Eurovision song contest

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
The Eurovision song contest has been run and won for another year. Much to the disappointment of a few who haven't heard the result yet - Turkey won.

This year's contest will not be remembered for being held in Riga, Turkey winning or supplying any new acts but for the all time low that the UK team provided us with.
Yes, 0, that was the total number of votes polled by the UK act Jemmi. It is a new low, normally you get one vote from the Swedes in sympathy. Malta managed 4 which now looks respectable. This is the lowest score ever and the first time an act has failed to score.

The UK has a pretty poor record in this competition and has consistently avoiding relegation because of the tv rights they pay, but this time they should be banned. For anyone who is into pain and suffering or wants to become a torturer, watch it. I've seen much better Karoke at the pub, actually I reckon I've sung better than them, and this is from a bloke who at a 21st was told by the compere at the karoke he'd buy us a round of drinks if we promised not to sing again that night because he need to keep SOME customers.

Tatu, the Russian lesbian duet, were tipped to win but were actually beaten into third by the surprise of the night the Belgium entry.

Anyway good watching to those who want to it is good fun.

yes, the UK should be permanently banned if even the Austrian act got some points and they got zero!

I can't believe Spain finished out of the top 3.....their song was certainly better than Belgium's and Russia's and how HOT was that spanish chick?? my god!!! *drools*

I flicked the telly onto SBS and watched this only 'coz there was no better alternative.

Mein Gott! What a hoot! I can't believe I've never watched this before!

That Austrian song was fantastic - best by a mile. Estonian effort was fairly good too, and the Belgian entry was interesting.

Fair comments about the Greek lass - she should've got a special prize for the most revealing outfit, and also for having the most to reveal ;)

Those presenters were sublime. The accents were great - I kept waiting for the lass to say "Victor, you are a very unattractive man" - would've been perfect.

How does the voting work - in particular, how could the poms get 0 votes?

Originally posted by Uncle Steve
Mein Gott! What a hoot! I can't believe I've never watched this before!

Those presenters were sublime. The accents were great - I kept waiting for the lass to say "Victor, you are a very unattractive man" - would've been perfect.

Do yourself a favour: 12:30pm next Sat, sit back and watch it all again with commentary by the BBC's Terry Wogan. You won't regret it.

Originally posted by Mr Eagle
Do yourself a favour: 12:30pm next Sat, sit back and watch it all again with commentary by the BBC's Terry Wogan. You won't regret it.

I think SBS should stick with Wogan's commentary, because Des wasn't up to it. Wogan's commentary during the voting is always priceless and biased, but Des said nothing during the voting which was very dissappointing. I can't wait to hear what Wogan has to say about the Great Britian getting Zero.

The Spanish chick was definately the best looking at the lot, but I thought Turkey deserved their victory. Overall I thought the standard was a little lower than previous years, but as always it was a hoot to watch.

Knuckles,

Are you taking the pi$$ here, or serious? I dunno, I don't follow Holly or the Euro thingy. I was listening to Ross Stevenson on 3AW this morning, and he played Holly's song after the winning Turkish entry, and yes, they are identical.

They gave the impression that Holly had been ripped off, but which is which? I won't be rushing out to buy either, though.

Originally posted by DEVO
The Spanish chick was definately the best looking at the lot

even the woman who read out the results from Spain was stunning!! she was gorgeous! I am booking the next flight out to Espana :)

Originally posted by bulldogs1
Knuckles,

Are you taking the pi$$ here, or serious? I dunno, I don't follow Holly or the Euro thingy. I was listening to Ross Stevenson on 3AW this morning, and he played Holly's song after the winning Turkish entry, and yes, they are identical.

They gave the impression that Holly had been ripped off, but which is which? I won't be rushing out to buy either, though.

Just a question. So who had this popular tune first? Isn't it meant to be a contest of original songs? Who was first?

Iwouldn't buy it either.:p

I don't know why we're wasting bandwith on this, but your point is correct. I was thinking the same thing. Someone on these boards will clear it up.

Popular:):):)
Originally posted by knuckles
Just a question. So who had this popular tune first? Isn't it meant to be a contest of original songs? Who was first?

Iwouldn't buy it either.:p

Watched this last night, absolutely loved the Austrian entry. Hah!

As for the Turkish entry, the beginning did sound a lot like "Kiss Kiss" but once it got into the song, it obviously wasn't. I don't know much about Turkish music, but remember that Kiss Kiss was a Turkish song to begin with, so whether it just sounded similar to me because of the similar influences etc, I don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that Iceland was good
How funny was the guy who sung second in German from Austria… LOL… ****er! & How he was bobbing up & down & pointing… LOL…
With the guy from Ireland I was just waiting for him to start river dancing. LOL… & I swear that he wasn’t really playing the guitar…..
When they had close ups of the Turkish chick – she looked like something out of buffy…… i didnt even think that she was good
I think they mis-sewed that chick from Malta’s top… it was missing a lot on one side & had too many extra bits on the other side…
Heheh the backing vocals for the German orange haired chick – they must be the German version of the wiggles… LOL i thought that she was alright - even though it was about being "happy" & being "gay"
Tatu Same whining as their English songs….
I reckon Netherlands were really good – better than Iceland now I reckon they should have won
yeah i was a bit surprised that the UK got no votes - all the guy needed from that group was a bulldogs jumper & he would have been nathan brown...
POLAND – HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Looks like he was wearing PJ’s under that trenchcoat with the red-pink hair…
Belguim – looked like the Corrs to start off with when they had the video of them @ that farm place… WHAT THE - werent they the ones they said were singing in a made up language…..
Whats with the Romanian chicks voice & those dancing DJ’s in the background
I was thinking that the Swedish chick was taller than the guy – BUT NO I reckon its her 1mile high stiletos (SP)
Slovenia – I think I had a Barbie that had clothes like hers – with that big frill over the shoulder….

i watched all the performances & then a few of the countries giving in the votes & then watched the rest this morning after i got home from uni just hoping that no one else would ruin the surprise

A great night as always.

I loved the final judge walking off before giving the votes - what a crack-up. The Bosnian judge stuffing up the votes was pretty funny too.

Germany and Austria provided the comic relief, although Cyprus managed to wheel out the traditional hairy guy in white suit with a mullet and his cousins singing in the background. Apparently it was the 1st song he had every written!

TaTu's outfit and song was poor - for a group managed like them I expected better.

I liked Iceland and Estonia's entries. Latvia's was rubbish.

Worst of the night - UK by a mile, truly shocking effort. I will be taping the replay just to hear Wogan at his finest.

Another funny contest. As GH said, Germany and Austria were hilarious. I loved the Latvian hosts repartee. Boy were they keen to get the votes out of the judges quickly.

Here's a drinking game that exists for watching the contest:

Drink two fingers...

Performers

Performer resembles someone you know.
Performer resembles another famous person. Drink four fingers if that person is present in the audience. Drain your glass if the camera zooms in and lingers on that person.
Singers wave their arms around whilst singing.
Singers put excessive emotion into their singing.
Tacky and nonsensical song titles (shoo-wop etc.)
Main singer is grossly overweight.
Singers try to join in with musicians during instrumentals.
France does not conduct a musical experiment.
Retro/out-of-date clothing and hairstyles.
Singer from eastern Europe has faked blond hair.
Bad dress-sense. Four fingers if it's blatently offensive.
Visible/prominant nipples/genitalia.
The Maltese performer does not have a hairy chest.
High & loud obnoxious noises emitted from singer during their act.
Unnecessary dancing.
Act steals ideas from Eurovision acts from previous years
Interaction with the audience. Four fingers if the audience is unusually passive.
Dancing that surpasses belief and credibility.
Foreign acts sing in English.
Singer flirts with the camera when she has finished her song.
The song goes up half an octave in the last refrain.
A style of music that would be ruined by appearing in EuroSong.
A country from Former Yugoslavia has a depressing song.
Countries where the lead singer is not a native of that country.
Use of atmospheric panpipes

The judging

Reference made to Norway's null point.
Cyprus gives Greece 12 points.
Every time Norway gives Sweden any points but not vice-versa.
Every time there is an Irish performer in a foreign act.
France gives United Kingdom null point.
Acts where the lead singer is attractive and receive high (8+) points and the act is crap.
Surprising voting - you judge what's surprising!
United Kingdom come second.
Ireland win yet again.
A question about Israel's presence.
Politically-related effects during the act (eg. Croatian singer removing black gown to reveal white dress signifying "coming out of the darkness and into the light").
Acts are on their mobile phone to their family during voting. Increase to a whopping four fingers if they're on the phone during their act.

Television coverage & venue

Bad telecommunications link.
Preview video is completely pointless and/or a blatant fragmented tourist advert for the host country
Preview video is full of gormless smiles.
National symbols are seen somewhere.
Special effects are:
Cheesy
Better than the song
Both (obviously this is a case for four fingers' worth)

Drain your glass

If the winning country decline to hold the event next year due to:
Financial reasons
Political reasons
Personal reasons
Moral reasons
All of the above
If Germany spares one single point for her southern neighbour, Austria.
If your own country comes first.
If Norway does not give Sweden any points.
Drink everything in sight if the United Kingdom come first and you're British.
If Greece gives Turkey any points then stop drinking!. This is very unlikely to happen so you must be veeeeeery drunk at this time. GO TO BED.
Germany's song does not mention peace, happy or love...
Of course, it's always a good idea to try and consume a single shot of alcohol native to a given country.

Originally posted by sussudio
even the woman who read out the results from Spain was stunning!! she was gorgeous! I am booking the next flight out to Espana :)

The best looking chick I've ever seen on Eurovision was the Maltese babe from last year. Damn she was hot, and even the song was good. Shame the Eastern European Nations conspired against her.

I missed the main acts and only saw the voting but was perplexed that when ever the Russian entrant got a high score the crowd hissed and booed and applauded when she recieved a low score. What gives......was she that bad.Surely political, ethnic and cultural divisions haven't determined the outcome of such a glamorous and credible show.:D

I thought they were all ****. But that's whats good about it. I couldn't stand them speaking in french, why french? FFS!

Also, the funniest moment for me was when the germans were giving their votes the guy said "And to our neighbours and Great Friends Poland, 5 votes!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Eurovision song contest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back