Discussion Expansion Teams: NSW, SA, QLD & WA

Which of the 4 teams would you prefer the most to be an AFL expansion team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Conversation surrounding the expansion of the 18 teams which are currently in the competition is focused on the untouched lands of Tasmania and even New Zealand. These two places, I believe, are viable expansion routes for the AFL to spread its influence through. However, we must think to the future 20 - 30 years ahead. The population of Australia is increasing at a prosperous rate which is ripe with opportunity...

Which is why I propose the AFL look into the possibilities of adding one or more teams to each state (non-Victorian) Here's just a mock up of some of the teams that could exist:

interstate expansion.jpg

Each of the states mentioned could easily support three AFL teams 20 years from now.

Please feel free to share your opinion, post your own teams (jumpers, logos etc.) and converse about this idea.

Norwood but only if they go in as the Redlegs.
I initially thought about doing the Redlegs but only problem is obviously Melbourne and too a lesser extent Carlton. Port Adelaide was put in that situation when they join so I imagine Norwood would be similar. Still keeping their state team in SANFL as Redlegs but for the sake of joining the AFL they'd need to rebrand.

Each of the states mentioned could easily support three AFL teams 20 years from now.
3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif

I don't think that it would be easy for Norwood to survive in the AFL in 20 years time. The time for SANFL clubs to make the leap to AFL has already passed, and I doubt that you'd get enough people to identify with their area over 'Adelaide' for any South, North, East, West club to work either.

3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif

I don't think that it would be easy for Norwood to survive in the AFL in 20 years time. The time for SANFL clubs to make the leap to AFL has already passed, and I doubt that you'd get enough people to identify with their area over 'Adelaide' for any South, North, East, West club to work either.
Good point about the survivability of Norwood, to be honest I don't really know too much about the SANFL's demographics myself. According to the ABS Adelaide is projected to have 3.4 million inhabitants so I think it would be plausible for another team to fit in there. Keep in mind that Melbourne has a population of roughly 4.7 million and easily supports 10 teams (albeit with supporters throughout the entire state), so making 3 urban-centered teams with a population of 3.4 million would in my mind be a possibility.

Good point about the survivability of Norwood, to be honest I don't really know too much about the SANFL's demographics myself. According to the ABS Adelaide is projected to have 3.4 million inhabitants so I think it would be plausible for another team to fit in there. Keep in mind that Melbourne has a population of roughly 4.7 million and easily supports 10 teams (albeit with supporters throughout the entire state), so making 3 urban-centered teams with a population of 3.4 million would in my mind be a possibility.
You have to factor in that it will be far easier for the Crows and Power to pick up those fans though. A city of 3.4 million should be able to support three teams but starting so far behind the other two clubs would make it so hard for them to survive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well to be frank, the only two states out of the four that could use an expansion are WA and SA. NSW and QLD give just about zero f**ks about footy, question is, how many fans would they attract?

The only reason Victoria supports 10 clubs is thanks to the VFL days

A third WA club would either have to be in the Southwest/ Great Southern Region (which is pretty much set up to explode population wise over the next 30 or so years), or in the Kimberly region. I can't see a third Perth club happening tbh.

What are the chances of the AFL choking out funding for the smaller Melbourne clubs to move them interstate? I see that as a more likely avenue for 'expansion' tbh. A club like North could easily move West with the amount of support they have over here.

Well to be frank, the only two states out of the four that could use an expansion are WA and SA. NSW and QLD give just about zero f**ks about footy, question is, how many fans would they attract?
In Queensland AFL is growing in popularity faster than any state. 20 years from now if merely 15% of the population watched footy it would be easy to support 3 teams.

A third WA club would either have to be in the Southwest/ Great Southern Region (which is pretty much set up to explode population wise over the next 30 or so years), or in the Kimberly region. I can't see a third Perth club happening tbh.

What are the chances of the AFL choking out funding for the smaller Melbourne clubs to move them interstate? I see that as a more likely avenue for 'expansion' tbh. A club like North could easily move West with the amount of support they have over here.
Yeah I can definitely see the AFL trying something like that. However right now I feel like Victoria should at all times have 10 clubs in order to keep the game at its roots (if that makes sense :S) Moving the Kangaroos to Tasmania or wherever the hell the AFL wants to take them and it could open up the possiblity of spawning a new Victoria team such as Ballarat.

In Queensland AFL is growing in popularity faster than any state. 20 years from now if merely 15% of the population watched footy it would be easy to support 3 teams.
They can't even support one at the moment.
The SANFL and VFL were both formed in 1877. Both states have just as much history with Aussie rules.
Only one runs the national competition.

The SANFL and VFL were both formed in 1877. Both states have just as much history with Aussie rules.
No doubt, but the people that supported VFL teams had their teams right the way through and didn't have to change alliances. Norwood (seeing that's the example you've used) have a tick over 3000 members. I'll be reasonable and give them those members at an AFL level, but if there's old supporters , I'm not sure many will be pulled from Adelaide (or port for that matter) back to support a green and black 'sharks' because they used to support a red and blue 'redlegs'.

No doubt, but the people that supported VFL teams had their teams right the way through and didn't have to change alliances. Norwood (seeing that's the example you've used) have a tick over 3000 members. I'll be reasonable and give them those members at an AFL level, but if there's old supporters , I'm not sure many will be pulled from Adelaide (or port for that matter) back to support a green and black 'sharks' because they used to support a red and blue 'redlegs'.
I just used Norwood because they were the most notable apart from Adelaide and Port. :p The teams on there are just mock ups. Maybe a 'Southern Coast' team could be made to broaden it out like they've done with GWS might work.

While I don't disagree that QLD and NSW absolutely don't need another team, I think you'd be surprised about the care factor. GWS has made massive improvements in the area. I've seen so many people wearing AFL gear on the trains and in the streets in the last 3 or so years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Expansion Teams: NSW, SA, QLD & WA

Back