Mod. Notice Expression of interest for Player Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Hey everyone, as it's the end of the year, we are looking for the very first time to write up our player reviews. While I think we will do it tough to get all the players done as we are a bit light on board members. But if we get the main guys done that would be great.

So this is how it will work. Below I will provide a list of every player on our list. Then you can post a reply saying which player you want, and then we will stick your name next the player

As a guideline this a review done by 'Sunny" last year:

#16 - Rory Thompson
Height: 200cm
Games: 8
Goals: 2
Debut: Round 16
Recruited: Southport
A Man Reborn
As the only local boy in the senior list for the Gold Coast Suns, it took a long while for Thompson to make his mark.
As a forward/ruck, Thompson appeared to be in an ill fated position. Not only was there plenty of young forward options that the Suns had access to that were above his skill level, but there were also plenty of ruck stocks. To be worthy of a senior call-up, he needed to shine. He needed to kick goals consistently.
He didn't.
Appearing to struggle in the twos, a decision by Reserves coach Shaun Hart potentially saved his career mid-season. As a one-off, he was thrown in the back-line to see how he would go. Much to the surprise of Hart, McKenna and his teammates, Thompson was one of the best players on the day. Rory hasn't looked back since. He made his senior debut in round 16, and missed only one game after this.
Reborn as a tall defender, Rory proved to not only have the height to go with the opposition forwards, but also the size. His sheer bulk helped him out immensely, with an added bonus that he was not taking the oppositions Key Forward, a job usually taken by Nathan Bock.
His playing style appears to be simple. If he can't get in a good position to take the mark, just punch it. Indeed, Thompson's spoiling ability is something well noted by Suns fans, something that his added height and size helps with.
Perhaps a bonus for Thompson is that while he has been reborn mostly as a defender, he still has the skills as a forward and ruck. He will never be a solid forward option, but the round 22 game against the Crows showed that he's able to swing forward and kick ripper goals if needed.
With a booming kick that can accurately hit a target from 60 meters away, Rory has very much cemented himself as a starter in the 22. One can almost see him becoming a Merret like spoiler in the future, at least until he can better learn to position himself against the competitions best forwards.
Asked how he felt about the discovery, Bluey McKenna said that he was 'ecstatic', a token felt by many Suns fans. It's difficult to believe he has played less than 10 games, and looks certain to take the AFL world by storm in the 2012 season.
With another pre-season in him, it would not be surprising from this Suns fan to see a rising star nomination from him in the 2012 season.

And here are the players:

Taylor Adams
Kurt Aylett
Dean Brogan
Josh Bruce
Tomas Bugg
Matthew Buntine
Jeremy Cameron
Stephen Clifton
Stephen Coniglio
Chad Cornes
Sam Darley
Phil Davis
Tom Downie
Shaun Edwards
Israel Folau
Jonathan Giles captainmycaptain
Tim Golds
Toby Greene Andre the Giant
Joshua Growden
Curtly Hampton Kulak
Nick Haynes
Jack Hombsch
William Hoskin-Elliot
Adam Kennedy
James McDonald
Anthony Miles
Tim Mohr
Setanta O'Hailpin
Rhys Palmer
Jonathon Patton
Luke Power
Sam Reid
Sam Schulz
Tom Scully
Dylan Shiel
Devon Smith
Liam Sumner
Adam Tomlinson
Jacob Townsend
Adam Treloar
Dom Tyson
Gerard Ugle
Callan Ward
Mark Whiley
Nathan Wilson
Sam Frost
Andrew Phillips
Rhys Cooyou

Looks like we are bit short on volunteers at the moment but to get things rolling I will put myself down for Jonathan Giles. Hope to soon to see other put there hand up to do a review or 2

Mate I will have a crack. I'm still a bit new to the game myself as I grew up in Sydney and was a big rugby league fan with a passing interest in AFL but this year decided to get more of an interest with GWS as I grew up in the south west and also spent a period in St Marys as a youngster.

I'll start with Toby Greene and see how I go, if it's rubbish feel free to pull it down ;-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back