Extra time in H & A rounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the draw still has a place in our game. It adds an extra element to the season as such. The points are supposed to go to whoever plays better during the 2 odd hours of game time, not during extra time. Even if that means that the points have to be shared...

Plus Demetriou and his gang have screwed around with our game enough ;)

I am in favour of retaining the draw in the Home and Away rounds and not having extra time. However if there are no draws in Home and Away rounds with all games going to extra time for break any deadlock, then I really don't see the need to award a arbitrary number of points for a win either.

So the current system of awarding 4 points for a win should probably go as well.

Eligbility for the finals will just be decided on number of wins and then percentage. e.g. 12 wins = 12 points.

Can someone explain to me how this change would improve the game?

The only consequence I can see is that people will simply change the argument and start debating the merits of overtime/golden goal/penalty shootouts/etc

I can't see how it would add anything other than giving one team a bonus two points and taking two off the other.

However it would have made the sirengate game and aftermath far more entertaining. :D

A hypothetical situation

It is the last game of the season - The two teams that are 8th and 9th are playing each other in the last round, in the last game of the season. They both have 12 wins.

The team that is 7th also has 12 wins, but a much better percentage.

In theory - the team in 7th should be secure in a place. Yet freakishly - the last game ends in a draw and the teams in 8th and 9th end with 12.5 wins - knocking out the team who was 7th.

Is this really fair?

Neither team is good enough to score the win.... Should they really BOTH get into the finals for their mediocrity???

They should never change the draw in the H&A season.
Its fair and the only way to go, changing it just to suit the 15 people calling for it and throwing away 150 years of history is just wrong.

A hypothetical situation

It is the last game of the season - The two teams that are 8th and 9th are playing each other in the last round, in the last game of the season. They both have 12 wins.

In theory - the team in 7th should be secure in a place. Yet freakishly - the last game ends in a draw and the teams in 8th and 9th end with 12.5 wins - knocking out the team who was 7th.

Is this really fair?

Neither team is good enough to score the win.... Should they really BOTH get into the finals for their mediocrity???
Of course it's fair.

7th should've won more games. They only won 12, the other two won twelve and a half.

My goodness. Next you'll be saying that a team on 7.26 whose full forward hit the post after the siren should beat a side on 10.10 because that would be more "fair"

A hypothetical situation

Is this really fair?

I have an even better hypothetical situation
7th 12 wins 90.1%
8th 12 wins 90%
9th 11 wins 90.1%

7th has already played
9th beats 8th by 1pt which move 8th above 7th on %. 8th loses againts 9th but still get to play finals ahead of 7th.

Is that fair?

Where here in the States the general consensus is "overtime, duh," footy is a great sport with rare draws.

Earlier in the thread, someone said they don't like the "three different outcomes of a drawn match" through H&A and Finals, which I agree with - I work for the NHL and we have a much worse distinction...regular season and playoffs are incredibly different in their rules and are considered two different seasons.

To the above, there is a possibility for drawn matches to NOT have extra time, even in the finals: advance the higher seed when both teams finish even. It's rare enough that it probably won't impact how the game is played too much, and is fair in that you call on past results to find a "winner." It also gives that little tangible edge to the team that did better in H&A.

But ultimately, I think everyone would rather see the 5 minutes of extra time, and in fact I'd only fight for that idea if I were rebuilding the game and league from the ground up.

Of course it's fair.

7th should've won more games. They only won 12, the other two won twelve and a half.

My goodness. Next you'll be saying that a team on 7.26 whose full forward hit the post after the siren should beat a side on 10.10 because that would be more "fair"

Hitting the post is 2 points? 3 points?
That's actually not the worst concept in the world, give a team 2 behinds for hitting the post...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh dear, rawling is trying to deflect away from his coaching shortcomings.:eek: 43 points up should mean a win if they can manage the players for the remainder of the match.

the real problem is why they couldnt win

Should still keep the draw in H&A matches. If extra time was to be introduced...would it be 2 x 5 min halves?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just no.

A draw in the season gives the sides playing two points. That may be the two points the side needs or loses that makes a difference. If they're not good enough in normal time then that is how it stands.

In finals a result is needed to advance to the next round. Re-playing a drawn game may actually disadvantage sides that then have to sit out another a week, hence the need for playing until a result is formed.

Just no.

A draw in the season gives the sides playing two points. That may be the two points the side needs or loses that makes a difference. If they're not good enough in normal time then that is how it stands.

In finals a result is needed to advance to the next round. Re-playing a drawn game may actually disadvantage sides that then have to sit out another a week, hence the need for playing until a result is formed.
If a team wins in extra time those two extra points could be the difference between making finals or not.

There are no draws in any of the finals, including the Grand Final now... so why are there draws in the H&A season?

Because H&A games are for premiership points and it's a simple matter (and logical) to award half the points to each team.

True. Or it could work the way it always has.
That's not a good reason to not change something though. I don't actually have an opinion either way (I think my nostalgia for draws probably sways me toward the status quo), but I think the AFL should weigh up the merits of both without making a decision based upon what currently happens.

That's not a good reason to not change something though. I don't actually have an opinion either way (I think my nostalgia for draws probably sways me toward the status quo), but I think the AFL should weigh up the merits of both without making a decision based upon what currently happens.
I agree, but IMHO no compelling argument for change has been made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Extra time in H & A rounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back