Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan says sorry to footy fans uncomfortable with security presence
AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has apologised to fans who have felt intimidated by security guards at matches.

McLachlan met with Marvel Stadium chief Michael Green on Monday to discuss what measures would be adjusted to calm irate fans.

In an exclusive interview with the Herald Sun, Mr McLachlan said: “It hurts me that our fans are feeling intimidated at our games.

“I’m sorry they are feeling intimidated. If people are feeling threatened we obviously will listen ... I’m appalled.

“It hurts me to hear our administration is not looking after the fans.’’

"I'm sorry they are feeling intimidated"... the quintessential Clayton's apology.

Will sit back and see what transpires, especially at the Collingwood game.

Turn it up.

No they were spot on the money actually.
He has no idea who the security people are and what their backgrounds are. Made assumptions based on their appearance. Highly doubtful that Jeff is ‘scared’ to barrack. Give it a spell Jeff. Inflammatory comments aren’t helpful. Talk about a stupid contribution to the debate.

That Video just shows how precious we all have become, drinking full strength, smoking, standing up. No one needed a comfortable seat and nothing bothered anyone.
I wonder how many of these genuine footy supporters still go to games?
I would of been at that game as a 13 year old Lions supporter with my mum. Like the guys Nan above turned into the devil at games :)
I remember going to the cricket with my brother helping him carry his esky full of beers.

Times have changed.. yes hardly go to footy anymore.. hate docklands no vibe, crap seats unless you pay $$$$$$.
Which leaves the MCG as a Lions supporter thats one game a year if your lucky.

Last edited:
He has no idea who the security people are and what their backgrounds are. Made assumptions based on their appearance. Highly doubtful that Jeff is ‘scared’ to barrack. Give it a spell Jeff. Inflammatory comments aren’t helpful. Talk about a stupid contribution to the debate.
Jeff can sometimes trigger 'people', can't he.

You only need to see a pack of them form, spot the skip mate. The one game I attended, someone yelled, pull your head our of your arse Pies (we were playing bad) and 5 mins later 6 to 8 of them showed up. I personally don't care what race they are, or when they arrived, they are doing a job many won't but the way they are conducting themselves is poor, especially at Marvel which has been a problem for years.

I just want to say one thing to Gil, this is what happens when you are asleep at the wheel, worried about social programs and other BS.

The game is no good, you made rule changes to increase scoring the opposite happened, you changed the rules cos of Green and took out the speccy. No one knows what the **** is going on out there anymore, so many rule changes and constantly changing interpretations.

Stick to your core business and leave social programs to the politicians and public servants.

He took long enough to apologize.

It's not really an apology at all though, is it? "I'm sorry they feel that way" and "It hurts me to hear..." fall short.

"I/we made a mistake" should be the minimum. Needs to do better at tomorrow's presser.

Until then... dedicated to Gil.

You only need to see a pack of them form, spot the skip mate. The one game I attended, someone yelled, pull your head our of your arse Pies (we were playing bad) and 5 mins later 6 to 8 of them showed up. I personally don't care what race they are, or when they arrived, they are doing a job many won't but the way they are conducting themselves is poor, especially at Marvel which has been a problem for years.
Has it been a problem for years though or are you getting carried away? Considering you’ve only attended one game -are you an authority?
Spot the skip- seriously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and perceived racism. 99.9% vehemently against it, but it seems they(AFL) like to bang the drum and piggyback zeitgeist mores to signal a moral superiority

Meh, Gill wants to be loved by Guardian readers, seemingly has nothing but contempt for those who actually attend games (thats not what pays his bonus).

Adelaide squattocracy and it shows.

Does everyone appreciate we will likely have either the AFL, AFL's PR consultants, and/or SEN'sCrocmedia PR team, monitoring threads and opinion and operating SOCKPUPPET accounts to affect threads. Like the SEN talkback-line, material percent are phony callers. If a post seems fishy(phishy) see the account and posting history to verify legitimacy.

Will and likely are redundant.

All I heard on SEN was all about this. I fear for my two boys when they grow up. We live in a world where if we have an opinion that is different to others or dont meet societies values and opinion we are hated for it. People look to be offended, I genuinely believe people go out of their ways to become offended. This country is ****ed. I hope none of you on here actively go out and try to get offended just for the sake of it.

Awesome reply, totally worthwhile.
P.S Electric Wizard are as cool as a kick in the nuts!

You keep on venting your pent up rage at all the "girly men" "pussies" "SJWs" and whatever other pathetic epithets you can muster. Don't worry I'm sure one day you'll find a way to release all that testosterone...

I've seen both go up and down the aisles at every game I've been to for years.
I just ignore them. They may be doing it a bit more lately but I think a lot of it is now people consciously looking for them after the media storm.
Like those awareness officers in the vests, they've been walking around all year but people only really noticed/melted over them this weekend because of all the media bs. They are also spying on us with remote control cameras every game, it's just part of life these days.

All I heard on SEN was all about this. I fear for my two boys when they grow up. We live in a world where if we have an opinion that is different to others or dont meet societies values and opinion we are hated for it. People look to be offended, I genuinely believe people go out of their ways to become offended. This country is ******. I hope none of you on here actively go out and try to get offended just for the sake of it.
So where do the extra security come from? Coles and Woolies car park?

Lol- Gil is so not a guardian reader.

Gilligan strikes me as more of a Garfield comic reader

mn2yudoo0tj21.jpg

It wasn't an unfair point to raise, especially if this is true:

Some people are too busy trying to make demons of essentially decent men.
It wasn't an unfair point to raise, especially if this is true:

Some people are too busy trying to make demons of essentially decent men.

There's a lot out there that Jeff appears to have hurt. Even when he is speaking up against the corrupt AFL administration for the good of the game, they still want to find fault.

So where do the extra security come from? Coles and Woolies car park?

Doesnt take a genius to figure this out

- Go to stadium, become security guard
- Kick person out of stadium for calling umpire a bad person
- Call friend to meet him out front
- Drop off deliquient at Uber pick up zone
- Throw deliquinent into friends car
- Drive delinquient to city with City event surcharge fee applied

Do that 20 times in one night and you are killing it

Doesnt take a genius to figure this out

- Go to stadium, become security guard
- Kick person out of stadium for calling umpire a bad person
- Call friend to meet him out front
- Drop off deliquient at Uber pick up zone
- Throw deliquinent into friends car
- Drive delinquient to city with City event surcharge fee applied

Do that 20 times in one night and you are killing it
Had a mate a few years back got a security gig at Subi. His idea was to watch the footy for nix . Didn,t work that way . They put the newbies outside the stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back