Portfolio Fancyscum's A-League Revamp

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to a refreshed take on CCM!
Was just deciding on who to do today, the Mariners it is then:
PjFlzjZ.png

Really nice, like the logo too. Have you considered tweaking the waves in the logo to make them look like two "letter Cs" perhaps? Another suggestion, does the dark blue kit work if it was a direct inverse of the yellow one? (But with a full light-blue sash with two yellow pinstripes on the outside of them?)

Great stuff.

Last edited:

Unification of West Adelaide & Adelaide City supporters under a neutral non-ethnic-based entity.
I could get behind this team. In soccer United = Merger. So this team would be the perfect Adelaide United. One of my pet hates is when teams adopt names that don't make sense. (Example: Real Salt Lake makes no sense because they're American, Calling a soccer team "Sporting" even though they play one sport etc. etc.)

Maybe if you did some research before posting this wouldn't have happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Salt_Lake#Name
I've already seen that so stop assuming and let me explain.
Let's take Real Madrid and analyse their name. In Spanish it means Royal Madrid. This makes sense as they have received patronage from a Spanish king.
Now for Salt Lake, who play in America who speak English, the name means Proper Salt Lake or Legitimate Salt Lake. They have not received patronage from a Spanish king and, correct me if I'm wrong here they needed permission from Real Madrid (rather than a Spanish King) and chose the name before their affiliation began.

Maybe if you did some research before posting this wouldn't have happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Salt_Lake#Name

what does that prove? it still makes no sense because they're american. Salt Lake didnt receive royal patronage from a spanish monarch so why do they use the word?
your link only proves his point. the word has no true meaning to salt lake and is a cheap rip off from spain

what does that prove? it still makes no sense because they're american. Salt Lake didnt receive royal patronage from a spanish monarch so why do they use the word?
your link only proves his point. the word has no true meaning to salt lake and is a cheap rip off from spain
Cultural Appropriation comes to mind for me.

Taking after European naming convetions is infinitely better than garbage nicknames like "The Sounders" or "Impact" or "Fire" which don't suit the sport and are incredibly lame attemps at a unique image.

i dont mind names like united etc. but using 'real' just feels like a really cheap rip off. and that link confirmed it, the owner chose the name because he saw real madrid while in spain and thought it sounded cool and worked for them. I think its the language and cultural difference that makes it not work for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking after European naming convetions is infinitely better than garbage nicknames like "The Sounders" or "Impact" or "Fire" which don't suit the sport and are incredibly lame attemps at a unique image.

I don't mind the Sounders as a unique name and identity but the other ones suck. Dallas Burn was a terrible name.

I've already seen that so stop assuming and let me explain.
Let's take Real Madrid and analyse their name. In Spanish it means Royal Madrid. This makes sense as they have received patronage from a Spanish king.
Now for Salt Lake, who play in America who speak English, the name means Proper Salt Lake or Legitimate Salt Lake. They have not received patronage from a Spanish king and, correct me if I'm wrong here they needed permission from Real Madrid (rather than a Spanish King) and chose the name before their affiliation began.
And Fizzler goes BOOM :clapping:

Yeah I agree with that, but those names are unique. If I say "did you watch United on the weekend?" I could be talking about Manchester, West Ham, Newcastle or even Leeds. At least if I say Sounders it instantly means Seattle.

Unification of West Adelaide & Adelaide City supporters under a neutral non-ethnic-based entity.
But didn't Adelaide City and West Adelaide still exist? I know soccer is rife with diluted clubs, inter-breeding, half-identities... but at the same time, it seems like it was created by a random bloke piggybacking off the fact the two old SA teams were turfed from the comp. It's not like the two old ones actually combined for a new side.

I think it's lame trying to copy overly European names, unless they're actually suitable. United and City are okay but pretty flakey and boring to me. If you ask me, all the aborted team names for the second Melbourne side were really good – 'Sporting Melbourne,' 'Melburnians.' These names were unique but classic sounding. They made sense because of the sports-connection the city has, and Melburnians just genuinely sounds cool, but like it could be an Argentinian side too.

Seattle Sounders is a ****in great name as far as I'm concerned: Seattle is an inlet near a sound, and there's also the wordplay of Seattle Sound – probably the most well-known thing about the city, and especially topical in the mid-90s when the franchise came about. It is corny and American but most US sports team names are... and I mean, have you seen MLS coverage? 'Practice' instead of 'training,' 'tie' instead of 'draw,' the artificial turf... it's an OTT version of the game so it seems it makes sense that the name is too.

Chicago Fire is odd... its named after an event that killed nearly 500 people and ravaged the whole city for decades. It's a bit like calling a team Victorian Bushfires or the Port Arthur Shooters, but oh well...

I think we've done okay in Australia. Glory sucks, but the name 'Perth Glory' is pretty iconic in WA... everyone knows 'the Glory,' and it sounds really off when anyone just calls them 'Perth.' I think the Roar is lame on its own, but the history and lineage with the Lions soccer club, and the Dutch origins... Wollongong Wolves is one that gets me though. Aside from an alliteration, the name makes absolutely no sense, but to this day, it's still a strong, catchy, known name. If an Illawarra team ever came in with another name, it'd be a shame.

Overall, soccer is no different to footy or any other new start up. A good nickname is still a good name – it needs a connection to the area, an illiteration (both Western Sydney Wanderers), maybe something adaptable to an element on your strip (GWS), and it needs to be unique and grabbing to the target audience and the passive one. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

Chicago Fire is odd... its named after an event that killed nearly 500 people and ravaged the whole city for decades. It's a bit like calling a team Victorian Bushfires or the Port Arthur Shooters, but oh well...
I always liked the Chicago fire name but I guess when you put it like that it is a bit strange.

To this day, I am still totally shocked by how good the Wanderers whole identity is. One of the very, very few things the FFA haven't stuffed up even mildly.
Pretty sure it was done with the fans input, that's probably why.

Pretty sure it was done with the fans input, that's probably why.

Yep, that is exactly right. WSW asked fans what colours and designs they wanted. Red, black and white were the colours wanted and I believe that vertical stripes were the favoured design with fans (very similar to St. Kilda's home guernsey), but the horizontal stripes was a close second and was welcomed by the fans instantly. The FFA had nearly no say in the setup of the club when it came to identity, colours, and uniforms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Portfolio Fancyscum's A-League Revamp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back