Favourite Album Covers

Remove this Banner Ad

f32834k52jo.jpg

Amorica by The Black Crowes

What a surprise that Bunsen didn't rate The Clash. They were soft.. whatever you say BB. The London Calling album cover is a great *****take of a famous Elvis pose. They were the great band of the punk era.

I love The Pogues' "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash" cover. The letteringmis rubbish but the concept is clever.

Originally posted by The invisible mullet
What a surprise that Bunsen didn't rate The Clash. They were soft.. whatever you say BB. The London Calling album cover is a great *****take of a famous Elvis pose. They were the great band of the punk era.
No need to get your knickers in a slit - it's just an opinion.

Have you listened to the album lately? It's soft. Half the songs on the album sound like 50s teddy-boy songs. They use soft chords too. Their music simply doesn't match up to their 'hard' image.

btw. I don't dislike the clash. I like a handful of their songs. I just think London Calling is a crap album and I used to laugh when all these punks with this hard as nails image used to rate this album as a punk anthem.

Love the album cover though. Gives a strong vibe of energy, rebellion, and decadence. Shame the music lets the album cover down.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
No need to get your knickers in a slit - it's just an opinion.

Have you listened to the album lately? It's soft. Half the songs on the album sound like 50s teddy-boy songs. They use soft chords too. Their music simply doesn't match up to their 'hard' image.

btw. I don't dislike the clash. I like a handful of their songs. I just think London Calling is a crap album and I used to laugh when all these punks with this hard as nails image used to rate this album as a punk anthem.

Love the album cover though. Gives a strong vibe of energy, rebellion, and decadence. Shame the music lets the album cover down.

What punks have you been talking to? No one I know calls London Calling a 'punk' album. "The Clash" and (to a lesser degree)"Give 'em enough rope" are 'punk' albums.

To say its is soft...well that's your opinion. I mean you could argue it's soft compared to what Dead kennedys were doing at the same time.I still think it's a great album though.
As a matter of interest when did you first hear it?

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner
What punks have you been talking to? No one I know calls London Calling a 'punk' album. "The Clash" and (to a lesser degree)"Give 'em enough rope" are 'punk' albums.
Punk band, punk anthem, punk album.

To say its is soft...well that's your opinion. I mean you could argue it's soft compared to what Dead kennedys were doing at the same time.I still think it's a great album though.
It's soft compared to it's image. Punk music in general is soft. Not as soft as Bon Jovi, but still soft.

btw Dead Kennedys: Major lack of talent. The only people who thought they were any good were a bunch of wannabe rebellious teenagers.

As a matter of interest when did you first hear it?
1983. As Australia is a fair bit behind, there was quite a big skin/punk movement in Perth. Every secong punk/skin had a mohawk and London Calling t-shirt.

Not sure how to put images up on the forum, but the "Not so Tough Now" cover by Frenzal Rhomb is a beauty. It's just got a photo of a McDonalds that has been completely demolished, and the Golden Arches are laying sideways on the ground in front of it.

Punk band, punk anthem, punk album.

Still don't understand what you mean. Is that your opinion or the opinion of people you know who are/were punks?

It's soft compared to it's image. Punk music in general is soft. Not as soft as Bon Jovi, but still soft.
btw Dead Kennedys: Major lack of talent. The only people who thought they were any good were a bunch of wannabe rebellious teenagers.

Yeah well that's your opinion. You are entitled to it. Even if it is wrong!;)

1983. As Australia is a fair bit behind, there was quite a big skin/punk movement in Perth. Every secong punk/skin had a mohawk and London Calling t-shirt.

The reason I asked is that it broke through to mainsteam radio at the time and stood out like dogs balls for freshness and vitality compared to the crap that was being rammed down our throats on commercial radio and TV video shows.
I first heard London Calling half through 1979. Australia wasn't that fair behind, maybe your circle of friends were. I have friends who lived in Perth at the time (late 70's) and were into punk also Perth produced two of Australia's truly great punk bands in The Scientists and The (original) Manikins.

Still don't understand what you mean. Is that your opinion or the opinion of people you know who are/were punks?
When I listen to the album, it doesn't sound too punk to me. Punk music is soft, and this is even softer. But we can't deny the fact that The Clash were a punk band and it was predominantly punks who championed this album.

Yeah well that's your opinion. You are entitled to it. Even if it is wrong!
It's soft.

The reason I asked is that it broke through to mainsteam radio at the time and stood out like dogs balls for freshness and vitality compared to the crap that was being rammed down our throats on commercial radio and TV video shows.
That was back then. Listen to it now. It is disappointingly soft. Actually the whole punk scene of the late 70s had this image of hardness, notoriety, and decadence, but if you listen to it now, it is soft. It's nothing more than teenybopper music. The music doesn't live up to the image.

I first heard London Calling half through 1979. Australia wasn't that fair behind, maybe your circle of friends were. I have friends who lived in Perth at the time (late 70's) and were into punk also Perth produced two of Australia's truly great punk bands in The Scientists and The (original) Manikins.
Not my friends. Just dudes that went to my school who were feared by most. Punks and skins had a reputation for being psychos. Just happens they listened to pussy music. Shame we didn't know it back then. Then again, I was only 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it broke through to mainsteam radio at the time and stood out like dogs balls for freshness and vitality compared to the crap that was being rammed down our throats on commercial radio and TV video shows.
Could say the same thing about The Strokes today. Not necessarily a bad band, but their music is on the soft side. The difference is the Strokes aren't cruising around like they're 10 men.

Could say the same thing about The Strokes today. Not necessarily a bad band, but their music is on the soft side. The difference is the Strokes aren't cruising around like they're 10 men.

There is a difference in that The Strokes sound fairly derivative while punk sounds less derivative. I say less in that to an extent all rock music has roots (in London Calling there is a clear connection to rockabilly and american r&b - there's no shame in that). The clash were more musically interesting than most in that they married ska and reggae with high voltage r&b. They were, and remain, lyrically potent but should be seen in their context: London of the late 70s/early 80s - Thatcherism (and Reaganism), race riots, high unemeployment and inflation. London Calling and The Guns of Brixton are calls to arms, Lost in the Supermarket captures urban despair, Spanish Bombs invokes (somewhat naively) the idealism of the Spanish Civil war.when they sing Rudie can't fail you believe it. There is no softness in this record at all - but that's my opinion just as yours suggests otherwise.

Originally posted by The invisible mullet
There is a difference in that The Strokes sound fairly derivative while punk sounds less derivative. I say less in that to an extent all rock music has roots (in London Calling there is a clear connection to rockabilly and american r&b - there's no shame in that). The clash were more musically interesting than most in that they married ska and reggae with high voltage r&b. They were, and remain, lyrically potent but should be seen in their context: London of the late 70s/early 80s - Thatcherism (and Reaganism), race riots, high unemeployment and inflation. London Calling and The Guns of Brixton are calls to arms, Lost in the Supermarket captures urban despair, Spanish Bombs invokes (somewhat naively) the idealism of the Spanish Civil war.when they sing Rudie can't fail you believe it. There is no softness in this record at all - but that's my opinion just as yours suggests otherwise.
Apart from the last sentence, I don't doubt what you say. Like I said, image wise (and lyrically as you suggest), they were hard. Music wise, they were soft. When I mean soft, I mean soft chords and soft melodies.

I'm listening to the album as I write this, and I maintain it is soft.

Originally posted by Fwoy
I recall a Reverend Horton Heat album with a bar, complete with drinks on the front of the album, and a poker game taking place on the back cover.

The album was called "Liqour in the front, Poker in the back". :D

"Liquor in the front, poker in the rear"

Great album, and just the sort of humour you'd expect from the Reverend. What a fantastic party band.. regret not seeing them when they toured 2001-ish. Every song's a party song.

YEEE-HAW!

Originally posted by Darky
"Liquor in the front, poker in the rear"

Great album, and just the sort of humour you'd expect from the Reverend. What a fantastic party band.. regret not seeing them when they toured 2001-ish. Every song's a party song.

YEEE-HAW!

That's it...couldn't find a cover pic on the net, well, not the one I recall seeing at Missing Link a few years back...was the current cover always the cover?

d56270ii8y9.jpg

My favourite album covers:

...And Justice For All - the colour scheme and imagery is artistic (not powerful)

frizzle fry by primus - I like the clay (pool)

the chronic - Dr. Dre, smoke weed everyday

ritual de lo habitual - I don't know why but I like it

that megadeth album where the babies are hung on the clothes line

that ween album with big ****

britney spears - baby one more time- I want to **** her up the ass

as for the Clash - soft but still punk (I fought the law - and the law won!)

heres a couple i like..

UFO - Force It...with the play on the word for US faucet taps

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny...just great art in the classic sense

Iron Maiden - Killers ...Eddie is still one of the most distinctive and el primo metal images around..Riggs rules!

1028771.jpg

867222.jpg
maiden_killers.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite Album Covers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back