Favourite books/authors

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to crash your thread Lions fans! Just saw what you were talking about and it caught my eye.

To you Stocka and a bunch of others I highly recommend reading the Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness. It’s set on a planet somewhere at sometime in the future that a bunch of settlers/farmers have gone to for a better life. I don’t want to give the plot away as it’s really quite suspenseful, but the basic premise is that once the settlers arrive suddenly everyone can hear every mans thoughts, all the time without even trying.

It is one of the most profound book/s I have ever read.

The first book is called The Knife of Never Letting Go, the second The Ask and the Answer and the third Monsters of Men (which is still only available in hardcover, it came out mid year)

It is very clever, incredibly moving, deep and says a lot about society, trust, secrets, racism and war.

I can’t recommend it enough.

Yes, got them already! I got the hard-cover versions with the acetate dustcovers. A work of art! :thumbsu:

I should add that I haven't actually read them yet, but they do look good on the bookshelf! :D

Stocka: I was also very remiss to not recomment "The Dispossessed" by Ursula LeGuin.

Pretty much perfectly matches the criteria in what you were looking for.

Nice. I will have to give it a look.

Another book (completely different genre) that I'm thinking about reading sometime soon is 'Slaughterhouse-Five' by Kurt Vonnegut.

Yes, got them already! I got the hard-cover versions with the acetate dustcovers. A work of art! :thumbsu:

I should add that I haven't actually read them yet, but they do look good on the bookshelf! :D

Great! I hope you like them.

I love a good bookshelf/bookcover, it's one of the main reason i don't understand people wanting to read Ebooks.

I just finished 'Catcher in the Rye' today, Holden Caulfield is a very interesting character.

I once would have agreed with you but with each passing day the typeface of each book I read just seems to get smaller and smaller :(:eek:.

Yeah, and some of those new electronic displays are actually very easy on the eyes.

The Amazon Kindle "Electric Ink" screen is incredible.

The iPhone4 is very readable too.

Not the same as a good book, but they're getting closer.

So, today I bought 'Slaughterhouse 5', 'The Children of Men' and a book (in the post-apocalyptic genre) that we have all overlooked that we should not have, 'On the Beach' (Neville Shute).

So, today I bought 'Slaughterhouse 5', 'The Children of Men' and a book (in the post-apocalyptic genre) that we have all overlooked that we should not have, 'On the Beach' (Neville Shute).
Nah forget the book… ;)

In the film of the same name, although I’ve not seen for eons is if I recall correctly, some classic footage shot of Ava Gardners character ‘Moira Davidson’ driving along on an old piece of road between the Bluff car park and ‘corners’ near the current 13th Beach Road - Barwon Heads… in the grand old year of 1959.

The story/film – which is based in Melbourne, also has footage shot in Berwick and Phillip Island

Too late, I bought it! :D

Most times I've heard people talk about it they've held it in good esteem so I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get through it even if it's not the best book of all time.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a DVD of the original movie (there was also a television movie remake in 2000, I think).

Too late, I bought it! :D

Most times I've heard people talk about it they've held it in good esteem so I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get through it even if it's not the best book of all time.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a DVD of the original movie (there was also a television movie remake in 2000, I think).

Well knock me down with a feather -

**Spoilers** In Clip?… Have you finished reading it yet?? Too late, the last 10mins from youtube... :p

[youtube]upg2eqNbF3w[/youtube]

Clip starts [0:00]
Heading up to the Bluff from the caravan park – the mouth of the Barwon River, RAAF’s and Ocean Grove just to the top left, Collendina and ‘pig farm’ centre top with Point Lonsdale to the top right.

At [0:05] the ‘old road’ heading to ‘corners’ with Point Impossible and Torquay on the horizon… so as the Band plays Walzing Matilda….

[9:45] in the middle of the intersection of Flinders and Swanston looking west, Flinders St Station on the left – Young & Jacksons on the right and the clock tower at the intersection of Elizabeth and Flinders in the distance… and no traffic lights…

Yeah I've read enough about the book/film over the years to know what happens, roughly, so, not too many surprises in store. Thought I'd check in a JB Hi-Fi this afternoon after getting the book to see if they had the DVD. Apparently they can order it in.

Forgot to see if they had 'The Children of Men' on DVD, though! :p

Well, after having watched 'Mad Max' and 'The Road' (for the third time) recently, I've probably just about sated my appetite for post-apocalyptic plots for the time being without having actually read any of the books discussed or purchased.... :eek:

Now, to find something decent to read about rural Ireland! :D

Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie and With The Old Breed by E B Sledge. The Recent TV series The Pacific was based on these 2 books.

Picked them up for a tidy $6.99 each at QBD in the Myer Centre and read Leckies book in 4 days. It was so good I did not expect that Sledges book could be better but it is. A classic in Military memoir.

I read Tim Winton's "Land's Edge" the other day. A nice 'memoir' of sorts (pretty quick read).

I also re-read "The Great Gatsby". I had read it when I was about 17 and enjoyed it then, but enjoyed it even more this time, picking up on a few different things that I hadn't noticed the first time around.

I'm currently finishing off "The Broken Shore" by Peter Temple. It's been a great read so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going through a major Raymond Chandler phase at the minute. In short order have read The Big Sleep, The High Window and just about to start The Lady In The Lake. Really enjoying the whole 1940's Los Angeles crime thing.

Got hold of the film The Big Sleep, with Bogart playing Philip Marlowe. Classic movie.

Going through a major Raymond Chandler phase at the minute. In short order have read The Big Sleep, The High Window and just about to start The Lady In The Lake. Really enjoying the whole 1940's Los Angeles crime thing.

You should give James Ellroy a go too if you haven't already.

More particulary his L.A. quadrilogy - The Black Dahlia; The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential; and White Jazz.

So ****ing good.

To add to my previous reading of the English Civil War I recently added to that list "Going To the Wars" by Charles Carlton, "A Gambling Man Charles II and the Restoration" by Jenny Uglow and also the diaries of the times by Pepys and Evelyn to compliment them. All fascinating with the Uglow book a standout. The Times called it a "masterpiece" and they are close to the mark.

Gotta laugh at Pepys. 12 Feb 1660. "So to bed, where my wife and I had high words upon my telling her that I would fling the dog which her brother gave her out at the window if he pissed the house anymore"

Not much has changed between spouses and pet arguments in 400 odd years:D

Gotta laugh at Pepys. 12 Feb 1660. "So to bed, where my wife and I had high words upon my telling her that I would fling the dog which her brother gave her out at the window if he pissed the house anymore"

Not much has changed between spouses and pet arguments in 400 odd years:D

Yeah but if I know my Pepys... things heated up considerably 6 years later. ;)

You should give James Ellroy a go too if you haven't already.

More particulary his L.A. quadrilogy - The Black Dahlia; The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential; and White Jazz.

So ****ing good.

:thumbsu: Cheers for that. Will do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back