Favourite North American cities

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in Atlanta, but I wouldn't say it's my favourite place in NA by any stretch. Then again, I am sort of stuck in the burbs and that really doesn't help when it's a massive pain to get anywhere near the cooler parts of town.

I really like Athens in GA (home of the University of GA and just a cool, quintessential college town) and Savannah, although it can be unbearably hot.

Spent some time in SF and LA and I definitely liked SF more, even though the downtown area definitely had an aspect of seediness that put me off. Some fun neighborhoods though.

New York was great and I can see myself spending a lot of time there, but it is ridiculously large and kind of intimidating even for a city boy.

Have many more cities that I ought to see eventually, but as a working stiff and not a traveller that is not as easy as it once was.

Sounds like you haven't travelled enough and I mean no offense when I say that.

There are cities that are a million times worse than that in those regards.

However, I'm willing to admit having lived there perhaps you do get desensitized to it.

Traveled a fair bit. Been all around Australia and been to the States twice. Also been to Mexico (albeit mostly Cancun).

San Antonio was one of the worst places I've been to.

Got to go to one of the Gino's East places for some Chicago style pizza... Deep Dish=Delish!!! might as well head on south down to Indy as well for a visit!!!

3. Indianapolis, Indiana --- The most friendly city that I have ever been to. I was in the city during the city's biggest time of year (went to the Indy 500). Beautiful city.

Love to hear that my adopted city gets a mention!!! Lived here for almost 3 years now after moving up from DeLand, Florida..... Absolutely love living here in Indy!!!

I'm jealous of you all. Tell me, why did you visit america ie:

Business?
Sea change of sorts?
Holidaying?

I'd love to go there for an extended period of time, working my way around perhaps, just unsure i want to put the rest of my life on hold though.

Have many more cities that I ought to see eventually, but as a working stiff and not a traveller that is not as easy as it once was.

considering most workers here in the states only get 2 weeks off of work per year and those public holidays that no one other than schools and government offices recognize, but comes with the territory i suppose

My wife, son and I are heading off to Avon, Colorado in June.... Has anyone been out there??? I can't wait!!!

Like you said about the 2 weeks holidays... It is horrible I know!!!:thumbsdown:

The lack of annual leave is the main thing that turns me off moving to the US. Honestly, that's no way to live.

Yeah, it's pretty shit, but I guess I am used to it.

It's not something that has even entered into the national conversation either, so I cannot see it changing anytime soon.

NY, LA, and SF... as they all have airports offering flights back to Aust. :D

Business?
Sea change of sorts?
Holidaying?

I'd love to go there for an extended period of time, working my way around perhaps, just unsure i want to put the rest of my life on hold though.

I went over there twice in two seperate years on the J1 Visa (working holiday) and worked at Summer camps both times (one in Michigan the other in Florida). Was a good option for me, cause it meant I could stay longer, but without it costing me a huge amount of money either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of annual leave is the main thing that turns me off moving to the US. Honestly, that's no way to live.

Aye. It's the American way of life. You live to work. I much prefer the Australian way where we tend to work to live.

Business?
Sea change of sorts?
Holidaying?

I got a 6 month tourist visa which I overstayed by a few months but I worked when I was there mixed in with some travel. No way I could have stayed there that long just on my savings.

All you need to work there is two forms of ID, namely a drivers license and a social security number. I got my drivers license in Virginia which was piss easy compared to most other states where they require you to be a citizen or permanent resident. Just had to sit a written test and then drive with an instructor, which was basically just a lap around the block. One of my mates actually drove on the wrong side of the road at one stage and they still gave him his license.:D

Another mate of mine there hooked me up with a dodgy social security card and I was good to go. Probably a bit risky but I never had any problems, if you're white and speak English you tend to go under the radar. The authorities there are too busy trying to catch illegal Mexicans to worry about the odd Australian.

Business?
Sea change of sorts?
Holidaying?

I went to Canada first, not the America. I've only really seen the States on stop overs on flights between Canada and Australia. I'm sure I'll see much more of it now that I'm so close.

I did the pub thing in London after University but couldn't save enough money to see the rest of Europe. I didn't want to fly home yet so I caught a flight to Edmonton because I knew some people there. I ended up staying there for 9 months and I met a girl. She flew back to Melbourne with me and we lived there for 9 years, getting married in 2006. We just moved to Vancouver last year.

NY doesnt, does it?

Yeah... Qantas operate out of JFK directly to Aust... took a A380 flight from there 18 months ago.:thumbsu:

Just finished an epic roadtrip through the US and can safely say that my favourite city is Austin, TX.

Everyone there is young, cool, laidback and intelligent. The city encourages biking everywhere and Smart Cars are a great idea when you cant. Also just outside of Austin is Hill Country - an amazingly underrated part of the US. The U of T campus is beautiful and if you like film or music or having a great night, Austin has it. I want to live there one day - I love it.

Other favourites were Memphis, San Fran, NYC and NOLA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite North American cities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back