Favourite Richo Memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Ran into him at a Dandy Warhols concert at the Corner one night, with Andy Kellaway.

Totally dispelled my thoughts that you shouldn't meet your heroes.

Really knows his music, too.

I reckon his first game back in 1996 was up there. Massive effort.

He spiked the ball one day too, when given a dud call. That was great

I was 10 years old when Richo debuted. 10 years old! I can hardly remember a Richmond squad without the big fella.

I remember going to watch Coburg in the early 2000s in a preliminary final at Port Melbourne. All the Richmond players were around the other side of the ground. Richo was walking around the ground to get to them. There were these two boys kicking a footy behind the goals when the ball got stuck up the branch (Not that high but too high for kids). This happened just as Richo walked past. He went up plucked the ball out of the tree and kicked it to the kids. The look on the kids face when he realised who it was was priceless. He was shocked! Richo proceeded to kick the footy with them for a couple of minutes but to those kids it would have been a lifetime.

To me this really summed up the bloke: Legend!

dave rodan is the nicest guy you will ever come across. never has a bad word to say about anyone and anyone that knows him wouldnt have a bad word to say about him.

David Rodan is a terrific bloke - that part is spot on. But you shouldn't be talking on his behalf because its clear to everyone that you barely know him and you are just sounding like a tool.

Richo - absolutely super player - I loved the earlier description of a young Richo bounding around like a 2 year old colt - perfect! I remember him taking 20-odd marks v Fitzroy when he was about 20-21 and thought he looked scarily good. His 10 goal performance against my side - was so good I just ended up applauding how good he was that day. My old man was in the coaches box that day - Rhode and co had no idea what to do to stop him.

The game will miss his heart and character.

I was 10 years old when Richo debuted. 10 years old! I can hardly remember a Richmond squad without the big fella.

To me this really summed up the bloke: Legend!

I was 30 when he debuted and I can hardly remember a squad without the big fella.

Took success for granted early, then took footy for granted - Richo reminded me what it was all about.

well if he was a nuffy you guys drafted him. davld rodan........ only one of 2 players to ever win the morrish medal twice. and he got delisted due to injury not coz he was a nuffy. if somebody says something about richo and its true whats your problem? he was easily the biggest sook in footy. true or not??? not saying he wasnt a great player. highest goal kicker at the MCG

Look at the thread title, this is about your favourite memory.

Is dreaming that you went to school with Rodan and that he told you something negative about Richo your favourite moment? If not, then it's the wrong place to spread rumours.

Richo was passionate, would rather a Richo that shows his emotions to someone like Schulz who seemed like he didn't give a **** how shit he played or how many games his team lost.

Fact is thousands of Richmond supporters and football supporters in general have met Richo and I have not read or heard one bad word about him.

Love Richo... the game has lost a true character and great player... always seemed loyal to the Tigers and a proud Tasmanian...

I will remember just how much ground he could cover for a bloke of his size... and how good his hands were....

Congrats on a great career:thumbsu:

I'm heartbroken. I loved Richo. One of the best players ever and even better person.

Fondest memories of Richo -- I have a couple of personal ones;

I believe it was at Princes Park when he was just breaking into the Richmond side, early 90s. I was only a teenager at the time. I remember him kicking 6 or 7+ goals (may have been 9 or 10, I can't recall the final total) and being a one man show. It felt like Carlton Vs the Matthew Richardson show. You knew he was going to be special. I remember Chris Grant doing the same thing to us for the Bulldogs about the same time frame. He, Carey and Grant clearly the best three young forwards in the AFL at that time. Special to see.

The other not a Richmond one and I wish that he had have gotten to experience it for himself. When he was living with Brad Pearce and Ben Harrison back in 1995. He walked to the MCG on Grand Final day in 1995 with Brad and got there just as my mother and I were arriving. Of course we slowed down to wish Brad luck but Richo said "You've got it in the bag, enjoy it." I really do wish he had have gotten there himself - he deserved it.

In general just the way he [bold]always[/bold] came back from everything that happened to him throughout his career. When I had cancer in my right knee back in 2004 I thought of all the people that I knew who had overcome serious knee trauma - of course Richo was right up there and was a lot of motivation for me.

Will miss him, but of course he'll be around the game (or so I would hope).

Bless you Richo. Good luck Richmond Football Club. If you want to find solace in it Tiger fans - look at Carlton. Kouta won more games in 1995 than he did in the last half-decade that he played (if not more). It wasn't until after he retired that the club came back from the dead. I'm hoping it's the same for the Tigers. Now that we have Carlton (even with the Fev loss) and Collingwood almost back on top and Essendon have a lot of great youngstes it the traditional rivalries are returning but it wouldn't be complete without Richmond climbing back. So good luck Tigers! Good luck, Hardwick!

MCG greg staffords last game half way through the last quarter Stafford is standing in the goal square we started singing "Theres only one Greg Stafford .." we managed to continue right through the quarter and with minutes to go Richo jogged down to the square next to stafford had a chat to him then turned to the supporters and clapped them while the game was still going . Summed up the fella for me . Team man , big ticker and richmond supporter all in one ..

The only game i got to watch Richo live!!!! It was at subiaco, his first game on the wing against freo last yr. He was everywhere, just amazing.

Only now i know how lucky and privileged i was to watch Richo in action. He was a champion and the reason i have continued to support the tigers through tough times.

08 Brownlow when everyone at the Brownlow was cheering him on for the win was another great moment!!!

Too many too name, but one that sticks out is that mark he took of Heath Shaw in 07, wow what a leap!! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't particularly a great memory for me but I was blown away by his dominance against us at the SCG a few years ago when he booted seven. Absolute legend, it's an injustice that he played so few finals over the years.

When I started to really love footy in the early-mid nineties there were three blokes that I wanted to go on forever and ever; Richo, Crawf and Hirdy. Now they're all gone and all we have is memories, but they're great ones at that.

Richo, you'll be missed by all.

Someone should make a list of all the favourite moments.

I remember when I was like 8 (2001) I used to think that Richo played for Richmond due to the fact that they sound the same... But then again I also used to think that Tivendale was two players (due to the TV show Chip and Dale, this was when I was listening to it on the radio though)

[youtube]DDW1IGNRKGk[/youtube]

Even though it's a parody, it pretty much sums it up.

Funnily enough that was done in 2008, the year he went on to almost win the Brownlow.

So many memories, but theirs 3 that really stand out for me

His 10 goals against the Dogs, 6 goals up to 3 quarter time and we were trailing I beleive, Richo comes and an absolutely destroys the Bulldog defence, not only to kick his 10, but pretty much win the game for us.

His 200th, trailing by 20 odd points at quarter time, thinking this was going to be another blow out game, Richo turns a 0 possession quarter into a 26 possession, 6 goal and 20 mark return to get MOTM and win we went on to win by over 50 points.

And even though the result didn't go our way, the game against Essendon with a fractured eye socket and broken cheekbone only 8 days before. Went to absolutely tear the MCG up, but just wasn't to be, an absolute fairytale win that would have been.

But one memory that I missed and never got to see was Richo playing a final game, where win, loss or draw the big ooofff would get chaired of the MCG and tears would be flowing from 100,000 people.

Love ya big fella, gonna be sadly missed.

Someone should make a list of all the favourite moments.

I remember when I was like 8 (2001) I used to think that Richo played for Richmond due to the fact that they sound the same... But then again I also used to think that Tivendale was two players (due to the TV show Chip and Dale, this was when I was listening to it on the radio though)

lucky for you, you got a good deal, listening to the radio. If you were like me and many others watching the game, you would have thought he was half a player or better still, two stand up comedians.. ;)

Matthew Richardson: by the numbers
By Luke Holmesby 10:36 AM Fri 13 November, 2009

Career goals kicked

Behinds kicked

Games played

The number worn in every one of those games

Career Brownlow votes, the most by any Tasmanian-born player

Goals kicked at the MCG, the most of any player

Marks averaged per game

All-Australian selections (1996, 1999, 2008)

Seasons he was Richmond’s highest goalkicker

Club best and fairest in 2007

Career finals

Disposals in his first AFL game against St Kilda in 1993

Goals kicked in his fourth AFL game against the Sydney Swans, earning him an AFL Rising Star nomination

Number of games missed through suspension

Number of games missed through injury or being omitted

Number of games Richardson played in the reserves; 10 for Richmond in 1993-4 and one for Coburg in 2009

Games played against Geelong, the most of any team he played against

Number of coaches Richardson played under at Richmond: John Northey, Robert Walls, Jeff Gieschen, Danny Frawley, Terry Wallace and Jade Rawlings. He also played under six captains: Jeff Hogg, Tony Free, Matthew Knights, Wayne Campbell, Kane Johnson and Chris Newman

Richmond wins he played in

Had a call from my wifey, Friday am.

Stretching down after Pilates that morning, she reads the Sun and all the Richo tributes, and just tears up and starts blubbing. Said that when we first started dating, I told her that if she slept with someone else then that would be a deal-breaker, but if it was Richo then I would probably overlook it.

She also, when asked by my friends whether she liked footy, would respond "I barrack for Richo", and that now he's gone she realises she really did love him, and especially so given how much he meant to me.

Am planning to renew vows ASAP

when i was a kid he came to my high school with ty zantuck, ray hall and joel bowden for a clinic. he didnt take part because he was signing autographs the whole day. But that was richo, always time for the fans.

I found out he retired when I ws in Seattle last week. My wife phoned me to tell me a tree had fallen on my car and pratically written it off. Shattered. She then matter-of-factly told me Richo had retired.
I spent the next two hours almost in tears, and it wasn't about my car.
My favourite memory.
A game against West Coast a couple of years ago at the G. 2nd game I took my daughter to. We were 6 goals down at 3 qtr time. My girl asked if we could go home early. I almost said yes as there was no chance we could win.
I stayed and told her to watch for something special from RIcho. We got to within 8 points and the Cho kicked a goal around his body. There were only 25k there that day but the roar would have rivalled 80k. Richo, upon kicking the goal, turned sideways and pumped his fists and let out this massive roar. It was spine tingling.
We lost. Cousins and Judd lifted a notch and got them home by a few points. But I will never forget that moment when the king kicked that goal and feverish delerium we felt in the crowd that day.
It was also one of Cotchin's first games (maybe his debut) and I walked away from that game after a loss happy because I had seen two magicians at work (Cousins and Judd), a king at the top of his throne (Cho) and the heir apparent (Cotchin) who just looked a class above most others even at his tender age.
I'm shedding a tear as I write this.
I feel like a big sook, but...I love you Richo.

I found out he retired when I ws in Seattle last week. My wife phoned me to tell me a tree had fallen on my car and pratically written it off. Shattered. She then matter-of-factly told me Richo had retired.
I spent the next two hours almost in tears, and it wasn't about my car.
My favourite memory.
A game against West Coast a couple of years ago at the G. 2nd game I took my daughter to. We were 6 goals down at 3 qtr time. My girl asked if we could go home early. I almost said yes as there was no chance we could win.
I stayed and told her to watch for something special from RIcho. We got to within 8 points and the Cho kicked a goal around his body. There were only 25k there that day but the roar would have rivalled 80k. Richo, upon kicking the goal, turned sideways and pumped his fists and let out this massive roar. It was spine tingling.
We lost. Cousins and Judd lifted a notch and got them home by a few points. But I will never forget that moment when the king kicked that goal and feverish delerium we felt in the crowd that day.
It was also one of Cotchin's first games (maybe his debut) and I walked away from that game after a loss happy because I had seen two magicians at work (Cousins and Judd), a king at the top of his throne (Cho) and the heir apparent (Cotchin) who just looked a class above most others even at his tender age.
I'm shedding a tear as I write this.
I feel like a big sook, but...I love you Richo.

remember that game tugg,it's rare that I ever leave a game sattisfied when we lose however on that occasion we ran the premieres/GF? to the wire and it took some vintage Judd/Cuzz to pull it from the fire.

I'm holding it all in right now, likely to let it all out when I see the big fella R1:eek: ...my memories of richo date back to when he first started and the fans had annoited him as the "great white hope"...remember the buzz in the crowd as he walked down to FF:thumbsu: the great marks, the runs, the misses, the complete package...a rerun of 2008 and any one of his BOG was vintage richo R21 v Hawks...it doesnt get much better than that..A W E S O M E

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite Richo Memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back