Favourite sporting books/autobiographies

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmondfan#1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2000
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not a big reader but I love reading sporting autobiographies or sporting related books. I've read:

Ric Charlesworth - The Coach
Adam Gilchrist - Walking to Victory
Nova Peris - My Story
Stephen Silvagni - An Autobiography
Natalie Cook - Go Girl
Paul Salmon - The Big Fish
Steve Waugh - '97 Ashes Diary
Steve Waugh - '01 Ashes Diary

My favourite without a doubt is 'The Coach' by the genius Charlesworth and I've read it twice, often referring to it for ideas. Being a hockey player, I also found Nova Peris' story very enjoyable and, inspirational. Next on my list is Cathy Freeman's book and in the future, Steve Waugh's book he's writing.

What are your fav sporting books/autobiographies?

I still love the other "The Coach" - the Ron Barassi 1977 North one

Also, just finished Jason McCartney's After Bali - not really a sports book, but better than I was expecting.

Paul Roos' Beyond 300 was pretty good.

Also enjoy anything by Gideon Haigh - especially The Vincibles, and by John Harms - Loose Men Everywhere, Mug Punter & Thirteenth Man.

There is another one called Playgrounds of the Gods (I think) written by a guy who spends a year training and competing with a lot of the best sportspeoplel in the world - South African rugby team, Aussie cricketers, English rowing team, Roy Jones Jnr in boxing etc.

Another funny one is "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis" where the author makes a drunken bet to individually play and beat all of the Moldovan national soccer team at tennis.

Originally posted by TigerCraig
There is another one called Playgrounds of the Gods (I think) written by a guy who spends a year training and competing with a lot of the best sportspeoplel in the world - South African rugby team, Aussie cricketers, English rowing team, Roy Jones Jnr in boxing etc.

Sounds like a good read ... might have to have a look for it.

Im not a big reader but ive read jesse martins book, lionheart i think it was called(its been a while since ive even looked at it now :D ) but it was a good book to read.
Im currently reading jason mcartneys book, after bali, and so far its been a great read.

Originally posted by TigerCraig

Ian Stafford - Playgounds Of The Gods. Absolute classic book, one of my favourites as well.

Originally posted by doggies40
Im not a big reader but ive read jesse martins book, lionheart i think it was called(its been a while since ive even looked at it now :D ) but it was a good book to read.
Im currently reading jason mcartneys book, after bali, and so far its been a great read.

Yeah I read Lionheart too, forgot about that one. Not bad.

Steve Waugh's 1997 Ashes Diary is the best of his books I have read, everyone since hasn't been up to the same standard.

Others include

Old Firm in the New Age - which is a bit bias towards Celtic but still overall a very good book and read, I'm trying to get hold of the first in the series (this one was the follow up to the writers 1984 book - Old Firm)

Football Against the Enemy - Great read on what soccer means in different parts of the world.

The Time of Our Lives - This is the best book I have read. It accounts how Sydney won the bid to host the 2000 Olympics, the lead up to the games and the games themselves. For those who like to read about the background of how things work then this is a must read.

Warwick Todd diaries
Paul Roos - Beyond 300

Also that 'Fitzroy' book by Dyson Hore-Lacy was one of the most interesting reads I've had for a very long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Life, Universe and Football by John Orchard.

Not proabably the most well known footy book, but certainly one of my favourites.

Orchard (who I think is the same guy who is a medical advisor for the ACB and has also worked for the Swans) has a chapter on each footy team and has a fair crack at each side - except his beloved Hawks. Also goes through the process of how the Age Footy Computer works, why he loves footy, and his idea for a future AFL league.

Very funny book from a fan's perspective.

Also enjoy the Coodabeens Big Bumper Footy book as well.

Both these books are a few years old, but are good fun.

More votes for the John Harms' books, "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis", "Southern Sky Western Oval" and Gideon Haigh's work here.

Other faves -

Mike Atherton's biography was far more interesting than watching him bat! An interesting view into some of the backroom goings on in the Illingworth era.

David Halberstam has written some terrific stuff on American sports. "Playing for Keeps" is one of the better books about the Chicago Bulls in the Jordan era.

John Feinstein's books "A good walk spoiled" and "Hard Courts" were nice descriptions of the PGA and professional tennis circuits, but are probably a bit dated now.

Eamonn Dunphy wrote a terrific book about 20 years ago called "Only a game" about life as a professional footballer in Britain, but it might be hard to get your hands on it now.

I just finished reading 'In Black and White: The Untold Story of Joe Louis and Jesse Owens' which was a fairly good read.

Originally posted by marvin

David Halberstam has written some terrific stuff on American sports. "Playing for Keeps" is one of the better books about the Chicago Bulls in the Jordan era.

Yep, was going to say this one, I really enjoyed it, covered MJ's career from a number of angles, both on and off the court.

The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith is another interesting best-selling book, which goes behind the scenes of the 90-91 championship season. Not so revealing now, but it created quite a stir back then.

The Jordan Rules is my favorite.

Also liked:
Outrageous - Charles Barkley
Bad Boys - Isiah Thomas
The Big Fish - Paul Salmon
Pat Cash's autobiography

Hated:
Bad As I Wanna Be - Dennis Rodman
Plugger - Plugger
Serious - John McEnroe

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite sporting books/autobiographies