Fergus Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why does everyone think Watts is several years away from playing regular games?

I think as a first round draft pick, in his second year at the club, we should be expecting him to play regular games. I would think at least 12 games next season.

I know you cant just throw them to the wolves, but to keep developing they need new challenges. I think if he isnt in the plan for the coming season, his development will suffer.

I'm certainly not saying put him at CHF, sink or swim, but he has to be a regular in the forward line IMO.

Thoughts?

thoroughly agreed

- i think at least 10 games for Ferges across the half forward line is the go (and not at FF or Forward Pocket) and hopefully the Eagles also only play him across the half forward line - i just see him as a natural CHF and by the eagles playing him across FF it is stifling his development

- Krueger too minimum 10 games across the FF line

Fergal "Sharkey" Watts will be a big boy when he grows up and an important part of our forward line.
At 19 he still has a fair bit of work to do on his upper body, he will be 1 big unit when he fills out.
The heap of work he's done on his legs has landed him with OP and that will take virtually the whole preseason to recover from, so I don't expect any impact from him in 2005, so this preseason he needs to get off his legs and on the benchpress for the whole summer.
Hopefully by this time next year he will have recovered from OP, and be ready for a big preseasonfor possibly a starting spot in 2006....but remember - that will still only make him 21.....big fellas always take a bit longer.

johnnypanther said:
- i think at least 10 games for Ferges across the half forward line is the go (and not at FF or Forward Pocket) and hopefully the Eagles also only play him across the half forward line - i just see him as a natural CHF and by the eagles playing him across FF it is stifling his development

- Krueger too minimum 10 games across the FF line

Agree that WWT should play him on the half forward line, but l would like to see FW given an opportunity in the AFL early.

Josh Krueger will have to prove he is fit enough to play SANFL football for the Bays first before he can be considered for any role in the AFC team.

Mad Dog said:
The heap of work he's done on his legs has landed him with OP and that will take virtually the whole preseason to recover from, so I don't expect any impact from him in 2005, so this preseason he needs to get off his legs and on the benchpress for the whole summer.

OP! arrrrrrrrrggggggg. Godamit! That sucks big time!

Just a bit of an update on Kruegs, his back is coming along nicely at the moment, albeit a little bit slow, hopefully will get everything right and have some solid games with Glenelg before he is put into the side.
Kruegs is the type of guy who could easily play afl this year, he is one big unit and would be exciting as hell on the forward line. Heres hoping!

Do you guys think that Watts and Krueger are physically mature enough to play some reasonable footy at AFL ?

I thought Watts handled himself ok at AFL level this year, but someone told me Krueger was like a beanpole and needed to beef up heaps more before he would be considered. AFC has him at 195cm and 91kgs so he doesn't seem that far off....

Thoughts ?

Damien_R1 said:
Do you guys think that Watts and Krueger are physically mature enough to play some reasonable footy at AFL ?

I thought Watts handled himself ok at AFL level this year, but someone told me Krueger was like a beanpole and needed to beef up heaps more before he would be considered. AFC has him at 195cm and 91kgs so he doesn't seem that far off....

Thoughts ?

IMO, both are physically ready to play minor roles. Not at CHF or FF, but on flanks and pockets. Until MadDog told me of his OP probelm, I had Watts playing quite a few games next season. Krueger though, I'm not so sure. We need to see him on the park performing for the Bays before making a judgement.

Crowked said:
IMO, both are physically ready to play minor roles. Not at CHF or FF, but on flanks and pockets. Until MadDog told me of his OP probelm, I had Watts playing quite a few games next season. Krueger though, I'm not so sure. We need to see him on the park performing for the Bays before making a judgement.
Krueger is an interesting one...as someone said here his back is coming along ok. But remember - even when he was fit this season, he was still playing McGoos for the Bays...I think he only cracked it for 1 or 2 games in the seniors. I hope he is over his injury worries - but it's a big step up from reserves for the Bays to AFL....so I reckon his chances might be limited in '05.
I hope both of them get a crack this year but body immaturity and injuries will play a part.

I think it depends on fitness. Both will need to show they are over their injuries and get in match condition.

I'm not sure about Krueger as I haven't seen him, but Fergus isn't the quickest player going around, so will need to be "right" before getting a game.

It would be great to see both fighting fit and at least pressing for a spot in the team. With the club likely to play Hentschell more as a forward, if Welsh can stay fit, and Stevo is kept on for another year, we may actually get some competition for spots in the forward line.

Perrie's form late last year was good and Craig has already says he likes Biglands up forward - so if all goes well there should be plenty of pressure for a game up forward for the bigger guys.

Small forwards I'm not so confident.

I think Big Ferg is another year away from playing regular AFL footy. Krueger, on the other hand, must be given game time next year. I'm hoping he isn't another addition to our list of players we must offload in the next 2 years.

Damien_R1 said:

Thoughts ?

Kruegs is far from being a bean pole, he is a big bloke, who would be able to hold himself at afl level.

Kruegs was only playing reserves at the Bays because he was continually coming back from injury. When fit he is easily amongst the best 22 down at Brighton road.

If fit I think Adelaide will have to play him, he would be a great foil for Welsh, as there will have to be a big strong defender to play against him.

SpringChoke said:
I think Big Ferg is another year away from playing regular AFL footy. Krueger, on the other hand, must be given game time next year. I'm hoping he isn't another addition to our list of players we must offload in the next 2 years.

Josh Kruger reminds me of when Sean Wellman was a young player on the crows list, injury prone but with a bucket load of talent all he has to do was get his body in AFL condition. Hopefully he can get it together and allow the club another option in the forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue Red and Gold said:
Kruegs is far from being a bean pole, he is a big bloke, who would be able to hold himself at afl level.

Cool - I wasn't suggesting he was a bean pole, that is just what I had heard. I am sure that he would be working hard to put on some more beef in the off season and fill out anyway. There are some pretty big raps on him, so I am hoping he can get his body right and deliver. Look forward to it !

Damien_R1 said:
Cool - I wasn't suggesting he was a bean pole, that is just what I had heard. I am sure that he would be working hard to put on some more beef in the off season and fill out anyway. There are some pretty big raps on him, so I am hoping he can get his body right and deliver. Look forward to it !

Me too mate, me too.

I just cant wait for him to take a huge grab that I know he is capable off.

Alot of people dont know much about him, but they will when he brings down his first hanger, he is fearless and will crash any pack he can, regardless of his own safety.

I got a few reasons,

* He is tall but lanky (will get chewed up and spat out at AFL)
* The way he plays his footy. He just has no fear. With his lanky build and his style of play, he will seriously hurt himself in the AFL. He needs bulk to play that style of game
* His skills are far from developed
* he is still groving into his body and is unco because of it
* His for is SANFL has been solid but not great. He needs to dominate SANFL before you put him into the AFL. Playing him in the AFL before time will slow down his development.
* Talls develop slower than smalls, so expecting him to be semi regular in his second year on the list ist asking for far too much
* He is carrying OP, he hasn't been able to do any training and by all reports he is unlikely to have much of a pre-season. Playing him underdone at AFL level would do more damage than good.

If his form is exceptional, give him a handful of games by all means but don't put him in there just for sake of it when he hasn't earned his stripes in SANFL.

Patience people. He will come good but we have to do this properly and I am alredy sensing seperations amongst fan in wanting him to be Jonathan Brown as soon as 2007 and to achieve that you want him playing AFL next year. You can't rush these things

Damien_R1 said:

Thoughts ?
Krueger is more physically developed than Watts

Mad Dog said:
Krueger is an interesting one...as someone said here his back is coming along ok. But remember - even when he was fit this season, he was still playing McGoos for the Bays...I think he only cracked it for 1 or 2 games in the seniors. I hope he is over his injury worries - but it's a big step up from reserves for the Bays to AFL....so I reckon his chances might be limited in '05.
I hope both of them get a crack this year but body immaturity and injuries will play a part.
I think he played a couple of reserves games to get his fitness up and then ended up playing seniors. In his last games in the seniors he was inspirational in the first half before he got injured. Some Bay supporters were wetting their pants from excitement. From all reports he was superb in that game prior to getting injured.

I saw Josh Krueger play a league game late in the year (I think it was against the eagles) and he absoulutely dominated in the first half and then unfortunately was injured and didnt play in the second half. He marked everything that came his way. He played full forward and kicked a couple of goals.
I didnt know who this guy was until this day but i had a look in the budget and thats when i realised it was krueger. Trust me this guy can play but injuries may be a big concern with this guy. Many people at this game were impressed with Krueger.

Crowked said:
Good post. I also see them playing cameo type roles this year, rather than holding down a regular key forward post.

Blue Red and Gold said:
Just a bit of an update on Kruegs, his back is coming along nicely at the moment, albeit a little bit slow, hopefully will get everything right and have some solid games with Glenelg before he is put into the side.
Kruegs is the type of guy who could easily play afl this year, he is one big unit and would be exciting as hell on the forward line. Heres hoping!
Fingers crossed

Stiffy_18 said:
I got a few reasons,

* He is tall but lanky (will get chewed up and spat out at AFL)
* The way he plays his footy. He just has no fear. With his lanky build and his style of play, he will seriously hurt himself in the AFL. He needs bulk to play that style of game
* His skills are far from developed
* he is still groving into his body and is unco because of it
* His for is SANFL has been solid but not great. He needs to dominate SANFL before you put him into the AFL. Playing him in the AFL before time will slow down his development.
* Talls develop slower than smalls, so expecting him to be semi regular in his second year on the list ist asking for far too much
* He is carrying OP, he hasn't been able to do any training and by all reports he is unlikely to have much of a pre-season. Playing him underdone at AFL level would do more damage than good.

If his form is exceptional, give him a handful of games by all means but don't put him in there just for sake of it when he hasn't earned his stripes in SANFL.

Patience people. He will come good but we have to do this properly and I am alredy sensing seperations amongst fan in wanting him to be Jonathan Brown as soon as 2007 and to achieve that you want him playing AFL next year. You can't rush these things

Go look at this kid tomorrow. he is 95kg & ready to go. SANFL will not help him develop. Last year he ran himself silly for WWT & couldn't get a lead honoured - ended up crashing packs just to get near the footy. If he's fit, play him across the half back line in the AFL & he'll soon get confidence. Played most of his junior footy at CHB.

wattsup said:
Go look at this kid tomorrow. he is 95kg & ready to go. SANFL will not help him develop. Last year he ran himself silly for WWT & couldn't get a lead honoured - ended up crashing packs just to get near the footy. If he's fit, play him across the half back line in the AFL & he'll soon get confidence. Played most of his junior footy at CHB.

95kg - Are you serious ? AFC had him at 86kg this time last year. You reckon he has stacked on 9kgs since ? I am not suggesting your wrong but I'd be surprised if this was true.

Having said that - I hope you are right !

Remove this Banner Ad

Fergus Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back