Final Curtain Call - Extinct Actors

Remove this Banner Ad

Golden era ends as Tony Curtis bows out at 85
TONY Curtis, one of the last great stars of Hollywood's golden age, has died at 85.

Curtis's health had been failing for years and he went to hospital in July after an asthma attack.

Appearing on stage in London in 2008, Curtis was asked by an audience member what he would like to have written on his gravestone. ''Nobody's perfect,'' he quipped, quoting the final line of his best-loved comedy, Some Like It Hot.

The following year he gained his only Oscar nomination for his role opposite Sidney Poitier in the tense racial parable The Defiant Ones.His other notable films include The Vikings, Stanley Kubrick's Spartacus and The Boston Strangler. Curtis always insisted that the latter film, in which he played serial killer Albert DeSalvo, was the finest performance of his career.
Golden era ends as Tony Curtis bows out at 85

[YOUTUBE]udZgIsIKU30[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rQnZ4dAMgEo[/YOUTUBE]

RIP Bernard Schwartz.

Barbara Billingsley dies at 94.

She was June Cleaver in the classic US show "Leave It To Beaver".

As that is going back a fair way (50s - 60s), maybe others may remember her as the jive talkin' lady in the Flying High movie.

She's 88 is Betty, and still going strong. :thumbsu:

There are numerous well known actors older than her still alive though (not performing these days of course), including people such as:
Norman Wisdom, Harry Morgan, Eli Wallach, Barbara Billingsley, Olivia De Havilland, Ernest Borgnine, Kirk Douglas, Zsa Zsa Gabor, George Gaynes, Phyllis Diller, Herbert Lom, Joan Fontaine, Efrem Zimblast Jnr, Alan Young, Maureen O'Hara, Mickey Rooney, Jayne Meadows, Noel Neill, Carol Channing, Abe Vigoda, Barbara Hale, Jane Russell & Nancy Reagan (Davis).

And Patrick Macnee, Steven Hill, Carl Reiner, Doris Day, Michael Ansara, Jack Klugman and Christopher Lee are also 88.

I wonder how many of these people I have jinxed now. :eek:

Looks like you did a job on Norman Wisdom:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/05/3029600.htm
British comic actor Norman Wisdom, famous for his slapstick film roles in his trademark cloth cap and ill-fitting jacket, has died at the age of 95.

Looks like you did a job on Norman Wisdom:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/05/3029600.htm
British comic actor Norman Wisdom, famous for his slapstick film roles in his trademark cloth cap and ill-fitting jacket, has died at the age of 95.
And Barbara Billingsley. :eek:

Mind you, I think their age may have contributed as well.

My most memorable effort, however, was ages ago when I started a thread on the Media & Entertainment board highlighting the fact that the actress who played Madge (as in Edna Everage's sidekick for many years) was 100 years old. Needless to say, she passed away within a matter of weeks after that. :eek:

I was in Hollywood when Tony Curtis died. We walked down to Hollywood Blvd and media were gathered around his star on the walk of fame. Somehow my Dad got interviewed. It went something like this:

Reporter: Did you like Tony Curtis?
Dad: I did yes.
Reporter: What do you remember him for?
Dad: His movies.
Reporter: What was your favourite movie of his?
Dad: Err .... all of them.
Reporter: Any in particular?
Dad: Umm ... err ... the one he did with John Lennon (Jack Lemmon)

Me: Groan.

I was in Hollywood when Tony Curtis died. We walked down to Hollywood Blvd and media were gathered around his star on the walk of fame. Somehow my Dad got interviewed. It went something like this:

Reporter: Did you like Tony Curtis?
Dad: I did yes.
Reporter: What do you remember him for?
Dad: His movies.
Reporter: What was your favourite movie of his?
Dad: Err .... all of them.
Reporter: Any in particular?
Dad: Umm ... err ... the one he did with John Lennon (Jack Lemmon)

Me: Groan.
Clearly your dad was simply playing Mind Games with the reporters. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some might even call it "feeding the chooks."
Nah, I wish he was just playing with them. Made his day though, to land in Hollywood one day and get on TV the next.

Geez, that same day, our tour guide showed us where Michael Jackson died and Dad basically trespassed to get a photo inside the gate, while a worker was telling him to get out. The tour guide was embarrassed.

Dad doesn't give two hoots about celebrities. He said he just felt compelled because someone said 'quick the gate is closing' so he ran almost through it. Hollywood turns everybody into paparazzi it seems.

Jesus, that's the most inventive excuse I have heard for doing something illegal. Randy, not Dennis ... although the whackers might now target Dennis as payback since Randy has gone alllllll the way to Canada.

'Can I get you anything Eddie? How about I drive you out into the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?'

Always loved the Medved brothers take on DDLs remake of King Kong in 1976.

"No one cry when Jaws die. But when the monkey die, people gonna cry. Intellectuals gonna love Konk; even film buffs who love the first Konk gonna love ours. Why? Because I no give them crap. I no spend two, three million to do quick business. I spend 24 million on my Konk. I give them quality. I got here a great love story, a great adventure. And she rated PG. For everybody."
- DDL

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Curtain Call - Extinct Actors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back