Financial Crisis : At last 2 Melbourne teams fold?

Remove this Banner Ad

Memories

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is a huge gathering of us on this site and throughout the country (Victorians generally excluded) that have wanted at least 2 Melbourne teams to fold for quite a while now. Whether it's their pathetic crowd turnouts or their pathetic financials - these teams in the strongest football state in the country are in a constant struggle.

Personally I hate struggling, it takes the shine off the rest of the league that are doing pretty well. We want australian rules football to completely dominate every corner of the market and these stories of tin rattling, begging on national TV, etc really put a downer on the whole thing to people outside the game. Lets face it most people like to back winners. If there was this golden knight called AFL rampaging across the country going from success to success then it would draw more people to it.

So is this financial crisis the godly hatchet that we have wanted for so long now? Will this crush 2, 3 or maybe even 4 melbourne based teams allowing an AFL push into Tassie combined with the 2 new teams we know about?

Victoria - 7 teams
NSW - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Western Aus - 2 teams
South Aus - 2 teams
Tassie - 1 Team

I think for the game of AFL to succeed we need to push to playing each team twice (once away and once at home), which means 16 teams is really the limit for this. This way the AFL covers more days of the year, and you could even have a playoff type system for the bottom 8 teams to get a priority pick instead of the way it is done now.

30 weeks of regular season games
4 weeks of top 8 finals (as it is now) start after regular season
3 weeks of bottom 8 playoff start after regular season

The playoff system could be based off ladder position, 9th plays 16th, 10th plays 15th, etc. This would allow teams placed just out of the finals a greater chance of securing a priority pick. The worst place to finish on the ladder is 9th, not 16th, with the way the league is currently setup.

*edit* Removed Northern Territory part of plan.

There is a huge gathering of us on this site and throughout the country (Victorians generally excluded) that have wanted at least 2 Melbourne teams to fold for quite a while now. Whether it's their pathetic crowd turnouts or their pathetic financials - these teams in the strongest football state in the country are in a constant struggle.

Personally I hate struggling, it takes the shine off the rest of the league that are doing pretty well. We want australian rules football to completely dominate every corner of the market and these stories of tin rattling, begging on national TV, etc really put a downer on the whole thing to people outside the game. Lets face it most people like to back winners. If there was this golden knight called AFL rampaging across the country going from success to success then it would draw more people to it.

So is this financial crisis the godly hatchet that we have wanted for so long now? Will this crush 2, 3 or maybe even 4 melbourne based teams allowing an AFL push into Tassie and NT combined with the 2 new teams we know about?

Victoria - 6 teams
NSW - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Western Aus - 2 teams
South Aus - 2 teams
Tassie - 1 Team
NT - 1 Team

I think for the game of AFL to succeed we need to push to playing each team twice (once away and once at home), which means 16 teams is really the limit for this. This way the AFL covers more days of the year, and you could even have a playoff type system for the bottom 8 teams to get a priority pick instead of the way it is done now.

The playoff system could be based off ladder position, 9th plays 16th, 10th plays 15th, etc. This would allow teams placed just out of the finals a greater chance of securing a priority pick. The worst place to finish on the ladder is 9th, not 16th, with the way the league is currently setup.

You crazy bloke. What if your team was the chicken with his clucker on the block to be chopped. Would you be so helpful with afl solution for fixing the crisis if you team was to be extincted.

One more thing I forgot, the biggest advantage of the playoff system for the bottom 8 teams is it keeps the fans of those teams interested right up until the end of the season. Increasing revenue, and entertainment for those involved. Unlike knowing at the moment your team is F'd round 13 into and that's the end of the season. Trying to get a higher position for the playoff system actually makes the bottom teams try harder.

Also the priority pick shouldn't be a first round one. The winner of the playoff system gets a second round priority, the runner up gets a third round priority. Discuss.

So is this financial crisis the godly hatchet that we have wanted for so long now? Will this crush 2, 3 or maybe even 4 melbourne based teams allowing an AFL push into Tassie and NT combined with the 2 new teams we know about?

Victoria - 6 teams
NSW - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Western Aus - 2 teams
South Aus - 2 teams
Tassie - 1 Team
NT - 1 Team

You have absolutely no clue whatsoever.

You crazy bloke. What if your team was the chicken with his clucker on the block to be chopped. Would you be so helpful with afl solution for fixing the crisis if you team was to be extincted.

If my team was a financial mess, had no crowd and no good outlook for the future, then I would want it to fold. It's time to grow up Melbourne supporters.

Common sense suggests there will be 8 in Vic one day.

Your post is stupid though given you have a NT team as part of the solution.

Seems Bay 13 might be a better place for you to sprout your crap.

Victoria - 6 teams
NSW - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Western Aus - 2 teams
South Aus - 2 teams
Tassie - 1 Team
NT - 1 Team

Not bad but i dont think that the Northern Territory is big enough for its own AFL team and i think Victoria can support 7 teams so maybe this would work better

Victoria - 7 teams
NSW - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Western Aus - 2 teams
South Aus - 2 teams
Tassie - 1 Team

The AFL should be these 16 teams

1. Geelong Cats
2. Collingwood Magpies
3. Essendon Bombers
4. Richmond Tigers
5. Carlton Blues
6. St Kilda Bulldogs
7. North Melbourne Demons
8. Tasmanian Hawks
9. West Coast Eagles
10. Fremantle Dockers
11. Adelaide Crows
12. Port Adelaide Power
13. Brisbane Lions
14. Gold Coast Gladiators
15. Sydney Swans
16. West Sydney Wolves

Jeez where do you start? Memories we were very nearly put out of business ourselves and that would have broken a lot of hearts believe me. When a team folds it takes it's history and fans with it. If Freo had folded I would not have barracked for another team and although I am passionate about Freo and football, my interest would definately be severely curtailed without my beloved Dockers and I would not wish this on any other clubs supporters. Freo is an example of how with the right people doing their job, you can turn a club around very quickly. I think the AFL should be doing more to help struggling clubs sort out their business not just give them handouts. Basicaly I disagree with you on every level.

Not bad but i dont think that the Northern Territory is big enough for its own AFL team and i think Victoria can support 7 teams so maybe this would work better

Victoria - 7 teams
NSW - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Western Aus - 2 teams
South Aus - 2 teams
Tassie - 1 Team

Yeah, if the NT isn't viable (they haven't really looked too hard at it, it has roughly the same population as tassie) then what you have said would be fine. The thing the vics don't seem to understand is having fewer teams in the the state will make all of the teams that stay a lot more successful.

If it came to propping up a struggling NT team or a struggling VIC team I'd prefer the NT team though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Port Adelaide Memories?

I suppose you want them gone as well because they are under-performing in a 2 team town?

In regards to 30 games it is quite easy.

Start the AFL season one month earlier.
End the AFL season one month later
Have finals and playoff in October.

Anyone who says they don't want more games (within reason) is just not passionate in my eyes. We don't want to be playing in summer for instance, but we play in the preseason one month before the current season, and the weather in October is hardly any different than last month. Having slightly higher temperatures for finals may actually be a better thing for supporters.

What about Port Adelaide Memories?

I suppose you want them gone as well because they are under-performing in a 2 team town?

South Australia should always have 2 teams as it can easily support them. Whether that's Port Adelaide or some new club is hardly relevant in the scheme of things. Hopefully port can stick around they haven't been as much a blight on the league compared to the Melbourne teams.

Anyone who says they don't want more games (within reason) is just not passionate in my eyes. We don't want to be playing in summer for instance, but we play in the preseason one month before the current season, and the weather in October is hardly any different than last month. Having slightly higher temperatures for finals may actually be a better thing for supporters.
Did you not see how many teams were struggling injury/fitness wise come Rd 22? Look at Essendon for example. We couldn't field 22 fit players. If the season had another 8 weeks we would've had to forefit a few games. Absolutely pathetic idea.

Do you have any inkling of the physical toll that would take on the players bodies. It is beyond ridiculous!! It is more likely that we would have a 15 round season.
Also you are eating in to other sports traditional areas. Plus it's too freakin' hot to play footy in March...even the pre season.

Did you not see how many teams were struggling injury/fitness wise come Rd 22? Look at Essendon for example. We couldn't field 22 fit players. If the season had another 8 weeks we would've had to forefit a few games. Absolutely pathetic idea.

Well you see, generally when problems like the one you just mentioned arise problem solvers like myself and other intelligent people can think up solutions. You, well you seem to say 'give up'. How about increasing squad sizes? There have been numerous suggestions on this topic. How about increasing bench sizes to help reduce injuries?

As a passionate football supporter I want more football in the year, not less or the same. What I have outlined solves every main issue when it comes to extending the season, any minor issue is easily solved with more thought. Don't bring your negative, conservative attitude to this discussion, anyone over 70 shouldn't really be having thoughts on things.

I take issue with almost everything written here but the priority pick idea of yours is especially ridiculous.
How is a club like yours going to claw its way back up the ladder if you don't get a priority pick? The only people who bang on and on and on about doing a Bottom 8 Lotto draw for the top picks are those that support clubs who finish consistently just in or just out of the top 8.

And where is this huge groundswell of support memories?
Maybe you can quantify that statement by adding a poll?

The AFL should be these 16 teams

1. Geelong Cats
2. Collingwood Magpies
3. Essendon Bombers
4. Richmond Tigers
5. Carlton Blues
6. St Kilda Bulldogs
7. North Melbourne Demons
8. Tasmanian Hawks
9. West Coast Eagles
10. Fremantle Dockers
11. Adelaide Crows
12. Port Adelaide Power
13. Brisbane Lions
14. Gold Coast Gladiators
15. Sydney Swans
16. West Sydney Wolves

SO successful financial powerhouses should relocate while debt ridden Victorian - Carlton, Richmond, and non Victorian clubs - Sydney Swans, Port Adelaide Power and tinpot rabbles like the 'West Sydney Wolves' and 'Gold Coast Gladiators' should be granted licenses

Can you see the Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, 'West Sydney Wolves' or 'Gold Coast Gladiators' all having 40,000 members collectively in you're lifetime...I sure as hell can't :thumbsu:

Pot kettle black from a tinpot club that cant conjure 15,000 Sydney based members in a city of some 5,000,000

Do you have any inkling of the physical toll that would take on the players bodies. It is beyond ridiculous!! It is more likely that we would have a 15 round season.
Also you are eating in to other sports traditional areas. Plus it's too freakin' hot to play footy in March...even the pre season.

I've played sport in 38 degrees for over 4 hours. Keep drinking and you're fine. If we have teams in the Northern Territory or Tasmania we are going to have to get used to wider ranges of temperatures. Or should West Australians not be forced to play in subarctic conditions in Geelong because we never get those conditions? 30 degrees isn't going to kill anyone.

This is the funniest paragraph on BigFooty ever.

You need to think bigger. AFL needs to overthrow the government and ban all sports competing for the great AFL dollar. Conversion of sceptical fans to take place via aversion therapy whereby they would be strapped into seats and have their heads clamped and eyes held open with a specula, Clockwork Orange style so they couldn't miss a glorious minute of the game.

SO successful financial powerhouses should relocate while debt ridden Victorian - Carlton, Richmond, and non Victorian clubs - Sydney Swans, Port Adelaide Power and tinpot rabbles like the 'West Sydney Wolves' and 'Gold Coast Gladiators' should be granted licenses

I don't think any successful team should relocate. Hawks shouldn't move to tassie. As you said it's not good practice.

I've played sport in 38 degrees for over 4 hours. Keep drinking and you're fine. If we have teams in the Northern Territory or Tasmania we are going to have to get used to wider ranges of temperatures. Or should West Australians not be forced to play in subarctic conditions in Geelong because we never get those conditions? 30 degrees isn't going to kill anyone.

I'm not against having sides in Tasmania and Northern Territory as long as they can justify drawing 30,000+ crowds, having 35,000+ members and a stable buisness plan from the get go that requires no handouts

For that matter, if we cut off the funding for Victorian clubs, we can't have Port Adelaide or for that matter Brisbane and Sydney recieving additional handouts either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Financial Crisis : At last 2 Melbourne teams fold?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back