Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

No, your weird line of arguing about Frampton (all of which is complete rubbish). You brought Frampton up in a Macrae thread, for no other reason than to pot him
Ok I'll go easy on Frampton.
Just think Fin has been harshly treated. That's all. I think it was a very harsh call to sub him today when at least 4 others were behind him

Battled today but there were many worse
Unlucky to be subbed off when there were 4 ahead of him at least at half time

I think today’s substitution, and previous tactical substitutions, are a pretty clear indication that the coaches don’t really rate Fin’s impact. To my eye he never really shapes the course of a game, whereas guys like Harrison, Sullivan and Richards have each had big impacts at key moments. So the coaches keep them on and sub Fin.

Last week Fin had a good, solid first half but then only 3 disposals in H2. Today he had 6 disposals (only 2 of which found their target), zero marks and zero tackles in a half of footy. So over his last four quarters, it’s a total of nine disposals, zero marks, zero tackles. Hard to say he was unlucky to be subbed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Although great in the 2nd half sidebottom and McCreery were bloody lucky the message wasn't sent to them. Frampton when having to do anything attacking was counter productive and Sullivan was nowhere all day
It had nothing to with sending a message it was similar the best tactical choice available.

McCreery is a proven performant at AFL level and a premiership player it should come as a surprise to none he was trusted in the second half over a player who struggles to get a game and is fringe at best.

He's not an inside mid, doesn't go hard enough. He's not an outside mid either and can't perform in any other position. I think we now know why we are hesitant to play him
Tbh. I think that's been really obvious for 2 years and you've known it for that long.

It's been a strange one with Finn. You've been able to criticise the coaches for not picking him, but if you pointed out that the coaches weren't picking him because he's not yet good enough, you've been a hater.

Suggest you watch the replay. HH was huge late in Q3 and Q4 and Sully did a lot too including sticking several key tackles to force stoppages and nullify Kangas’ attacking drives. They are both a cut above Fin. (Especially HH.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Harrison is the only one that looks like he has the class to get there. He was ok in the second half with his couple of touches.

Tbh. I think that's been really obvious for 2 years and you've known it for that long.

It's been a strange one with Finn. You've been able to criticise the coaches for not picking him, but if you pointed out that the coaches weren't picking him because he's not yet good enough, you've been a hater.
I think he could turn his career around if he went hard at every contest and ball he sees. Jake soligo was very much like him but someone must have told that he needs to go harder, regardless of his size. Those guys are gladiators out there and I can only imagine how tough it is but once you start making the ball your target in every contest, your form will turn. until he does that, he'll be stuck in the VFL

I think he could turn his career around if he went hard at every contest and ball he sees. Jake soligo was very much like him but someone must have told that he needs to go harder, regardless of his size. Those guys are gladiators out there and I can only imagine how tough it is but once you start making the ball your target in every contest, your form will turn. until he does that, he'll be stuck in the VFL
Yeah, I’m not completely finished on him. Not everyone needs to be a star so if could become that 20 possession hard running link man that kicks a goal every other week then he could still have a home.

Just needs a bit more strength and aggression at the ball in the next 12 months and he has a slim chance to get there.

I think he could turn his career around if he went hard at every contest and ball he sees. Jake soligo was very much like him but someone must have told that he needs to go harder, regardless of his size.

I think you're saying that because you were a good footballer.

What us shit footballers know is that it's not just about how hard you are willing to go at the footy. It's about how early you see it.

By the time Finn has reacted, Wardlaw has swept it away.

It doesn't matter how hard you're going to crack in, if the footy is already gone by the time you realise where to crack in

I think that about Finn, despite the wonderful hands. I think it about Allan too.

Yeah, I’m not completely finished on him. Not everyone needs to be a star so if could become that 20 possession hard running link man that kicks a goal every other week then he could still have a home.

Just needs a bit more strength and aggression at the ball in the next 12 months and he has a slim chance to get there.
yeah that's fair enough. He might have to wait till next year though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're saying that because you were a good footballer.

What us shit footballers know is that it's not just about how hard you are willing to go at the footy. It's about how early you see it.

By the time Finn has reacted, Wardlaw has swept it away.

It doesn't matter how hard you're going to crack in, if the footy is already gone by the time you realise where to crack in

I think that about Finn, despite the wonderful hands. I think it about Allan too.
Fin seems to see things pretty quick in the VFL. it could also be his orders for the day too. He might be expected to do a lot of blocking amongst other things. I really know TBH. I want him to make it but sometimes I want to throw him at a pack just so he can see that he'll be fine if he makes the ball his priority.

Fin seems to see things pretty quick in the VFL. it could also be his orders for the day too. He might be expected to do a lot of blocking amongst other things. I really know TBH. I want him to make it but sometimes I want to throw him at a pack just so he can see that he'll be fine if he makes the ball his priority.

I don't think he does see it that quickly at VFL. He's rarely first hands on it. But he's a very good VFL player because he's the cleanest hands on it.

I don't think you should post when you're pissed.
I don’t think he should post.

Last week Fin was mediocre.
This week he aspired to that lofty standard.

Don't think thats the issue. He goes hard enough its more about him being not up to the level so he misses being invovled in contests. Its unfortunate as he seems a great kid and a hard worker. Its AFL level that he shows he isnt vey good.

Soligo isn't compable. He is younger, only half way through his 3rd season and has already reached 50 games. He has possession numbers well out of Fins numbers even in season 1. Although a pick 36 he is following the path that the vast majority of those who turn into good long term AFL players. They play early and often.

The difference is not Fin doesnt go in he is just long way off the level and talent of good young AFL players. We saw that today looking at NM youngsters and of course ND. fin was very wise to take the 1 year contract he was offered. Gives him a chance next year but he looks unlikely. it happens to many.

I think there's been a bit of an overreaction about Fin's performance today. It was pretty bad, let's call it what it was - but he's just a young player, he has shown a bit this year, just not putting it together week by week & quarter by quarter.

Giving up on him would be madness.

I think there's been a bit of an overreaction about Fin's performance today. It was pretty bad, let's call it what it was - but he's just a young player, he has shown a bit this year, just not putting it together week by week & quarter by quarter.

Giving up on him would be madness.

He's a 4th year player, very very very few mids get 5/6 years to show they're AFL quality...

Battled today but there were many worse
Unlucky to be subbed off when there were 4 ahead of him at least at half time

You should try watching the first half.

a lot of the first half was Finn's opponent bursting from the stoppage or overlap running with Finn trailing 1-2 metres behind with his hunch back and lack of leg speed.

When he did get the ball his ball use was poor as it always is.

He's an outside mid that is very slow and uses the ball poorly.

Just lacks the intensity around the ground. Looks very good when DC is giving him first use, but outside that doesn't have too many more tricks. Unfortunately his best game to date is against the Eagles earlier in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back