Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Urgency is another word I’d use to describe what is lacking too.

I noticed that, was actively seeking opponents to bump.
Sounds silly to find that as a positive, but it gave me “feels like he belongs” vibes.
I keep banging on about the value of players who can kick well on both sides and Finn is one. It’s interesting that for all the deserved positivity about Ed, it was his lack of left foot that caught him out several times.
So agree that we should persist, because Finn definitely has the ability but just needs more confidence to feel that he belongs.

He links up really well. His contested stuff does stack up and his dual footed is handy. Hopefully this can put some self belief in him and come stronger in 2025.
If I were him, I'd be starting next week on getting in the gym and building up physically. The thing that has let him down this year was getting pushed aside, so that should be his priority in the off season.

You couldn't have asked for much much from a sub last night, so think he did quite well.

Half his handballs went to his teammates feet, he gets burnt off when the ball is on the outside. Did not play a good game, dunno what people are smoking. Melbourne had their vfl midfield out there and he had no impact.
Yeah I just don’t get it. His ball usage wasn’t polished last night. In fact, it forced his teammates to work harder because they weren’t landing as they should.

Should have invited Jack into the rooms

a8c5fa3e4864ff8373aaa964baed3a96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he was good last night. Been a slow build but I think 2025 will be his year to start delivering on the promise. Very optimistic on the group of Macrae, Allan, Parker, Richards, Dean, Harrison and McInnes coming through. And we’re yet to see TJ, HDM, and Smit exposed much at senior level (apart from TJs debut game). Bring on 2025.

Thoughts on Fin tonight? Taking into account 50% of game time, he had 11 touches, 2 marks, 2 clearances.

I don't think he had a huge amount of impact, I think he goes to ground a bit too much. Some disposals clean, a bit of a mixed bag.
his loopy handballs we’re frustrating, really sold teammates into trouble at times

fin is about to be in his 5th season. By then you’d want to be heavily entrenched in the midfield, not struggling to impact.

Compare his composure to second year Allan or first year Parker against a fairly listless demons and it says where he’s at unfortunately. Should be dominating that game. Not struggling.

He’d do well to get offered a 2 year deal elsewhere. Others have already past him.

like the browns. Not everyone is made for the seniors. It’s a tough gig.

fin is about to be in his 5th season. By then you’d want to be heavily entrenched in the midfield, not struggling to impact.

Compare his composure to second year Allan or first year Parker against a fairly listless demons and it says where he’s at unfortunately. Should be dominating that game. Not struggling.

He’d do well to get offered a 2 year deal elsewhere. Others have already past him.

like the browns. Not everyone is made for the seniors. It’s a tough gig.
As a fourth year player he should be consistently getting big numbers and dominating vfl level to belt down the selection door. He’s had a good vfl season, and some great games. When compared to someone like Tsatas who’s in his second season at Essendon though I just don’t think he’s done enough.

Unfortunately his development looks to have stagnated with us. Perhaps a change of clubs is needed.

The thing with Fin, is that he has no particularly standout attribute, (Ed has size and speed, for example), so he has to be an "allrounder", which isn't actually all that easy.
He was OK last night without standing out.
Added to that, he's had a preseason cruelled by a back injury, which set him back.
I still hold out hope he can be a good player for us - he's got another contracted year to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with Fin, is that he has no particularly standout attribute, (Ed has size and speed, for example), so he has to be an "allrounder", which isn't actually all that easy.
He was OK last night without standing out.
Added to that, he's had a preseason cruelled by a back injury, which set him back.
I still hold out hope he can be a good player for us - he's got another contracted year to do it.
He'll give it another year imo
Work hard in the off season to keep building his tank and his strength.
I reckon his standout feature is being dual sided on both feet and his elite hands. He is really good at the link up, and some of the stuff he did in stoppages was good.

Couldn't have asked much more from a sub last night. Also could have had 2 goals, but wasn't to be.

Surely he's looking to get out.
Practically no opportunities this season, we just signed all the oldies back, would be begging to get out...
But I've heard nothing about him leaving...

Practically no opportunities this season, we just signed all the oldies back, would be begging to get out...
No. No talk of him leaving at this point. He's one loyal bugger. He'll likely back himself in for one more season and see what happens. Get stronger in the off season. And take the next step.
Big preseason incoming for him.

There needs to be an interested party for him to get out and the reason you’ve heard nothing is because there is nothing…

That was my suspicion.
I don't know if we do keep him even if we can't get a trade for him...
That’s where I was with him about 10 weeks ago and then Sullivan, Bytel and Long started to show what they had at the top level. I softened my view on Macrae once I realised you can’t cut all 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back