Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s where I was with him about 10 weeks ago and then Sullivan, Bytel and Long started to show what they had at the top level. I softened my view on Macrae once I realised you can’t cut all 4.
With Sidey moving to run with, Allan developing and us chasing one at trade, I think you can cut all 4.

Nick, Pendles, Jordy, Twitch, Crisp,Sidey,Allan, ?

I reckon that's enough.

But think Macrae will survive due to his contract, with a move to the rookie list if we need a list spot.

With Sidey moving to run with, Allan developing and us chasing one at trade, I think you can cut all 4.

Nick, Pendles, Jordy, Twitch, Crisp,Sidey,Allan, ?

I reckon that's enough.

But think Macrae will survive due to his contract, with a move to the rookie list if we need a list spot.
Ain’t it funny how we’ve flipped! I think the move of Jaicos behind the ball is more permanent than most especially with the loss of Noble. The flow on effect is that Lippa needs to step up on a wing, Steele/ Pendles/ Mitchell need cleanish seasons and Allan needs to come on for me not to be nervous. I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if all left, but without a best 23 alternative coming in it remains in the can’t column which is code for the discussion shifting again in 5 weeks.

Ain’t it funny how we’ve flipped! I think the move of Jaicos behind the ball is more permanent than most especially with the loss of Noble. The flow on effect is that Lippa needs to step up on a wing, Steele/ Pendles/ Mitchell need cleanish seasons and Allan needs to come on for me not to be nervous. I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if all left, but without a best 23 alternative coming in it remains in the can’t column which is code for the discussion shifting again in 5 weeks.

I'd shift our VFL depth players from inside mid to flankers

Mitchell/Pendles/Allan/Sidey as full time mid options. Crisp to a back flank/wing. JDG/Nick changing mid and high half forward linker.

You only really need 4 mids for a game, so between those guys we should be fine. With the depth coming from within the team and needing a flanker to come in and replace any of them who are out. With Josh, McCreery and Lippa as break glass options - also needing a flanker to cover them.

So if either flankers or inside mids get injured, it's the flanks that will get hit and need covering.

I think our issue this year was the flanks. We covered the inside mid injuries with our mid/flankers shifting to pure mid - but then only had inside mids to bring in. Then with WHE needed to play tall forward, Markov being awful, Lippa being inconsistent and Sidey slowing and becoming unviable on a wing, we ended up being way down in terms of the flanks. And thus struggled to transition or defend the opposition transition.

It's a short term solution and we need to add a future prospect or two, but don't think that's guys like Macrae and Long, who are purely depth options.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back