Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Be disappointed to see him go. I think he’s been slowly building toward being afl relevant and 2025 might be the year it clicks for him. If he is going though, straight swap for Hayes (if we’re actually interested) would work for me.

Be disappointed to see him go. I think he’s been slowly building toward being afl relevant and 2025 might be the year it clicks for him. If he is going though, straight swap for Hayes (if we’re actually interested) would work for me.

Yep, if he improves his speed, fitness, agility, overhead marking, positional flexibility, core strength, contested work and foot skills over this preseason he could be anything.

We need to get Bevoman back in here and see if he'll agree to trade Fin for Lord and a 1st rounder.
I'm missing him already. He was so lovely.

We need to get Bevoman back in here and see if he'll agree to trade Fin for Lord and a 1st rounder.
I wonder about his user name.
Hinkleman would seem more appropriate, but given Port supporters ongoing call to sack Hinkley, maybe not. :D

I don't think that all the blame can be laid on Hine. The COVID affected 2020 draft is looking like a shambles. More than half of the top 20 picks that year are looking like delistings or middling journeymen at best. Problem is that we managed to perfect storm it with our salary cap explosion forcing us to replace half a dozen experienced players with cheap draftees in one hit.
yep, the famous draft that our recruiting team were desperate to get into the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that all the blame can be laid on Hine. The COVID affected 2020 draft is looking like a shambles. More than half of the top 20 picks that year are looking like delistings or middling journeymen at best. Problem is that we managed to perfect storm it with our salary cap explosion forcing us to replace half a dozen experienced players with cheap draftees in one hit.

Our recruiters actually did alright in that 2020 Draft …

- Beau McCreery (ND pick 48) is turning out to be a decent pickup.

- Oliver Henry (ND pick 17) has turned out to be a decent forward line player. Kicked 37 goals this year. Pity it wasn’t for us, but that’s not our recruiters’ fault.

- Jack Ginnivan (RD pick 13) has turned out to be a handy forward line player. Kicked 28 goals this year. Pity is wasn’t for us, but that’s not our recruiters’ fault.

- Caleb Poulter (ND pick 30) played 7 games this year for a team that played finals. Pity he didn’t pull his finger out when playing for us.

- Liam McMahon was a bust.

- Reef and Fin are TBD, but it’s not looking good.

- Beau McCreery (ND pick 48) is turning out to be decent

- Oliver Henry (ND pick 17) has turned out to be a decent forward line player. Kicked 37 goals this year. Pity it wasn’t for us, but that’s not our recruiters’ fault.

- Jack Ginnivan (RD pick 13) has turned out to be a handy forward line player. Kicked 28 goals this year. Pity is wasn’t for us, but that’s not our recruiters’ fault.

- Caleb Poulter (ND pick 30) played 7 games this year for a team that played finals. Pity he didn’t pull his finger out when playing for us.

It's the early picks that Hine got caught out. Henry was a stupid decision, Poulter is really average and ginni a stab in the dark.

It's the early picks that Hine got caught out. Henry was a stupid decision, Poulter is really average and ginni a stab in the dark.

Why was Henry a stupid decision?

Recruiters have to take risks. We recruited Nick Maxwell via Geelong Falcons and he didn’t want to go home? Plenty of examples of players who are quite content not to play in the same team as their brother?

Poulter actually started out OK and played a few decent games but then went backwards. By his own admission he slackened off at Collingwood.

As for Ginni being a stab in the dark, all players are a stab in the dark. It’s just different shades of darkness involved.

- Beau McCreery (ND pick 48) is turning out to be a decent pickup.

It's looking like 1 out 5 picks in the top 30 is going to be a winner and he doesn't play for us anymore! People talk about how our recent future trading is going to set the club back but I think that this draft is the one that is going to haunt us. Collingwood almost needs to keep trading in experienced players to offset the dearth of this missed draft. Because even if they nail the next couple, there's going to be a big hole between when these kids develop and your Maynard, JDG, J Daicos etc.

It's looking like 1 out 5 picks in the top 30 is going to be a winner and he doesn't play for us anymore! People talk about how our recent future trading is going to set the club back but I think that this draft is the one that is going to haunt us. Collingwood almost needs to keep trading in experienced players to offset the dearth of this missed draft. Because even if they nail the next couple, there's going to be a big hole between when these kids develop and your Maynard, JDG, J Daicos etc.
Could have been worse. We could have had 3 top 10 picks in that draft, with all 3 being ordinary at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back