ArachniX

Senior List
Oct 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I was just wondering, after reading about the Lions logo change, what was in the original merger agreement that affects the future choices of the Fitzroy Football Club.

Mainly, is the Fitzroy football club allowed to stand alone as an entity using the name Fitzroy football club, in any other football competitions?

Ignoring financial reasons or player recruitment etc, could it simply enter a team in the VFL or say an A-league team or Rugby Union team for instance? Or if say for some reason SANFL decided to create a semi-national league and were looking for victorian clubs.

Is there something in that agreement that prevents this?

I'm sure this can be explained in more detail by others but I'll try:
Fitzroy continued to exist in its own right. The Brisbane Lions grew out of The Brisbane Bears taking on elements of Fitzroy without actually incorporating the whole club.
Fitzroy recommenced fielding a side at the start of this year after a merger with an amature club called the Fitzroy Reds who Fitzroy FC had supported for quite a few years. We will be playing next season in C section of the VAFA.
There is nothing in the 'merger agreement' preventing us from fielding as many sides in as many other comps as we like.

So that being the case, if Fitzroy were to enter another competition would they be able to call themselves the Lions or use the Lion emblem or would that remain the property of Brisbane?

Currently we don't tend to refer to ourselves as the Lions, that is in part to avoid confusion with Brisbane but its also because of the merger with the Fitzroy Reds which has seen us take the field once again.
We officially refer to ourselves as the 'Roys' which is pretty universal but people tend to call us whatever combination of Roys/Reds/Lions/Maroons/Gorillas they feel like.

I know thats not quite a definitive answer but thats as much as I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy merger agreement with Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back