Fitzroy Reds and VAFAUA to stage a joint training session

Remove this Banner Ad

eddiesmith said:
Training? Umpires train? Maybe thats why im doing lower grades :D

Do the umps train?!

A standard pre-season training session with the ammos umpires consists of a 1200m, followed by 2 x 800m, followed by 4 x 400m, followed by 2 x 200m, followed by 4x100m.

And, then you've got warm-down exercises. They do more running than any footy club I've seen.

eddiesmith said:
Whilst us goal umpires sit back in the goal square and laugh. Ive got no idea when we start back again but im glad we dont do anywhere near the running the field and boundaries do. The only thing stopping me from taking up field umpiring is the training

March 2nd..didn't get the letter from the boss?

G'day guys,

I play for St johns in D3.

Was just wondering what grade you guys umpire in???

Unfortunately there are no decent VAFA threads on this site!

bring on draft said:
G'day guys,

I play for St johns in D3.

Was just wondering what grade you guys umpire in???

Unfortunately there are no decent VAFA threads on this site!

Hi there,
I'm from Rupertswood, we have had some good tussles against you guys over the last few years.

Any good or bad memories against us ?

eddiesmith said:
I umpired a St Johns reserves GF about 2 years ago I think. I usually do games around the Ringwood area

I normally play in the reserves Eddie but unfortunately that year I was playing seniors and the ressies won that Grand Final as far as I can remember!!!!

As for Rupertswood ben, I can't say I do have many memories. I always seem to unavailable when we play you blokes away! Always get a mystery virus! hehehe.

Will be interesting to see how you guys go in D2, have you picked up many players???

St johns have picked up nobody and have actually lost quite a few of the older players due to retirements. Will probably finish middle to bottom of the table this year.

GO JOX!

Aaron

also a goal umpire at the Amatuers, and, contrary to previous posts, I would much prefer that we ran a bit more training as Goal Umpires, rather than catering almost solely for the morbidly obese. There is almost no point in turning up for the 60minutes of training, because I could do double the amount of running in a quater of the time elsewhere.
That said, I love my goal umpiring, and field umpiring would only ever come up for a junior competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of goal umpires. In the Reserves semi final last year 5 minutes into the game we had to stop because the goal umpire had had a heart attack or ceisure or something. Couldn't restart the game until the ambulance had taken the poor fella to hospital. Do any of you know him???

Or maybe you know my mate Pete Liddell who has been umpiring for a few years now in the ammo's??? He started in D4 and he reckons he's up to C grade now. Not a bad bloke either.

I do remember hearing of that, I heard about it on the day whil umpiring. Didn't know the guy personally, but I believe he is alright, probably no longer umpiring.
Have also heard of Peter Liddel.

Only did my first year goal umpiring last season, but managed one A grade game in the last A grader for the year (before finals), but most of the year was in C's and B's.

You do make a fair point Mick regarding training for us goalies..it does need a balance between running and skills work.

As for me I'm up the top end of the group (one of the "veterans" lol).

I was the guy at the other end in that Reserves final with the collapsed goalie. Poor bugger. All being told he didn't umpire the rest of '04, but, he may yet umpire '05.

Pete's a good mate actually...often share..err..many drinks with him at times :p

Hopefully Travis (the former VFL umpire) comes back, as has been suggested in letters and emails from Shane, so it will give the younger ones more of a chance to train completely and properly. I understand that some of the 'veterans' can't handle it, and really, at least they are training to get them a tad fitter than what they are. I try to make it to training every week, but obviously sometimes school will get in the way, but hopefully I can get a few A grade games this year...

It isn't easy to make it to A and keep the spot there. The competition is pretty fierce.

Trust me, I'm into my 9th year now. Experience does tend to count a bit (unfortunately for me, I won't be able to umpire that much early in the season due to other circumstances).

Trav is coming back. Don't mean to say this in the way I do, but, when I started, it was basically all skills based. Getting into the right position was a big thing to practice at training. It just seems today, it's almost an after-thought.

Heck, I'd love it if more clubs joined us for training sessions..sort of like proper match practice. Because I know with some of the talent starting to come through, they could benefit from that. Didn't do blokes like me any harm.

One thing I'll add is this. When I trained with the Riddell league guys last year up at Rupertswood, they did a lot of different exercises. If we could take some of those on, it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

The most important things to do are running/fitness (as that is why I believe many of the older guys continue to umpire), and getting in the right position. Training last year wasn't really training for anything, and the only reason I turned up was to see if I could move up the grades, which I did. Other than that its practically worthless in most respects.
It will be interesting how it is all run this year.

pazza said:
You do make a fair point Mick regarding training for us goalies..it does need a balance between running and skills work.

As for me I'm up the top end of the group (one of the "veterans" lol).

I was the guy at the other end in that Reserves final with the collapsed goalie. Poor bugger. All being told he didn't umpire the rest of '04, but, he may yet umpire '05.

Pete's a good mate actually...often share..err..many drinks with him at times :p

If you were at the other end Pazza you might remember me. We came from behind that day and just got over the line. We kicked 6 goals for the whole day and was lucky enough to @r$e 4 out of the 6. hehehe.

Yeah Pete is a good bloke, ask him about our footy trip to Tassie a few years ago. You'll pi$$ yourself!! hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy Reds and VAFAUA to stage a joint training session

Remove this Banner Ad

Back