Fitzroys Future

Remove this Banner Ad

maroon and blue said:
I would prefer that BL and FFC further strengthen their links. It would be ideal if BL and FFC jointly establish FFC in the VFL . The positive outcomes for both parties would be many.

Hey guys,

I actually agree with this post. There's a few issues that would need to be sorted. Brisbane Lions already have a reserves team in the AFLQ, the Suncoast Lions, but if you could get some sort of arrangement happening, whereby say some of the better reserves players (White, Pike, etc) could come down and play for Fitzroy in the VFL, that would be palatable. Say like Sydney used to have with Port Melbourne, they used to have 4 players, their best 4 players not in the seniors, come and play for Port every week. Well I think you'd need more than 4 Brisbane Lions players, but say 8, then that would make Fitzroy competitive. The problem with trying to align with a Melbourne or a Kangaroos outfit is that these teams already have successful alignments with Sandringham and Port Melbourne respectively. Apart from Geelong, there's no real AFL team in Melbourne that is unaligned, and you guys are spot-on in saying that the Brisbane Lions would not be too happy about Fitzroy being re-born and aligning with a different AFL side. I completely agree that Fitzroy, if they were to join the VFL, should play their home games at either Optus Oval or Jock McHale Stadium (Victoria Park), both of which are close to Fitzroy and both of which have hosted Fitzroy games when they existed in the past. I think a Brisbane Lions alignment would work as far as Brisbane are concerned too, as it would allow their players to get match fitness and the like back up in the premier amateur competition in the land, surely that would be preferable than them going up against teams in the AFLQ. Definitely this could work, but it's just whether Brisbane would be prepared to put the money up. If worse comes to worse, I still think Fitzroy could go it alone, though it would be hard to raise the capital necessary. I must apologise to you people for not being able to mention Fitzroy in yesterday's broadcast, I wanted to at half-time but the guys got an interview with a Box Hill Hawks player. What I may try and do is contact the guys on the Saturday morning VFL Footy Show, where they will have a better chance of having the time necessary to discuss this. I will still try and get a mention in during the next couple of weeks when I am broadcasting, but it seems that time constraints may prove this a very difficult thing to get happening. We'll see, fingers crossed, as I truly believe that Fitzroy entering the VFL will just add a completely new and beneficial direction to the VFL competition. Keep fighting guys, the Fitzroy Football Club deserves to live again,

Thanks, Anthony Brady.

maroon and blue said:
I would prefer that BL and FFC further strengthen their links. It would be ideal if BL and FFC jointly establish FFC in the VFL . The positive outcomes for both parties would be many.

That makes a lot of sense, although I'd assume Brisbane would be more interested in pushing Aussie Rules in Queensland with their 'reserves' team than basing it in Melbourne.

Broken said:
That makes a lot of sense, although I'd assume Brisbane would be more interested in pushing Aussie Rules in Queensland with their 'reserves' team than basing it in Melbourne.

I dont think Brisbane will be have that view after what happend to the Brisbane reserves players on the weekend in the QAFL OR ALFQ or whatever is called these days

Chris Scott was king hit behind play and the other team were targeting the Brisbane senio players such as Chris Scott and Martin Pike.

Chris Scott had to go off after the king hit in the first quarter and went back in the second seeking revenge and got it and the other team player was knocked out then another blew happened and Chris scott had to go off again has he was hit again.

Chris Scott was also reported and there is TV vision of the Chris Scott Report

Hey Guys

Someone mentioned the Newtown Jets Rugby League Club in Sydney. I am a big Newtown Jets fan and I help out on match days as timekeeper. Fitzroy reminds me a lot of Newtown. It’s not just the football team; it’s the area itself. Because of that I have a big soft spot for Fitzroy FC.

I’d love to see the Roys in the VFL like you guys are talking about here. Obviously money is a big factor.

For what it’s worth I think the Roys should do it by linking up with the Brisbane Lions. Queensland isn’t yet big enough to supply Brisbane with its own players. Fitzroy could approach Brisbane and offer Brisvegas a link between up and coming Victorian youth players and the AFL. The link would be the FFC VFL side.

For money, it would be hard to come by. Here in NSW, poker machines are big cash cows that fund sport. You guys don’t have that privilege and really the Jets don’t either. Our club pales in comparison to those of our competitors. Like Newtown though, there is a core of support out there for Fitzroy so with a little hard work you could raise money with sponsorship. You could also make money from memberships, gate receipts, other match day receipts (catering and corporate hospitality) and fundraising events (dinners, raffles, etc). That’s how we do it at the Newtown Jets.

As for a home ground, I’d prefer Northcote to Optus Oval or Victoria Park. The former is very close to the Fitzroy heartlands and the latter would seem like you were playing on someone else’s ground.

Fitzroy could get an average of 2000 people at a VFL game. Make a go of it! I’ll sign up as a member.

I was there at the SCG in 81 when Newtown went oh-so-close in the Big One. The world would have been a much better place if Newtown had won the JJ G Shield that day. Go the Mighty Bluebaggers!

North Melbourne are looking for an VFL affiliation having severed their relationship with Port Melbourne.

It would be somewhat ironic if Fitzroy were to strike a deal with North Melbourne and provide their VFL presence. Can't see it happening though, unless the merger deal was severed with further violations of the minimum Brisbane Lions six games in Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroys Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back