Expansion Fixturing / Finals With 18 Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, especially on the conferences. Dividing the teams up into divisions just won't sit well with a lot of fans. How are the divisions decided? Do they change each year? I don't like the concept.

I don't expect anything like this to happen, this post season idea is just that, an idea. I know the AFL will be too scared to try anything remotely different like this.

I just think there are a lot of benefits to a system like this. The post season would become something epic, with only the best teams playing each other, every game, every week for almost 2 months. People talk of extending the season to 24 or more rounds.

We know the final 8 is usually set for the most part by round 15, when everyone has played everyone once. Why waste time when we pretty much know who the best teams in the comp are anyway?

I have a similar view to the divisions as many others: two Vic teams go west, two Vic teams go north, six Vic teams make a division, and they all rotate on a yearly basis, meaning that you will be in the Victorian division 3 years out of 5. However, I do have a caveat that each team should have 14 home state games and 8 away - meaning that most Victorian games would be Victorian vs. Victorian.

What may be a better option, as well as a way to even out the competition, is the idea posted earlier to have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th place from the previous year in one group, do the same with 7-12 and 13-18, and each group plays groupmates twice for the 22 games.

I am STAUNCHLY opposed to a 24 game season. I don't know where you people got the idea (NRL? Don't we NOT want to be like them) and 22 works much better for basically any number of teams between 12 and 18 and has worked for the VFL/AFL for decades - there's no real reason to change it without marginalizing the game.

Do you guys just not like the pre-season competition? It's a good test run - without marginalizing GOOD footy.

There is one simple reason why there will never be a 17 round season, MONEY. Imagine Nth Melbourne or Melbourne losing 3 home games of income each year, possibly as much as $1 Million a season. They would both go broke, and all of a sudden we would be back to a 16 team comp. Oh wait, that would be awesome, bring on a 17 round comp till 2 victorian teams go broke, and then we can have 8 teams in Melbourne, and 8 interstate (PERFECTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Fixturing / Finals With 18 Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back