Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s that time again. Cats march into top 4 with back to back 10 goal drubbings . I think west coast and tigers are the two challengers yet we’ve signed Hendo, Harry and Ablett for another year and topped up with Jenkins and Steven for this very tilt. We are one out and one back and looking good. The depth looks more solid, less reliance on dangerwood, best defence again and Tommy firing. Add to all this is the fact we won’t play MCG finals, Scott on top of his game and thus far a fit list to choose from with a fresh Ablett to come back.
Yes things change even in a week of football , but if we finish top 4 (should be likely from here) and win a final we are in a prelim again for the 5th time in 8 years!
And that for me will be flag or flop time! Go cats!

succinct summary, well said.

It’s that time again. Cats march into top 4 with back to back 10 goal drubbings . I think west coast and tigers are the two challengers yet we’ve signed Hendo, Harry and Ablett for another year and topped up with Jenkins and Steven for this very tilt. We are one out and one back and looking good. The depth looks more solid, less reliance on dangerwood, best defence again and Tommy firing. Add to all this is the fact we won’t play MCG finals, Scott on top of his game and thus far a fit list to choose from with a fresh Ablett to come back.
Yes things change even in a week of football , but if we finish top 4 (should be likely from here) and win a final we are in a prelim again for the 5th time in 8 years!
And that for me will be flag or flop time! Go cats!
First of all I note your post was mostly positive but it's "Can Cats win a flag!!!!??????" talk is still the central point;

I'd hate to get wrapped up in footy talk parlance but why not just enjoy each week as it comes? It's great we're playing well now. It will suck if or when that drops off (deal with it then). Finals will be a nerve wracking time (they always are). Just enjoy the peaks now and then deal with the lows if they come.

I'm pretty brutal when it comes to these types of situations, essentially it comes down to "can the Cats realistically win the Flag".
If yes then absolutely it's flag or bust, I really don't like getting ourselves into a position to win the flag and then failing, so simply put, if we put ourselves into a position to succeed, then success is the only acceptable result.

With regards to 'flag or flop' I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least make the GF given how many failed finals campaigns we had since 2011 as well as how this season is panning out.

You spoilt pack of campaigners!!!!! All 18 teams would cut off their right nut to not make a Grand Final every year but win heaps of games.
Even the women's teams if they could.
Every year we somehow drag 22 dead set shittrucks into the finals and we've never had a draft pick.
You all better have a big smile on your face at the end of the year no matter what.

We made the GF in 2011 and won. Hawks, Pies, and West Coast rounded out the top 4. All of them have made a GF since then, and in West Coat's and Hawthorn's case, they won a flag. It's our turn, no more excuses.

Our current football is convincing. We look capable and settled on every line. Some champions finding form, some second tiers emerging with their best ever footy, some youngsters stepping up. Coaches in very good form. No so called ‘easy wins’ at Kardinia park to justify our high finishing position. No team standing out as too good.
So it’s go for the flag for moi. Good chance.

Can we not bring that crap in here. I'm so sick of threads mentioning that binjuice of a club with the most feral supporters in Aus. Give it a rest.
Settle down. They are the benchmark. Has nothing to do with their fans.
It’s my opinion. Don’t like it? Don’t reply.
Jog off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You spoilt pack of campaigners!!!!! All 18 teams would cut off their right nut to not make a Grand Final every year but win heaps of games.
Even the women's teams if they could.
Every year we somehow drag 22 dead set shittrucks into the finals and we've never had a draft pick.
You all better have a big smile on your face at the end of the year no matter what.
Jesus, something bad happened to you over the years. Sarcastic digs are literally all you have left.

I guess it's better than telling blokes you love them lol
Wait you actually think drunken merriment (with a very tongue in cheek Seinfeld quote) is worse than being sad and passive aggressive? Explains your demeanour lately, at least.

Hand to my heart, love every single Geelong supporter here that provide insight and interesting conversation. Something you've been averse to during your time here.

Jesus, something bad happened to you over the years. Sarcastic digs are literally all you have left.
Sarcastic?????? I'm just so goddamn sick of all you spoilt bastards.
We've only ever made finals in our whole history because we play at Kardinia Park and you arseholes think we should make a Grand Final????? With not one good player???
And with Richmond taking all the good ones cause they play at the MCG???
And their supporters even say stuff behind our back!!!!! Like they don't even support us???
When they got all the draft picks? And we have to play them at the MCG?
We've never had a chance against them at that ground before.
And we're supposed to make a Grand Final?
Just thank Jesus we can get these pack of jail bird scumbag homeless "footballers" we got off the street into some sort of final, when there's this team that actually plays at the MCG who seems they don't like us.
We're worse off than Fitzroy. How are we even in the league?
Go to hell you creeps. Your all worse than Hitler.
Sar-castic? It's a little bit cloudy.

Last edited:
Sarcastic?????? I'm just so goddamn sick of all you spoilt bastards.
We've only ever made finals in our whole history because we play at Kardinia Park and you arseholes think we should make a Grand Final????? With not one good player???
And with Richmond taking all the good ones cause they play at the MCG???
And their supporters even say stuff behind our back!!!!! Like they don't even support us???
When they got all the draft picks? And we have to play them at the MCG?
We've never had a chance against them at that ground before.
And we're supposed to make a Grand Final?
Just thank Jesus we can get these pack of jail bird scumbag homeless "footballers" we got off the street into some sort of final, when there's this team that actually plays at the MCG who seems they don't like us.
We're worse off than Fitzroy. How are we even in the league?
Go to hell you creeps. Your all worse than Hitler.
Sar-castic? It's a little bit cloudy.
Satire works better if you leave out the exclamation and question marks.

Did crazy calling you spoilt really wind you up that much? Oddly, you were more cheerful earlier in the season when Geelong were losing more.

Always better to be in contention and risk failure. Why would you rather not be in with a chance at all?

Satire works better if you leave out the exclamation and question marks.

Did crazy calling you spoilt really wind you up that much? Oddly, you were more cheerful earlier in the season when Geelong were losing more.

Always better to be in contention and risk failure. Why would you rather not be in with a chance at all?
You should be happy I'm being sar-cas-tic. Otherwise we'd seem like an absolute embarrassment of excuse making supporters. I hate it.
It's disgraceful. Want the best FFS. We deserve it. Why not? Why don't we?
Yeah I'll always stick up for us if we're getting kicked when we're down.
Cause I know we're way better and our players are way better than a strange loss to Carlton or a umpire assisted loss against Collingwood. It's a weird Corona season.
I think we are a good team with a good coach!
There's no lame excuses this year. And they were always lame anyway.
As if we don't have good players, the KP thing means f*k all and f*k the club for making it a thing. It's lame.
Go for for the flag. No excuses.
Let's make this exciting, not just another overachieving finals thing.
Who said it was overachieving anyway.
Who's actually thought our players were so shit compared to others?
(Not sarcastic)

I'm pretty brutal when it comes to these types of situations, essentially it comes down to "can the Cats realistically win the Flag".
If yes then absolutely it's flag or bust, I really don't like getting ourselves into a position to win the flag and then failing, so simply put, if we put ourselves into a position to succeed, then success is the only acceptable result.

Define realistically?? Generally if your a top four side your in with a realistic chance and need to go all out while you can.

Bulldogs of 07-10 era was great team and a well coached team who fell short much like we have, yet they absolutely did the right thing going all out, infact probably should have gone even harder at recruiting holes to bridge the gap.

If your definition is a once in a 150 year history of our entire club team like the one we had 07-11 obviousness or you draw from the well again then you might be being a bit unrealistic with your definition of ” in with a realistic chance”

Define realistically?? Generally if your a top four side your in with a realistic chance and need to go all out while you can.

Bulldogs of 07-10 era was great team and a well coached team who fell short much like we have, yet they absolutely did the right thing going all out, infact probably should have gone even harder at recruiting holes to bridge the gap.

If your definition is a once in a 150 year history of our entire club team like the one we had 07-11 obviousness or you draw from the well again then you might be being a bit unrealistic with your definition of ” in with a realistic chance”

Great team?
They finished top four 3 times in the space of 3 years and never advanced to a grand final and that is your definition of a great team :p

I can see why you judge Chris Scott so incredibly highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back