Loony

Debutant
Aug 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS Giants, LA Lakers
No coverage of match but media reports say Folau was reported twice vs Richmond.

Interested in hearing from anyone who may have been at the game as to whether Folau has anything to worry about in terms of being suspended?

Re: Folau Report

I'd read during the game that he'd been reported once, wasn't aware of the second one. One was for throwing Daniel Jackson to the ground off the ball, which apparently resulted in a free and 50 which seems excessive in itself (depending on the nature of the contact of course).

Hard to know having not seen it, but it's a concern leading into round one.

The 2nd report apparently happened early in the 3rd quarter. Again rough conduct this time on Deledio

Hmmm only this in the GWS match report on their website:

Reports: Folau (GWS) reported by umpire Nicholls for high contact on Jackson (Rich) in the second quarter.

Folau on report as Tigers thrash GWS
The rugby league convert was pinged 10 minutes before halftime at Canberra's Manuka Oval for what looked like a rough tackle on Richmond's Daniel Jackson close to the Giants' forward 50.

But just a week from their AFL debut against Sydney, Folau would be unlucky to miss out on his first premiership match, given Jackson still managed to get a handball away before umpire Matthew Nicholls blew his whistle.

Not much in it by the sounds of it but we'll soon find out...

There's no way the AFL will suspend him for the opening game, GWS vs Sydney. They have too much banked on it. Likely they will sack the umpire for giving them a headache.

Nothing in it, I was at the game. Tigers players are a bunch of wimps.

No doubt they will finish 9thmond again this year.

:cool:

Really mature ********, lets see you play that tune is Folau starts caving in Magpies players heads once he realises he is untouchable in regards to suspension due to his marketting value...

BTW GWS supporters im not having a go at your club more so that the AFL will always bend rules to protect their investments.

I was at the game and both incidents happened in front of me.

The first was the Jackson incident. Izzy was near the GWS interchange and seemed frustrated with his performance. A scuffle broke out between Izzy and Jackson (known head case). As they wrestle, Izzy picks up Jackson and dumps him on the ground like a rag doll, but not in an overly dangerous fashion (ie not on his head). The only high contact may have been an astray push, but there were definately no punches thrown.

I'd be very surprised to see any action taken, really not much in it. I thought it was a complete over-reaction from the ump to be honest.

The second incident was a non-event. Delidio was standing under the ball and Izzy cleaned him up from behind in a genuine marking contest. From memory it was play-on, with nothing further warranted.

The bigger concern was Izzy's performance which left alot to be desired. His biggest problem is he seems unable to find space making him a sitting duck.

Let's hope he improves.

The first was the Jackson incident. Izzy was near the GWS interchange and seemed frustrated with his performance. A scuffle broke out between Izzy and Jackson (known head case). As they wrestle, Izzy picks up Jackson and dumps him on the ground like a rag doll, but not in an overly dangerous fashion (ie not on his head). The only high contact may have been an astray push, but there were definately no punches thrown.

I'd be very surprised to see any action taken, really not much in it. I thought it was a complete over-reaction from the ump to be honest.

The second incident was a non-event. Delidio was standing under the ball and Izzy cleaned him up from behind in a genuine marking contest. From memory it was play-on, with nothing further warranted.

The bigger concern was Izzy's performance which left alot to be desired. His biggest problem is he seems unable to find space making him a sitting duck.

Let's hope he improves.

Thanks for the informed opinion, seems like there wasn't anything in either incident :). Goodluck for the rest of the year (except against us:D).

Let's hope he improves.

Thanks for the insight. :thumbsu:
Hopefully the AFL see the incidents the same way you did.

Proper reports from the AFL.com.au match report:

Reports: Folau (GWS) reported by umpire Nicholls for rough conduct on Jackson (Rich) in the second quarter.

Folau (GWS) reported by umpire Jennings for rough conduct on Deledio (Rich) in the third quarter.

Seems like there's nothing in it from what riolo has said. I wonder if Jordan Bannister (who was another of the game's umpired) as a former player would've reported the incidents had they been under his watch.

Yeah I was there, saw the first one, nothing really in it, bit of ragdolling a sheparding player away. Free kick fair enough, the 50 was for not giving the ball back afterward but the report seemed a bit of the top.
Didn't even realise the second one had happened either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's hope he improves.

Yes - pretty much how I saw it too. Didn't realise he was reported for the contact with Delidio but it was a pretty hard hit and I'm not sure his eyes were entirely on the ball. He will not be rubbed out for these reports, they were reportable and he will get points, but he is too important for the opening game publicity. However I would bet that he will not get away with it again. Hopefully he will realise that he is doing what no one has done before and it will take time for him to for him to work his way in to the game. He looks lost most of the time. When he had space he didn't lead in to it. His teammates don't look for him because he is not leading. In the ruck though he might be another story - he had some terrific hit outs in the last quarter.

Re: Folau reported twice

Was watching EMT on Foxtel tonight, and Adrian Anderson (AFL Ops Manager) was on. Eddie brought up the report and basically said tongue in cheek that Folau was going to be nowhere but ANZ stadium on Saturday night. Adrian Anderson with a wry smile on his face that Israel would be treated like any other player. Yeah right! With no vision of the game/incident, he will get off easy. Even if they did want to charge him with something, it would be very minor, and with no carry over points (as he has not played a game), and an early guilty plea, you can rest assured that he will be there on Saturday night.

Was watching EMT on Foxtel tonight, and Adrian Anderson (AFL Ops Manager) was on. Eddie brought up the report and basically said tongue in cheek that Folau was going to be nowhere but ANZ stadium on Saturday night. Adrian Anderson with a wry smile on his face that Israel would be treated like any other player. Yeah right! With no vision of the game/incident, he will get off easy. Even if they did want to charge him with something, it would be very minor, and with no carry over points (as he has not played a game), and an early guilty plea, you can rest assured that he will be there on Saturday night.

Whilst this may or may not be true, the fact remains that from what I saw (and I was only 20m away) the offence/s simply doesn't warrant a suspension. So don't get on your high horse when he gets off on Monday night. Even a Demons player would get off (although I doubt any Demons player would have the strength to rag-doll Jackson, but that's another issue).

It seems the accounts of those at the game were correct:

@AFL
Israel Folau (@GWS_Giants) has been cleared of both rough conduct charges. Neither incident had the force required to justify a report.

On to round one!

There was footage from both incidents.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130992/default.aspx
Folau's incidents are at the end. Nothing in either that would warrant suspension in my opinion.

Gerard Wheatley just tweeted: Watch Izzy reports on #AFL360. should never have gone in the book. They'll make you laugh out loud. Conspiracy theorists stand down.

Pretty much sums it up.

There is footage of both incidents about 3:45 of the linked video.
The Jackson throw away is a serious embarrassment for the umpire who reported him.
The Lids tackle you can at least see why he was reported because of the nature of the lifting tackle but Izzy basically places him on the ground safe and sound. :D

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/431689/invoke/Default.aspx

The first incident was as I reported.

The 2nd was another incident than I thought, but still nothing in it.

The real question is: how soft are the umpires these days??? fair dinkum!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back