News Foley Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Axle was one of my favorite players, watching him at his best was always a good show, it's a shame that his injuries ruined his career. <3 Axle.

He was true inspiration for those who needed to see that hardwork and sheer determination can actually really get you places

Was my fave player, and i loved nothing more to see axle to the trademark breakaway from a centre bounce and get an inside 50.

He was the right man, at the wrong time (somewhat like Richo)

Loved his blue collar credentials, and that he was obviously proud of them, and undeniable >100% effort week after week.
LOVED his burst and clearance.
Good job waiting for him at Ferrari to teach them a thing or 2 about acceleration!

All the best Axl!

Need another gem in the late picks to keep the fancy firstpicks honest for sure!

Looks like one of the genuinely great blokes around football clubs. The ultimate professional, such a shame he never managed to get a crack at it without injury. What could have been...

All the best to Axel on a great career, sad to see it cut short by injury. Wish you all the best on e next stage of your life hope you eat'm'alive in whatever you do!

Cruelled by injuries, but in full flight, he was the very definition of "line breaker". He was one of my favorite players in a side that didn't boast the talent we have today. If only he was 10 years younger and fully fit. He would be the missing link to propel us into a top 4 spot this year.

Sad day for him, but at least it takes the pressure off him. He was a very good player across his career, and for 2 seasons, was elite. I hope he remains at the club in any capacity.

All the best Stifler. You and Richo were great to watch in some pretty shit years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top bloke. Humble gentleman.
And he chose to keep the number 41 because one kid told him he'd got it for his jumper specially.

Sad to see him go.
Best wishes m'boy.

Last edited:
This hits harder than the Jackson, King, Coughlan and Brown retirements.

Such a gun player, between 2007 and 2009even when he came back from injury he was such an important cog in the machine.

That 2008 Hall of fame match, he absolutely smashed it, best midfielder that Victoria had that night.

Shame he didn't get to play a game in he senior side this season as a send off.

Hope he does well in life after footy, absolute champion.

The 2007 and 2008 seasons were very bleak year's, Foley alongside Richo were the two players that carried us through it, shouldering the load for Deledio, Cotchin and Martin to develop. He was a fantastic player who was cruelled by injury, at his peak, his speed was something else. Thanks Axel!

All the best axel. Great player cruelled by injuries. Hope he stays on at the club in some role
Don't be silly as when was the last time we kept one of our own? We will go to Adelaide and hire someone.:D But on this guy a true champ I still remember the time he got a Vic jersey and was best on ground since then all has gone pare shape for him and it hurt us badly.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-08-13/foleys-farewell

Effective immediately, sad to see him go. Very good player who never got to realise his full potential due to injury, wish him all the best.

Will never forget watching him play for the Big V all those years ago, was electrifying. Was seriously good and sad we rarely got to see him at that level. I'll always have a soft spot for Axel.

On guy who got the best out of himself and should have no regrets

This hits harder than the Jackson, King, Coughlan and Brown retirements.

A great player, we were fortunate to indeed to take the punt on him!
And recruited in an era where we had such a dud recruiting team and most draft successes seemed like long shots (A Kellaway, A Krakour et al...).

Deserved to play a lot more games, an finals, like Coughlan and Dragacevic...

Remove this Banner Ad

News Foley Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back