Food thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the chips you get at Grilled, and the burgers are pretty damn good as well, I have even managed to convert the grandchildren from McDonald's to Grilled.

Their chips are nice but tell me you're not bored by the end? Admittedly, I haven't had their zucchini or sweet potato chips.

You don't need to eat chips, though. My initial complaint is basically focused on places that don't give you a real alternative. Side salads are a ******* joke, too. I shouldn't be made to seem like a **** for wanting more than lettuce and tomatoes in sald,

In general food is pretty average in Australia. In terms of variety and quality of food Japan is the best of the countries I've been to.

Surprisingly, the best pasta and pizza I've ever had was in Japan. Average food in Japan people world rave about here, it's a different world.

Have chips/fries always been this boring or am I just getting old?
Blocked.

In general food is pretty average in Australia. In terms of variety and quality of food Japan is the best of the countries I've been to.

Surprisingly, the best pasta and pizza I've ever had was in Japan. Average food in Japan people world rave about here, it's a different world.
You too, food snob.

Blocked.

You too, food snob.

No, you.

We have access to amazing produce and proteins in Australia. It's shameful the way we abuse it,

Japan is wonderful for food. I would kill for a hole in the wall I could enter for a decent Ramen with zero eye contact other than my bill. I want to go back so bad

Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka? Where and what did you most enjoy?

I'm not a foodie by any means, if I go out it's usually for steak and veg at a pub, it's hard to find a good Mexican restaurant but I love La Quinta on Oxford Street at Bulimba.

I went to Gambaro's for my sons birthday earlier this year for a seafood treat and it was bloody nice..... but as expensive as hell and you felt like you had to sit there with a spoon up your rectum, I was slightly under dressed for the occasion.

Tokyo's sushi, Kyoto's craft beer bars, and I regret not grabbing Osakan food because we only received suggestions after we'd visited.

We're all over the place.

I'm desperately missing pub chicken schnitzel and pepper sauce/gravy.

But then the wife and I also had our progress through Sydney's two and three hatted restaurants killed by lockdown.

Tokyo's sushi, Kyoto's craft beer bars, and I regret not grabbing Osakan food because we only received suggestions after we'd visited.

Bold statment with Sushi being Tokyo dominated. I say that as a **** that waited in snow for a Sushi breakfast back when Tsukiji fish market was a thing. You can legitimately get great sushi anywhere in Japan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife is from Fukuoka so can't go past tonkotsu ramen. There's so many good places to eat and a lot of it is really well priced. Even the food from konbinis like Lawson and Family Mart is pretty decent.

My wife is from Fukuoka so can't go past tonkotsu ramen. There's so many good places to eat and a lot of it is really well priced. Even the food from konbinis like Lawson and Family Mart is pretty decent.

How did you and your wife meet?

She's been living in Australia for 20 years. She loves visiting Japan but she would never live there again. Crazy working hours, lot of pressure on kids at school etc. Not as relaxed as Australia in a lot of ways.
There was an ABC article this morning about how immigrants find Australia when they first move here.

My wife is from Vietnam. I remember the first time my mother in law visited, I coped a scolding after my wife left for work at 8:45am (it’s a 15 minute drive to my wife’s work) on how I could let my wife run so late for work, when her office is opposite her boss (the Dean of Education). I laughed and said, she’ll still be at work half an hour before he arrives. Mother in law couldn’t believe how relaxed working in higher education is.

There are lots of great ethnic foods available in Australia. You just have to know where to find the real thing.

One of my simple favourites is banh mi. It’s the Vietnamese version of subway, but so much nicer. It’s hard to find authentic’ish banh mi outside of Inala or Darra. The main reason is not many places use the traditional rice flour buns.

But there’s a pretty good place in Wooloongabba called, My Street Food, near the corner of Deshen Street. Often see Lions staff and coaches there when I’m getting take away.

I do miss the street food of Vietnam, and the street markets. Every city and town has its on speciality.

Bold statment with Sushi being Tokyo dominated. I say that as a **** that waited in snow for a Sushi breakfast back when Tsukiji fish market was a thing. You can legitimately get great sushi anywhere in Japan.
LOL, nothing particularly bold. We just have a couple of young kids and the "food courts" in the basements seemed to always contain some rocking sushi in a pretty casual atmosphere.

Funnily enough the single unexpectedly best thing we found was the oyaki in Nagano. All of us loved different variants of them. The spiced apple ones were great desserts as well.

It’s hard to find authentic’ish banh mi outside of Inala or Darra. The main reason is not many places use the traditional rice flour buns.

But there’s a pretty good place in Wooloongabba
I was going to disagree until I realised you were specifically thinking about Brisbane. :D

Our local Viet-owned bakery has shut due to COVID and it's truly a loss to the neighbourhood. Genuine banh mis without going to Cabramatta or the likes, plus the actual baked goods were excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back