Footy Bash – New Arcade AFL Game Like NBA Jam and Super Blood Hockey

Remove this Banner Ad

We did try the NBA Jam speed, but it just ended up being a back and forth of goals (a bit too much like basketball), so some sacrifice in speed really lets you throw some big tackles around.

A lot of the work between Late October 2023 and March 2024 was done in the backend. Tightening up punch/tackle distances to make sure there wasn't any odd behaviour, and even tightening up the marking. Previously, you could smother the ball from positions you shouldn't have been able to, and there was no way to get the ball under a player if they were in the air.

Also the AI was near non-existent in the first trailer, but now they're functioning more like players would. I guess this is where a dev log would be useful...

The trailers primary focus was to show some more reactive animations (looking down for a kick, etc...) and give us a chance to do something a little different.

Pretty accurate assessment on the trailer though haha
Have you guys thought about or tested having a larger oval? That would allow for faster gameplay and larger more exaggerated kicks.

Having a larger open field would also allow for more loose ball and therefore more contests where the ball can be fought for using bumps etc instead of mostly marking contests and the odd spillage.

It's looking great so far. Day one purchase for me when it comes to PS

Have you guys thought about or tested having a larger oval? That would allow for faster gameplay and larger more exaggerated kicks.

Having a larger open field would also allow for more loose ball and therefore more contests where the ball can be fought for using bumps etc instead of mostly marking contests and the odd spillage.

It's looking great so far. Day one purchase for me when it comes to PS
Yep! One of the things that made the largest change was to scale the players down, which kept the same sized oval, but gave a lot more play space.

We also initially during the early development had less players, but added more because it did add a lot more 'dead zones' and a bit slower gameplay since the ball was loose quite a bit more. But I'm glad you did mention the 'marking contest with the odd spillage', as that's someone we're currently working on! Without rambling off a list of changes (really need to do a Dev Blog), having the ball ricochet off a player that goes for a smother too close to a power kick will add in a lot more variation. As well as addressing how the AI interact with each other when waiting under the ball for a mark (bit of a jostle if you will :p).

We really do appreciate the feedback and will start a sounding board of sorts in our Discord because of the feedback we're getting.

So in an effort to be a bit more transparent on what we're working on, we've started a dev blog on our Steam store page and Discord.
We love the discussions on here and won't change how much we post, but it's just a way to centralise it all.

We had some people asking if this was coming to mobile, so I figured we'd post up a short video of the current build. The core game is fundamentally the same, with the exception of things like having to hold down sprint, etc... which would be a bit cumbersome on a small device.

As we progress the PC build, we're making sure the mobile build keeps up. Keeps us busy while we wait for some other companies to get back to us on their dev kits :moustache:

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd pop in and give a quick update based on some of the feedback in the thread!

We've tinkered around a bit and I think we've settled on a new 'base' game speed. It seemed there was a bit of a consensus that the game could use some speeding up so we've tweaked the game speed (players, velocities, etc...) and I think we're pretty happy with the results.

Additionally, we'll be adding in a 'turbo mode' to allow for additional speed.

I've added in another quick video to showcase the before and after of the speed change. Note that this was straight from a social media post, so the video is going to look pretty cropped!

As always, we're keen to hear your feedback!

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd pop in and give a quick update based on some of the feedback in the thread!

We've tinkered around a bit and I think we've settled on a new 'base' game speed. It seemed there was a bit of a consensus that the game could use some speeding up so we've tweaked the game speed (players, velocities, etc...) and I think we're pretty happy with the results.

I've added in another quick video to showcase the before and after of the speed change. Note that this was straight from a social media post, so the video is going to look pretty cropped!

That speed looks a lot better.

Hey everyone,

Ok so I think the speed now looks to quick. I think speeding up the game can be done by player running speeds and disposal speeds. It looks like it's running in fast forward because the animations are playing out quickly. It's difficult to make out what is actually happening.

Not crapping on your work at all just some giving my constructive observations.

It's hard to tell from watching and it may feel different while playing but there seems to be some slowdown when the player charges up a kick and gets a ball to take off.

I had this problem with my game at one stage and it felt a whole lot better by keep the current running speed the same when charging up the kick or taking possession. It adds a lot more flow to the feel of the game.

Keep up the good work keeping footy gaming alive!

Footy Bash – New Arcade AFL Game Like NBA Jam and Super Blood Hockey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back