Footy Convert

Remove this Banner Ad

bloods01

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
After 6 months of secret training sessions, we have activated a little known and rarly used clause to sign a skyscraping Brisbane teenager who has never played for a registered Aussie rules club. He has only played 3 games in total. Young 205cm Jake Orreal has been offered a two year rookie contract with us. He is an elite athlete who has excelled in many sports including volleyball and basketball. We used the same rule to recruit Tadhg Kennelly. Lucky for us he didn't play for any club last year because he would have been out of our reach.

He has all the skills required to be a great player, now it's just a matter of learning the game. Lets wait and see how this one pans out.

Good tip from rancidpants yesterday that this was going to happen.
(First time I've ever complimented someone with that particular affliction. :D).

An article about Orreal is up on the Swans homepage.
http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=52714#

Still don't understand the process.
They obviously do things differently up in Qld
"Because he has not been a registered AFL player for the past three years – or in Orreal’s case ever – he is not required to go through the normal draft process.....The Swans chose to punt on Orreal on the strength of three games with the Western Taipans in the Queensland U18 Championships in March despite the fact that he chose not to play in a formal football competition this year because of study commitments."

I would've thought you'd need to be a registered player to play with the Taipans.:confused:

Even if he turns out to be a dud, good on the Swans for thinking outside the square.
Has the size and given his volleyball and basketball background he obviously has some movement and motor skills and having gone to a rugby school the oval ball won't be totally foreign.

He obviously did OK in his 3 games as he was named in the original Qld U18 squad for 2007.
http://www.bushies.org/2007news-u18-state-squad.htm

He is also an ex high jumper. At 205cm AND with a vertical leap the sky is the limit (literally). Does anyone know anything about the 3 games he has played?

you'd have to think they were reasonable....i suspect it was what he'd been showing in the "secret" training sessions

Good tip from rancidpants yesterday that this was going to happen.
(First time I've ever complimented someone with that particular affliction. :D).

An article about Orreal is up on the Swans homepage.
http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=52714#

Still don't understand the process.
They obviously do things differently up in Qld
"Because he has not been a registered AFL player for the past three years – or in Orreal’s case ever – he is not required to go through the normal draft process.....The Swans chose to punt on Orreal on the strength of three games with the Western Taipans in the Queensland U18 Championships in March despite the fact that he chose not to play in a formal football competition this year because of study commitments."

I would've thought you'd need to be a registered player to play with the Taipans.:confused:

Even if he turns out to be a dud, good on the Swans for thinking outside the square.
Has the size and given his volleyball and basketball background he obviously has some movement and motor skills and having gone to a rugby school the oval ball won't be totally foreign.

He obviously did OK in his 3 games as he was named in the original Qld U18 squad for 2007.
http://www.bushies.org/2007news-u18-state-squad.htm

cheers....the powder's helping

After 6 months of secret training sessions, we have activated a little known and rarly used clause to sign a skyscraping Brisbane teenager QUOTE]

I'm sure you will find president eddie boner will talk to the afl to get that changed in the future.

I'm sure he will. Not to mention his discontent towards the club about the extra money in our salary cap (cost of living allowance). He gets that in every chance he has.

Does anyone know alot about him?
I assume he will either play ruck, forward or defense. Am I right?

He will be groomed as a ruckman. At his height (205cm), there's no chance of him playing in defence. Depending on his mobility, stints up forward may be on the cards. But he is primarily going to be a ruckman.

Do we really need to recruit more ruckmen?
Besides Everitt and Jolly, we already have: White, Currie, Rowe, Playfair (is tall enough), Doyle and now Orreal.

Everyone is always worried if we have enough ruckmen, we have 8, thats enough.

Do we really need to recruit more ruckmen?
Besides Everitt and Jolly, we already have: White, Currie, Rowe, Playfair (is tall enough), Doyle and now Orreal.

Everyone is always worried if we have enough ruckmen, we have 8, thats enough.

It's definetely worth a punt. he is 205cm and athletic so could be anything. (could be nothing too). Playfair and White aren't ruckmen, Doyle is injury prone and Currie and Rowe may not come on so we have to prepare for life after Spida (1-2 years) and Jolly (4plus).

It's definetely worth a punt. he is 205cm and athletic so could be anything. (could be nothing too). Playfair and White aren't ruckmen, Doyle is injury prone and Currie and Rowe may not come on so we have to prepare for life after Spida (1-2 years) and Jolly (4plus).

exactly....at this stage we have two ruckmen plus doyle

currie is certainly coming along, by all reports, but rowe seems to have been lucky to escape delisting, and playfair, like LRT and goodesy, is a pinch-hitter at best
and white must be kept away from the ruck, he is going to be a superstar forward, i have little doubt about that at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah sorry mate..we are all shattered.

i'm not at all unhappy about doyle.....the bloke CAN play, he's a decent tap ruck and certainly a triffic option as a marking forward
he's just physically fragile...actually, uber fragile is probly more accurate
but as i've said many times elsewhere, if he somehow manages to survive a preseason and get some game time, he's a very good player

it IS a big if....

i'm not at all unhappy about doyle.....the bloke CAN play, he's a decent tap ruck and certainly a triffic option as a marking forward
he's just physically fragile...actually, uber fragile is probly more accurate
but as i've said many times elsewhere, if he somehow manages to survive a preseason and get some game time, he's a very good player

it IS a big if....

Spot on Rancid, he certainly can play. But unfortunately, it isn't just a big if, it's a gigantic if.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Convert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back