Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

You gotta wonder how or why Channel 7 continually play dumb with their shithouse commentators and 'personalities'. I mean, I have never EVER heard a positive word spoken IRL, or typed on this forum about Hamish McLachlan, Basil, or many of the other dimwits.

Surely they get barrage after barrage of negative feedback via social media or otherwise every time they air the footy or other major sporting events and they just keep giving these tryhard losers more prime screentime.

Probably targeting the audience, have a think about the general population watches Footy.

Another problem is that their voices aren't suited for commentary.

Listening to Quarters he has the voice that builds at the right times while Cameron Ling's got a very dry and bland voice.

Using his introduction against him, Spud would talk a glass eye to sleep.

2 young media people who I think should go to AFL commentary are, from EON, Damian Watson and, from the world of Greyhound Racing, James Van De Maat.

Richo's voice isn't cut out for commentary and interviewing.

I think Richo is quite good tbh.

Would actually love it if he adds a bit more personality to his calls.

He made a great point as a player when the goal posts increased in legenth and BT acted like a flog and shut down an interesting player point

I found myself watching the NRL Friday night on Fox League and it was an okay game up on the Gold Coast, and I found myself thinking towards the end, wow the commentary is good! It didn't have a noticeable impact that entire time, it was not over the top, or talking about their personal lives, it wasn't so dull that it made me want to press mute...it was quality! It's amazing how simply calling the game in front of you, raising your voice with excitement when it is only necessary and not being afraid of silence (the biggest issue with AFL commentary), can lead to a great viewing experience. The AFL boys club really lets itself down.

Eddie represents all that is wrong with AFL media. He is an endless self promoter and totally conflicted. Nobody has mentioned McGuire Media whereby Eddie has won contracts for just being Eddie. He waffles on about his selfless commitment to football, yet I would guess he earns a large part of his income from AFL and us supporters. I also find his commentating style grating and self serving. He and Dermie turn football into a gabfest about themselves. By the way Eddie teaching Travis Cloke to kick after a game was priceless - what was Buckley thinking?
That's more like it, hate for the hell of it! Bring it

Add Mark Robinson to the list. I reckon he would be an ok bloke. But ffs how is he is the chief football writter when he writes like a 15 year old c grade English student?

Now he is on tv and radio all the bloody time. Its cringe worthy to watch/listen to him lick some of the players/coaches asses live on tv/radio. Its like seeing that kid in the playground doing anything he can to hang out with the cool kids and thinking he is one of the boys.

Sometimes he will talk about a game and you will think ffs have you been in the bar all day and not even watched the game? Yet he is pushed in our face and we are expected to value his opinion.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Another problem is that their voices aren't suited for commentary.

Listening to Quarters he has the voice that builds at the right times while Cameron Ling's got a very dry and bland voice.

Using his introduction against him, Spud would talk a glass eye to sleep.

2 young media people who I think should go to AFL commentary are, from EON, Damian Watson and, from the world of Greyhound Racing, James Van De Maat.

I dont think Cameron Ling has a long future in the media. He is bland, boring and never has an opinion - a fence sitter who could never take a position against "the boys". He should look at coaching sooner rather than later, although frankly I dont think he has enough depth of character to be a genuinely good coach.

Add Mark Robinson to the list. I reckon he would be an ok bloke. But ffs how is he is the chief football writter when he writes like a 15 year old c grade English student?

Now he is on tv and radio all the bloody time. Its cringe worthy to watch/listen to him lick some of the players/coaches asses live on tv/radio. Its like seeing that kid in the playground doing anything he can to hang out with the cool kids and thinking he is one of the boys.

Sometimes he will talk about a game and you will think ffs have you been in the bar all day and not even watched the game? Yet he is pushed in our face and we are expected to value his opinion.

I agree - more importantly News Corp have a big decision to make on Robinson- the Herald Sun is almost becoming an also ran in AFL media field and they need somebody charimatic, intelligent and with a new edge to right the ship. If it werent for Supercoach assisting in "hanging on" to patronage they be really in trouble.

Brian Taylor could actually be a good commentator if he spent less time talking shit with the other idiots in the box who think they are more interesting than the game in progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brian Taylor could actually be a good commentator if he spent less time talking shit with the other idiots in the box who think they are more interesting than the game in progress.
Agree him, Darcy and Richo end half their time talking about each other and not the game.

Shits me to tears

Predicting a breakout '17 for all da forced personalties below.

Hutchi
Maddern
Garry Liern
Hmac
Darcy
Malloy/The entire happy bar skit thing
Dermi
Dunstall
Goddard

The problem with AFL on TV is that you have 3 (or more) 'special comments' ex-player boys club commentators and only 1, if any, who actually know the players and care about the game more than themselves.

Imo so much time is wasted talking about when they were playing, how they played, how great they were, and what they did on Sunday night, rather than having standards that require them to watch games, to get to know about players outside of the Dangerfield, Heppell, Fyfe, Hodge, Smitchell, Buddy, Nic Nat, Bontempelli.

Dial back the ex-players to a huge extent, and as a novel idea have a single 'special comments' commentator to keep them as special comments. I always enjoy radio commentary compared to the TV commentary because on the radio they call the game, they explain tactics, who is going well, compared to TV where I predominantly hear self promotion, more self promotion, clear favouritism of certain clubs and players, and lack of knowledge about form, players etc.

Adam Papalia is an example of what I particularly appreciate. He has studied broadcasting and knows his stuff. More of this, less of the other.

Imagine how low the SEN breakfast ratings would have been if they had teamed Hirdy with Lyon.

We can only hope with the success of the AFLW there will be changes to the commentary style so that it isn't catering for bogans who love to hear about the good old days at the tunnel.

Surprised Danny Frawley hasn't been acknowledged for being both a terrible coach and commentator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Personalities: Forced Upon Us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back