footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Here is my description of what Australian Rules looks like under the Demitriou Mclachlan and this new bloke. Regime.

This is today 14/09/2024 Watching the Lions pathetic attempt to stay in close range during the first half.

And last night night watching a near miss.

So description for opinions please.
I have never seen so many "ball ups" stoppages I guess we're supposed to call it. And Rugby wrestling , and of course the ruling free kick that has besmirched this sport at the highest level and almost ruined it for 20 years.

But don't the AFL or someone need to re organise the woeful grey rule regime, that free kicks havd become the two free shots in the key like Basketball The flow is dead.
My exitement last night was because my team was playing.

The game is very dodgy, and hell can't the AFL stop the free kick regime everyone suffers from.

It ruins the game

Any way I give up.
My mob nearly won but Port and us, all got crucified by very strict over kill umpires!

Scores from frees is getting really dangerous. I guess I better givein to the ruin and , well it ain't footy.

I'm pretty sure I've seen stats there was a lot more stoppages in the good old days. Difference is the umpire used to just grab the ball and immediately chuck it in the air. Now they have to get their 10 seconds of TV time, talk to the rucks, wait for them to get in position. Sometimes they'll stop to talk to the midfielders or something telling them not to hold

I'm pretty sure I've seen stats there was a lot more stoppages in the good old days. Difference is the umpire used to just grab the ball and immediately chuck it in the air. Now they have to get their 10 seconds of TV time, talk to the rucks, wait for them to get in position. Sometimes they'll stop to talk to the midfielders or something telling them not to hold
"Third man up" rule ruined it, worst rule ever

Good topic because it segues into one of my favourite rants:

Remove Holding the Ball as a rule. The reward for the tackler is his team now has a 50/50 shot at possession and they stopped the oppo attacking play.

At the moment players are shit-scared (and rightfully so) to get caught HTB which means so many possessions aren't about attacking but rather just avoiding getting HTB. They just give dump handballs to a bloke under similar pressure who then has to do the same.

Without HTB worst case they get tackled anyway and ball gets blocked in. Throw up but we didn't waste 30 seconds of footy with 3 or 4 blokes giving shit handballs under pressure. Or what will happen often is the bloke with the footy with this new found leniency in HTB can make an attacking play without fear of getting tackled leading to an oppo free kick. It will result in much more attacking play.

But of course rewarding defence so much leads to tighter contests and more bums on seats/eyes on screens for longer and therefore more cash for the AFL.

Good topic because it segues into one of my favourite rants:

Remove Holding the Ball as a rule. The reward for the tackler is his team now has a 50/50 shot at possession and they stopped the oppo attacking play.

At the moment players are shit-scared (and rightfully so) to get caught HTB which means so many possessions aren't about attacking but rather just avoiding getting HTB. They just give dump handballs to a bloke under similar pressure who then has to do the same.

Without HTB worst case they get tackled anyway and ball gets blocked in. Throw up but we didn't waste 30 seconds of footy with 3 or 4 blokes giving shit handballs under pressure. Or what will happen often is the bloke with the footy with this new found leniency in HTB can make an attacking play without fear of getting tackled leading to an oppo free kick. It will result in much more attacking play.

But of course rewarding defence so much leads to tighter contests and more bums on seats/eyes on screens for longer and therefore more cash for the AFL.

If there was no punishment for getting caught with the ball, we'd have 1000 ball ups a game.

If there was no punishment for getting caught with the ball, we'd have 1000 ball ups a game.
There is punishment. You go from having possession to only a 50/50 chance of getting possession.

There wouldnt be that many because an attacking play would create more overlaps so less tackles and even if there was at least the tackle and ball up happens straight away rather than 30 seconds of shit play preceding the ball up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back