Forgotten footy shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not too many Footy programs stand the test of time. TFS, Talking Footy, and TSFS aside, there haven't been too many that were stuck with for more than a couple of years.

A few that spring to mind are Just Footy (1997) which became Just AFL from 1998-2001 on Ch7, hosted by Wayne Carey, with guest work from Wayne Campbell and Aussie Jones. Anthony Hudson used to have a guest role in '97 from memory, and they had these two computer animated characters - Spit and Chips - who talked footy. Carey was very slick as host. Very good TV talent.

Another is Totally Footy, on Ch10 in 2002, with a female host and a more NSW/QLD centric bias from what I recall. Disappeared off the map in record time. Used to appear just before the Saturday arvo game, and was replaced by Beyond the Boundary (similar format).

Ch7 had a ripper in 2002 with The Club, looking at the made for TV Hammerheads playing in the WRFL in Victoria. LOVED that show. Can still remember some of the players - Macca, who was the star player in the long sleeves, Jaco (midfield), Swanny (half back), Quanny (little guy, the Milne of the side, you could say), the Fridge (big unit who played mostly reserves), Podge (Irish import) and the Rock. Debbie Lee, the female footballer, tried out for the side and there was serious debate as to whether or not she'd be allowed to play. Coached by David Rhys-Jones, managed by Greg Miller, president was Slamming Sam, and the host was Hutchy. Danny Southern, Rene Kink and Luke Ball's mum, Jenny, all ran for the coaching spot. Phil Cleary was Kekovich's rival in the race for presidency.

Any memories or YouTubes of these shows, or other like shows?

What about AFL Squadron the Show Gary Lyon Hosted in the Early 90's on Saturday Morning.

Youtube Vids:

[YOUTUBE]yWM2YdIv9qc[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE]ZbUd0C5dO4A&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The ABC use to have a League team show back in the 90's. Cannot think of the name of it.
Stan Alves was on it and I think Crackers Keenan as well, was hosted by a sheila whose name eludes me at this point in time.

I am pretty sure the song "Two Princes" by the "Spin Doctors" was the music for the opening credits.

Ch7 had a ripper in 2002 with The Club, looking at the made for TV Hammerheads playing in the WRFL in Victoria. LOVED that show. Can still remember some of the players - Macca, who was the star player in the long sleeves, Jaco (midfield), Swanny (half back), Quanny (little guy, the Milne of the side, you could say), the Fridge (big unit who played mostly reserves), Podge (Irish import) and the Rock. Debbie Lee, the female footballer, tried out for the side and there was serious debate as to whether or not she'd be allowed to play. Coached by David Rhys-Jones, managed by Greg Miller, president was Slamming Sam, and the host was Hutchy. Danny Southern, Rene Kink and Luke Ball's mum, Jenny, all ran for the coaching spot. Phil Cleary was Kekovich's rival in the race for presidency.

I wrote in to apply when they had a "mid-season draft" calling for new players and got a letter back from Greg Miller telling me I didn't get picked.

Good thing too, couldn't play for shit even at that age - would have been a debacle.

Loved the Club. Those wasn't Hutchy the Host?

What was the one on Channel 7 that had Bruce,Walls and Caro on Monday Night in the 90's?

Talking Footy, don't know how anybody couldn't remember that, they used to play that stupid "Tallllllllking Foooooty" music at the beginning of the show, when they went to an advert, when they came back from an advert, when they flashed up graphics and then of course at the end of the show :p was quite annoying.

The Winners

Drew Morphet hosted it back in the 1980s. The show was of the highlights of the days action

used to be a great show, get home from the game and put either this or The Big League with Peter Landy on to watch the highlights.
Another show, League Teams with Dyer, Richards and Bobby Davis was on when i was a real little kid.

I was once on the Kelloggs Junior Supporters Club with Kevin Bartlett in the early 80's.

The ABC use to have a League team show back in the 90's. Cannot think of the name of it.
Stan Alves was on it and I think Crackers Keenan as well, was hosted by a sheila whose name eludes me at this point in time.

I am pretty sure the song "Two Princes" by the "Spin Doctors" was the music for the opening credits.

I think It was called Balls Up or something of that nature because my old man worked for the ABC and he talked about directing a footy themed show with Stan Alves.

I think It was called Balls Up or something of that nature because my old man worked for the ABC and he talked about directing a footy themed show with Stan Alves.

IIRC it was a part Melbourne based part Sydney based show (AFL panel in Melbourne, pretty sure former umpire Glenn James was also amongst them) because they had a RL component to it as well. I think it was followed by the previous day's NSWRL match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking Footy, don't know how anybody couldn't remember that, they used to play that stupid "Tallllllllking Foooooty" music at the beginning of the show, when they went to an advert, when they came back from an advert, when they flashed up graphics and then of course at the end of the show :p was quite annoying.

Easy I never watched it as I was not as Heavily in to Footy Then

Football Inquest. Hosted by Mike Williamson? I think that was Ch 7 in the 60's? Vaguely remember Reg Hickey being a panelist.

There was a ABC show that had Chicken Smallhorn and Thorold Merrett amongst others on it about the same era. Might have been hosted by Harry Beitzel, can't remember its name.

The Winners

Drew Morphet hosted it back in the 1980s. The show was of the highlights of the days action

The Winners :thumbsu::thumbsu: Wasn't that the time that ABC did the footy as 7 was out of contract? Was soo good to watch whoever was playing the Swannies on a Sunday without an Ad break.

I also used to like listening to Jim, Piggy and Roo Boy in the '90's. It would air on Fridays and be replayed on Saturdays. I believe also on Fox Footy. Was good for a laugh.

and my all time favourite has to be the Footy Panel on Sunday mornings World of Sport with Lou and Jack handing out the hams and choccies. Believe if you went in there for whatever sport you were part of the amber fluid was flowing and a good time was had by all.

p.s. to previous post.

I used to like watching the teams show on OPTUS way back. Mark Harvey, John Barnes were on the panel and were velly velly funny. Came on way before the Footy Show started so didn't have to stay up and watch it if I didn't feel like. Come to think of it, I "banned" the footy show mid 2001.

there was a pretty average show on around the same time as the club on channel 7 called live and kicking i believe... it wasnt very memorable but im pretty sure jason dunstall was on it???

the club was awesome, anyone know if you can get it on dvd or does anyone have it recorded? id love to watch it again

The Winners :thumbsu::thumbsu: Wasn't that the time that ABC did the footy as 7 was out of contract?

the winners was on for many years - the ABC version of CH7 sat night replay, so country folk with one channel (ABC) could watch the footy too. was a good show compared to CH7 as they usually showed the best quarter of the selected games, as opposed to just the last qtr like CH7 did.

1987 saw CH7 drop the footy (a sydney decision) and ABC picked up the rights from broadcom for just a few bucks - and yeah great season for watching footy, then CH7 woke up and bought the rights again - but the word exclusive made its way into contracts and "the winners" was dead. but country folk also had a few more stations by then.

Pretty sure "The Club" was on in 2001, no 2002.

"The Game" in 2000-01, on Seven, right before the Friday Night game or whatever was the first game of the round.

"The Bounce", last year, lol

"Seven's Match of the Round" in 2002... was like Footy Flashbacks showing a classic game featuring teams that were playing eachother in the current round of that year, hosted by Rex Hunt... was on late on Saturday Nights, but was only on a handful of times... was not shown when another sport, like tennis, got live coverage in that timeslot

"AFL Today" - Early 90s, 90 minutes Saturday Night highlights show in the early 90s... went on for another hour when showing a Saturday afternoon final, in full. Usually hosted by Bruce with Palmer's Punchlines at the end. Only issue was that it was on at 6pm with the news bumped up to 5:30pm, so you had to avoid the news report beforehand to avoid results... they never warned you, and they would actually have a promo ad for it at the end of the news' last ad break saying "you know who won, now see how they won, AFL Today, Next"... pffft

there was a pretty average show on around the same time as the club on channel 7 called live and kicking i believe... it wasnt very memorable but im pretty sure jason dunstall was on it???

the club was awesome, anyone know if you can get it on dvd or does anyone have it recorded? id love to watch it again

Live and Kicking was circa '98, Channel 7 essentially tried to remake TFS by poaching both off and and on screen talent from it. One of the positives of it though was that it pretty much got Dougie Hawkins off our TV screens.

It was pretty ordinary.

Who remembers Cometti Live? Lasted one year in 2002

I remember the theme tune... almost seductive... "Dennis Cometti Live"... :D

Can't remember if it was the same show or a different WA show, but there was one with Grljusich, Hardie, Carvolth and a few others? I can barely remember it except for having to watch so many faces that were perfect for radio, not TV (in particular, Hardie :p).

Four Quarters
I got invited to a kids house when I was 9 or 10 to play Kick to Kick with Wayne Carey in their weekly segment.

Sheedy, Archer and Anthony Stevens were all there too iirc.

Had some story where Sheedy was pretending to be Carey and revealed his treachery by removing a mask but I was too young to really pay attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgotten footy shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back