Forgotten footy shows

Remove this Banner Ad

I've read an interview with Gibbs saying that often the cameras would miss the fights in the early days and they'd get the players to do it again to capture it for the viewers (player mentioned as an example was former Essendon president and then player at Prahran Graeme McMahon!)

I don't think we'll ever see a golden era like what the VFA had in the 1970's and early 1980s. Not only could you get 10's coverage consisting of commentators like Phil Gibbs, Don Hyde, Bill Jacobs, Rex Hunt, Bruce McAvaney, Eddie McGuire, Rob Astbury, Tony Banks (just to name a few), but also players like Fred Cook, Harold Martin, Alf Beus, Phil Cleary. And who could ever forget umpires such as Graeme Marcy...and of course Frank Vergona.

Not too many Footy programs stand the test of time. TFS, Talking Footy, and TSFS aside, there haven't been too many that were stuck with for more than a couple of years.

A few that spring to mind are Just Footy (1997) which became Just AFL from 1998-2001 on Ch7, hosted by Wayne Carey, with guest work from Wayne Campbell and Aussie Jones. Anthony Hudson used to have a guest role in '97 from memory, and they had these two computer animated characters - Spit and Chips - who talked footy. Carey was very slick as host. Very good TV talent.

Another is Totally Footy, on Ch10 in 2002, with a female host and a more NSW/QLD centric bias from what I recall. Disappeared off the map in record time. Used to appear just before the Saturday arvo game, and was replaced by Beyond the Boundary (similar format).

Ch7 had a ripper in 2002 with The Club, looking at the made for TV Hammerheads playing in the WRFL in Victoria. LOVED that show. Can still remember some of the players - Macca, who was the star player in the long sleeves, Jaco (midfield), Swanny (half back), Quanny (little guy, the Milne of the side, you could say), the Fridge (big unit who played mostly reserves), Podge (Irish import) and the Rock. Debbie Lee, the female footballer, tried out for the side and there was serious debate as to whether or not she'd be allowed to play. Coached by David Rhys-Jones, managed by Greg Miller, president was Slamming Sam, and the host was Hutchy. Danny Southern, Rene Kink and Luke Ball's mum, Jenny, all ran for the coaching spot. Phil Cleary was Kekovich's rival in the race for presidency.

Any memories or YouTubes of these shows, or other like shows?
Paul from Big brother (think he was in it the year fitzy was) was also on the club, he was chicken if i recall.

I used to love the old ABC Footy Panel from th early 70's - Geoff Leek, Chicken Smallhorn, Tony Ongarello, Doug Heywood. I think Bruce Andrew was also on it before he went to 7.

It was serious - the WOS panel usedt o degenerate into the boys own club - for every funny moment there was ten minutes of rather boring dross.

Doug Heywood was an amazing commentator - the best analogy I can think of is imagine David Attenborough doing the football. Serious, reserved, understated - but you just knew he didn't mind a bit of the biff when it happened.

Coca-Cola Footy Squadron on Seven was the best. I remember all the kids' memberships used to be Squadron memberships, good times.

Coca-Cola Footy Squadron on Seven was the best. I remember all the kids' memberships used to be Squadron memberships, good times.

I still have my Membership Card somewhere in my room

Ch7 had a ripper in 2002 with The Club, looking at the made for TV Hammerheads playing in the WRFL in Victoria. LOVED that show. Can still remember some of the players - Macca, who was the star player in the long sleeves, Jaco (midfield), Swanny (half back), Quanny (little guy, the Milne of the side, you could say), the Fridge (big unit who played mostly reserves), Podge (Irish import) and the Rock. Debbie Lee, the female footballer, tried out for the side and there was serious debate as to whether or not she'd be allowed to play. Coached by David Rhys-Jones, managed by Greg Miller, president was Slamming Sam, and the host was Hutchy. Danny Southern, Rene Kink and Luke Ball's mum, Jenny, all ran for the coaching spot. Phil Cleary was Kekovich's rival in the race for presidency.

Any memories or YouTubes of these shows, or other like shows?

all i can remember of that show was the hot blonde who was on it, i reckon she was the "Chiko Roll" chick :thumbsu:

Whatever happened to Neil Brooks? Did he belt somebody or am I just imaginging that?

I was working at Channel 7 as a sound engineer when he was the golden boy in Perth with his own show etc. Hung out with 'personalities' that you could say Ben Cousins hung out with for a certain period of time which the network knew about but didn't act on. He then said something in an interview with one of those Ralph type mags where he said the biggest thing he was looking forward to about the Sydney Olympics was getting on the piss, this got him sacked from 7.

He then went from 95kg to around 150kg and played in a band around Perth before he was bankrupt and cops found a dope plant at his house. He left WA and hasn't been back but he's been bankrupt again and started some companies that both went bust.

Twat of the highest order and got what he deserved :thumbsu:

Ch7 had a ripper in 2002 with The Club, looking at the made for TV Hammerheads playing in the WRFL in Victoria. LOVED that show. Can still remember some of the players - Macca, who was the star player in the long sleeves, Jaco (midfield), Swanny (half back), Quanny (little guy, the Milne of the side, you could say), the Fridge (big unit who played mostly reserves), Podge (Irish import) and the Rock.

Was this Dane Swan? I remember him playing in the WRFL.

Football Inquest. Hosted by Mike Williamson? I think that was Ch 7 in the 60's? Vaguely remember Reg Hickey being a panelist.

There was a ABC show that had Chicken Smallhorn and Thorold Merrett amongst others on it about the same era. Might have been hosted by Harry Beitzel, can't remember its name.

Football Inquest was originally called Pelaco Inquest. Started in about 1958, I believe.

Also in the late 50s, Channel 7 did the last quarter live of one game a week. Did all clubs at some stage of the season, not just the "best" games.

Wasn't there footy show called Kevin Dennis...something? Pretty sure that was in the 60s. Might have been Football Inquest re-named again, although I think it was shown on Friday nights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows Show, back before Port came in.

Not bad. Bit biased though, for whatever reason.

Became Footy Plus when Port came in - often the lead in to the Saturday afternoon game. With the show shot in the old SAS7 studios at Gilberton for an SA only audience, naturally it was pretty much all Crows/Port related.

When 7 lost the rights in 2002, the show got axed, and with SAS at Hindmarsh now, they no longer have the studio size for a show like that.

The creator of The Crows Show/Footy Plus went on to coordinate 7's Sydney Olympic coverage from memory.

What was the show on Ch 7 that made a comeback in the 90s for a brief period that had the old timers talking footy like they did the old days? I remember something about monkey mascots representing them or something like that.

I totally forgot about any show Carey did. Just footy? Was that a 30min show? What time, day and what was it like?

I wrote in to apply when they had a "mid-season draft" calling for new players and got a letter back from Greg Miller telling me I didn't get picked.

Good thing too, couldn't play for shit even at that age - would have been a debacle.

Found a wonky scan of it which is still on my computer for some reason.

sevenl.jpg

I was working at Channel 7 as a sound engineer when he was the golden boy in Perth with his own show etc. Hung out with 'personalities' that you could say Ben Cousins hung out with for a certain period of time which the network knew about but didn't act on. He then said something in an interview with one of those Ralph type mags where he said the biggest thing he was looking forward to about the Sydney Olympics was getting on the piss, this got him sacked from 7.

He then went from 95kg to around 150kg and played in a band around Perth before he was bankrupt and cops found a dope plant at his house. He left WA and hasn't been back but he's been bankrupt again and started some companies that both went bust.

Twat of the highest order and got what he deserved :thumbsu:

Dead set mate! He also changed his name to Nelson Laurent and became a scam artist in the US and Europe. Today Tonight caught him in the act last year, was absolute gold!

Apparently he's now busking in London! :D

The one hosted by Garry Lyon?

My only gripe with it was that it was on so early on a Sunday morning, 7:45am.
By the time I was 10, I started to sleep in a bit and would often miss it.

Footy Fever aired on pay tv (galaxy?) around 1995.

I have a tape of the episode I was in the crowd, filmed at Melbourne central.
The show was hosted by Dermie and featured regular panellists from the old club 10 stable of stars, kekavich was their Sammy Newman and Rus Gilbert was their Trev Marmalade.

Not a bad show, arguably better talent than TFS, but didn't reach a very wide audience as pay tv was in its infancy in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgotten footy shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back