Fort Caruso - who thinks we should draft him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lidge

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Who thinks we should draft Fortunato 'Fort' Caruso? With a name like that, a handy addition to the list to follow the departure of Saverio Rocca.

FYI - Dual TAC U18 League best & fairest winner. Best player for his losing side in the TAC grand final last weekend.

Short. Decent pace, and a decent kick (50m on both sides). Out & out ball magnet. Also a goal kicker.

Not invited to draft camp or involved in state screening. Could easily slip off the radar. Lack of height a likely deterrent to recruitment staff who don't like taking risks.

We've had a good record with short people over the years. Rock, Bell & Harvey.

I'd be happy if we spent either 3rd or 4th round pick on him.

Thoughts?

Big fan of his, if he is around for a late draft pick we should pick him up. IF not a rookie list, too good of a player not to be on an AFL list.

Lidge said:
Who thinks we should draft Fortunato 'Fort' Caruso? With a name like that, a handy addition to the list to follow the departure of Saverio Rocca.

FYI - Dual TAC U18 League best & fairest winner. Best player for his losing side in the TAC grand final last weekend.

Short. Decent pace, and a decent kick (50m on both sides). Out & out ball magnet. Also a goal kicker.

Not invited to draft camp or involved in state screening. Could easily slip off the radar. Lack of height a likely deterrent to recruitment staff who don't like taking risks.

We've had a good record with short people over the years. Rock, Bell & Harvey.

I'd be happy if we spent either 3rd or 4th round pick on him.

Thoughts?

One Word To Describe Fort - GUN;) - Deserves a chance and id love to see him in the red and black but would be happy to see him go anywhere

He would of beaten you a few times jimmy when he was playing at fawkner park. i think we should take a gamble on him we have taken worse gambles in the past that havent paid off. eg dylan smith at pick 6 n ash watson at pick 14

Star said:
Seems to be the only issue, a major one at that

You'd have to question why there hasn't been more discussion about him

Dunno, you'd think back to back Morrish medals would have your name up in lights.

I suppose most of us without doing a google search couldn't name 10 players who will get drafted in the top 40. There's a few high profile names like Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Sellar, Thorp etc who we've all heard of. But the list drops off pretty quickly of memorable names. And most punters are deadset keen on talls or KKPs

I'd rather take a natural gun footballer over a tall gun athlete with potential anyday.

I have seen Fort play many times and even as a young junior he was a ball magnet. Over the last 2 years I have seen him play the odd quarter or two at the Calder Cannons. His form this year did not seem as good as last year but he was heavily tagged. The only way to stop him was to rotate taggers on him as hardly any other kid could stay with him. He is extremely good around the goals.

He just knows where the ball is, he can be scouting a pack then all of a sudden he has zoomed in, picked up the ball and he's off. He is not over quick but has the knack of getting clear. Whether he would be able to do this at AFL or VFL level is the unknown as it doesn't seem that he will get any taller and you would not want to bulk him up too much.

I would love to see him get drafted and I think he will, but probably as a rookie. This will let a club play him in the VFL to see how he measures up. I hope he does as he is a great kid and has worked hard. His older brother plays at Coburg and plays mainly in the reserves but has had a few senior games. If only Fort could have the growth spurt his brother had at about 16 he would be a certainty.

kelman said:
He is so short and Rodan also won b2b Morrish.

He is about 170cm but he is very good....at U18.

Rookie.

Fair point on Rodan.

But Libba who was less skilled and a similair size, won himself a Morrish & Gardiner before going on to win a Brownlow.

I just reckon he's worth a punt. Too good of a prospect to be allowed to go to the rookie draft IMHO.

Seems l am the only one to say no on the poll, so thought l better own up to it. We should certainly not consider him with any of our top 5 picks, plenty of quality with much more scope for improvement than Fort for mine.

Wrath

Played on him everytime we played Faulkner Park probably 6 times over the few years and we don't need him - way too short, not a good as you think alot of problems in his game i wouldn't take him personally

If he's geting drafted this year i should b top 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

silkykanga said:
Played on him everytime we played Faulkner Park probably 6 times over the few years and we don't need him - way too short, not a good as you think alot of problems in his game i wouldn't take him personally

If he's geting drafted this year i should b top 10

And where are you playing sk?

Great player but a bit of a risk given his height - what is the difference between Fort and Jeremy Clayton?

Contra Mundum said:
Great player but a bit of a risk given his height - what is the difference between Fort and Jeremy Clayton?
Having watched the U18 GF, I'd say Caruso looks a quicker player than Clayton.

I have played and trained with him and he deserves to make it on to an AFL list whether it be in the draft or as a rookie. His work ethic is brillant. Works hard at training to improve himself everyweek and is a top bloke. Has the skills and qualities to make it to AFL. Would be a Brent Harvey type player, so i dont see why North Melbourne or any other club wouldnt be tempted.

ive hung up the boots lol - nah he is an ok player but i really think he is not big enough better players out there - not doubting he's a good bloke but we have better oppurtunities to get hold of a better player

Remove this Banner Ad

Fort Caruso - who thinks we should draft him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back