Fourth Position

Remove this Banner Ad

They hit their straps against Carlton, but flounced about against Hawthorn the week before. They are far too wishy-washy for mine. They're a good team, but I don't think they're a great team.

Hawthorn are playing pretty well at the moment and that was one of the games of the season. The teams we want them to lose against (apart from us) are Port, Ade, Sydney, North, Ess ... they are all extremely ordinary, even if some of them are away games for the Dogs.

Hawthorn are playing pretty well at the moment and that was one of the games of the season. The teams we want them to lose against (apart from us) are Port, Ade, Sydney, North, Ess ... they are all extremely ordinary, even if some of them are away games for the Dogs.
Yeah, I'm not saying they can't dominate the latter half of the season, but for mine they have this strange tendency of bottling games they should win. They did it against Essendon this year, and were the first team to give the Eagles a victory away from home in about 20 games, a victory that was so unlikely most pundits were tipping the Eagles to be the big risers this year.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a surprise game or two that they should win easily. Port at Marrarra, Adelaide away, even us at Etihad, they're not 'gimmes'.

Rocket is toying with the idea of leaving hall and maybe one other player out because of lingering ankle injuries.

I think port will give it a crack and and the dishlickers are no certainties to win.

we don't have to worry about what the dishlickers are doing if we win our next 7 games!!

that said not toally convinced our midfield is up to carrying us to the required number of wins to secure 4th spot.

We are more potent when Pav is up forward 70% of time.

They hit their straps against Carlton, but flounced about against Hawthorn the week before. They are far too wishy-washy for mine. They're a good team, but I don't think they're a great team.

They aren't playing anywhere near as well as they were last year. Lake's form has been their saviour the last 5 rounds.

Their drive from defense has been buoyed by Lake's form and not the team. We need to have 2 talls deep in the forward line. Which is doable as we only need Tarrant to stay on Hall. McPharlin and Pavlich would give the Dogs a headache.

Yeah, the only game remaining I'd rate us as having a less than even chance of winning is against Hawthorn, because we don't play Tasmania well, and they are a very good team.

I'm not confident against the Dogs, but I reckon we're in with a chance.

Hall would be back for the Freo game I think, even if not at 100% ... they know it will define their season and premiership hopes. Although I guess Taz vs Richmond and Riewoldt is probably a similar scenario. Be interesting to see how it pans out in a fortnight, certainly will help us if he can't play.

Hall has an ankle injury and is not for 1 or 2 weeks so we may get lucky or it could just be a cover so Hall doesnt have to play in NT.

Yeah I heard he's out for 2 weeks as well. If he does end up missing, that would be crucial for us. As Alfonz said, he'll be back against Freo, they'd miss him too much otherwise.

A fun fact- No team has ever won the week after playing in Darwin... good thing you guys have them the week after:thumbsu:

A real fact - Dogs have won past 2 out of last 3 the week after Darwin. Dogs do a lot of work in heat chambers etc preparing for game and recovery to and from Darwin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree that finishing top 4 is crucial, both to our premiership hopes and to the development of the group. Beating an also-ran 8th team like Carlton or Sydney at Subiaco does not achieve that much. We might then get one final against a decent team like the Dogs the next week, as opposed to the guaranteed 2 and possibly 3 tough games against the likes of Gee-Saints-Pies-Dogs.

Both WC and Freo requested there be no round 22 Derbies because of the physical toll they take on players, the week before finals. Would playing a legitimate contender be a far more bruising encounter than a Derby? Do you think both WC and Freo would request what could possibly be an away game, heading into week 1 of finals, if the physical punishment taken in hard games didn't have more of a negative impact than travel?

It could be argued that the away game in week 2, following what should be a cruisy match vs a non serious contender, could be preferable to a home final after playing in 4 quarters of all out warfare the week before

With top 4 you still need to win week 2, 3 and the GF to win the flag. Finishing outside the top 4 means you need to win one extra game, against far inferior opposition, to win the flag. Not that big a deal.

Sure, the possibility of a bye during week 2 would be great, but who seriously believes that with the top 4 as it is, and Freo probably playing away, that we will win the first weeks match, seriously?

All these people scared of away games, do realise the GF is played at the MCG right? If you want experience for the boys, what better way to get it than playing on the ground where the GF is played? I personally don't think playing the MCG for the first time this year on Grand Final day, would be overly conducive to playing the sort of footy needed to win.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting finishing 5th is better than 4th. Top 4 appears to be a far safer route, just don't all go :wrists: if we drop to fifth after Carlton.

Edit: Man, alot of posts are starting to sound 'We deserve it' esque. Finishing 5th is not all doom and gloom hey.

I think people are being very optimistic if they think the Bulldogs are going to drop a few games against the likes of North or Sydney or Adelaide or whoever on the run home. They started to hit their straps on the weekend, and with that form they will destroy the meagre teams left in their fixture.

The way I see it, we have no chance of holding 4th unless we win one of the away games against Hawthorn or the Dogs (and we'd still have to win all of our other games as well).
Well Alfonz.The crows just rolled the flag favourites.I think the crows will now be in with a bloody big show against the doggies in a few weeks time.

Looking at the fixtures i dont think its impossible that we could sneak into 3rd. not that that really makes any difference but still would be nice.

That loss last week is starting to look very costly....

last thing we need is to finish 5th and come up against a pumped adalaide side in week one of the finals.
4th is now imperative to our chances of advancing into deep september

Remove this Banner Ad

Fourth Position

Remove this Banner Ad

Back