Fox Footy co-host Mark Robinson looks set to leave AFL 360 after 14 years in the hot seat

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion AFL360's problem is not Robbo, its problem is they have too many interviews with players and coaches. I genuinely don't care what Chris Scott has to say, and yet the segment with him takes up around 30 minutes of the Monday show, and then players night with again, players I don't really care about, taking up half the episode.

I like when they have analysts on, or even past players, but not current players or coaches, but so much of the show is devoted to interviewing current day coaches and players all talking about the games they just had.
Agreed. I prefer the analysis and discussion about the footy from people on the outside. The players' night is a hard watch, because while they might be good footy players, a lot aren't particularly eloquent or insightful and interviews done via video call aren't very compelling. And with the coaches on it's often a waste of time because the coaches don't say anything much of substance, having to tow the line all the time, and the hosts are like sycophants around them, ensuring they treat them with kid gloves.

It was already becoming more and more of a "variety hour" - especially the nights robbo wasn't there.
Personally I think the show will now die a slow drawn out death.
Gerard has always toed the AFL line, but "we" (the every day footy fans) cheered on Robbo as he told Gerard that's crap.
Even when Gerard would "rage" for the fans about something like ticket issues, it was so insincere and more a box ticked before he would quickly move on.

The show needs less "causes", peripheral aspects of footy (yes, I'm including AFLW in that, especially in the middle of the finals series), and less robots (coaches and players) sprouting the same lines. Instead that's more of what we've been getting, again especially the nights robbo wasn't there.

Oh, also waaay less Jordan snob Lewis. Like 100% less of that flog.

Interesting that Fox axed him from 360 but wants to retain him for "a number of other panel shows".

I assume they wanted someone more professional and reliable to front what was voted as "the best TV show" by the AFLMA.
The silly thing is that they obviously think it was voted best show despite him, not because of him; it's like when the BBC sacked Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear, they thought the show was the brand.

I don't particularly like either of them but the relationship between the two was strangely compelling, without that what's its USP.

So Robbo confirming on radio this morning that he got 'the sack from 360' and he cracked this shits which was obvious as to why he wasn't on last night.

He says they told him they have other opportunities on the channel lined up for him but who knows if that's actually a thing and they're just saying it to lighten the blow of giving him the ass.

That he doesn't mention Whately at all in that interview (unless the article missed it) seems odd

Reckon Gerard sniped him

It was already becoming more and more of a "variety hour" - especially the nights robbo wasn't there.
Personally I think the show will now die a slow drawn out death.
Gerard has always toed the AFL line, but "we" (the every day footy fans) cheered on Robbo as he told Gerard that's crap.
Even when Gerard would "rage" for the fans about something like ticket issues, it was so insincere and more a box ticked before he would quickly move on.

The show needs less "causes", peripheral aspects of footy (yes, I'm including AFLW in that, especially in the middle of the finals series), and less robots (coaches and players) sprouting the same lines. Instead that's more of what we've been getting, again especially the nights robbo wasn't there.

Oh, also waaay less Jordan snob Lewis. Like 100% less of that flog.

Gerard was never supposed to do that stuff anyway he’s the host - they might be ‘co hosts’ but he’s effectively always been the ringmaster who’s not there to really give an opinion and he doesn’t, for the most part, unless Robbo actually throws back to him ‘what did you think about it?’ Whereas Robbo would give his thoughts on anything, prompted or not.

Gerard was never supposed to do that stuff anyway he’s the host - they might be ‘co hosts’ but he’s effectively always been the ringmaster who’s not there to really give an opinion and he doesn’t, for the most part, unless Robbo actually throws back to him ‘what did you think about it?’ Whereas Robbo would give his thoughts on anything, prompted or not.

Due to the fact Robbo would never read the run down sheet, so he never knew what was coming next.

Seemingly to be replaced by Gary Lyon. FMD! Get some new talent!

Firstly, Lyon is a tool. But he’s also yesterday’s man. He last played a game of footy last century. He’s never coached apart from a few Mickey Mouse games. Time to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemingly to be replaced by Gary Lyon. FMD! Get some new talent!

Firstly, Lyon is a tool. But he’s also yesterday’s man. He last played a game of footy last century. He’s never coached apart from a few Mickey Mouse games. Time to move on.

Gary Lyon is one of the worst choices, though isn't he fairly high up in the chain in the media? If so he likely picked himself to co-host the show.

Make no mistake, it was always Whateley's show, Robbo was hardly even there this year. If he plays his cards right he might get a gig gossiping on the Midweek Tackle about hypothetical trades and other puerile nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Footy co-host Mark Robinson looks set to leave AFL 360 after 14 years in the hot seat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back