Fox Sports gives AFL a mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a comparison on the FTA TV audiences of the first round of both the AFL & NRL this year:

The AFL's FTA audience for the first round was:
(4 Games)
in Ks

709 Friday (Ch 7)
591 Sunday( " )
127 Adelaide ( " )
829 Saturday night (Ch 10)
716 Saturday arvo ( " )
200 Regionals guess

That's 3,072,000 for FTA. They also had 99,000 watching the game in Tasmania on Friday night.
Total 3,171,000

NRL (3 games)

FNF

Game 1 991 K
Regionals 659K
Game 2 524 K
Regionals 348 K
Total 2,522K

Sunday
Titans Game 632 K
Regionals 420
Total 1,056 K

Grand total FTA 3,578,000

AFL 3,171,000

NRL 3,596, 000

Caution - note assumptions, namely that the second NRL on FNF game didn't make the Top 20 regional lists not did the Sunday arvo game I have guessed the figure to be about the same proportion that watched the first FNF game i.e. 659 /991 =66.49% of the capital city totals.

There are late night NRL games shown in the southern states, but these figures are small. But for some reason the OzTam don't include them in the NRL totals but they include the AFL figures for those games shown in the same timeslots in the northern states.

There will be some amounts for the AFL in the Queensland & NSW regionals maybe 200,000. I simply don't know.

The NRL advantage in my view would be in the order of 300,000 to 400,000 on these figures.

BTW it does show the advantage of having games on FTA. A good Pay Tv audience would be 300,000 whereas double that figure would be a poor national FTA figure.

But why did you choose to put it up against Metro figures and not regional figures...with a rough summing up in my head doesnt the NRL add up to 802,000 on the Saturday night?

Because i chose to just do Metro because i didn't have all the figures for regionals and i'm not going to guess numbers or throw some in there a waste of time

Kenny , we are talking about Pay TV.

(The NRL games got 762K BTW not 480K.)

With regard to FTA TV the NRL can get close to 2 million with its two games nationwide of FNF. The AFL can't do that except for the finals.

Yes i know we were talking Paytv
My point is people like Parraeels was jumping up and down and getting excited over how good the paytv figures are for NRL over AFL

the figures are misleading

Remember ,AFL for example have the games on FTA and PayTV and u need to add the figure
Example both Adel v Carl and Bris v Collingwood were both on PayTV and FTA where with the game Melb storm v Manly it was just on Paytv

And the NRL are not getting close to 2 million people on Friday night

For Rus13

Your figures are a waste to much guess work especially for regionals

Plus i think your saying figures for first round of NRL, since then the NRL figures have taken a fall

The Friday nights figures u have alot lower now and don't even get pass the AFL and not even in top100 shows of the week , week 1 NRL figures maybe better then because it was live into melb for that week only

With the Sunday figures the AFL is ahead of the NRL

Kenny

It is true that the NRL FNF has dropped off. It is correct that the first FNF included 238,000 for the Melbourne v WT game. This sort of figure won't be replicated in Melbourne for some time.

However, if you add the regionals the NRl/ARL wins the national FNF battle with AFL hands down.

The Anzac test got more than 1.5 million

In the Regionals, NRL FNF has been a feature of the Top 20 lists for the whole season with the exception of last Friday when the 3 SOO programs pushed it out.

For example on Friday the 12 May 2007 the ratings were:

OzTam -capital cities:

18 SEVEN'S AFL: RND 7: KANGAROOS V ESSENDON Seven 754,000 34,000 425,000 17,000 143,000 135,000
21 NINE'S LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Nine 592,000 S346,000 B246,000
33 NINE'S FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Nine 371,000 S259,000 B112,000
http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11910

Regionals
http://72.52.152.33/~leagueun/forums/showthread.php?t=104804&page=117
17 LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL WIN/NBN 529 Q175 NNSW189 SNSW155 V10

The NRL FNF isn't the only footy to have taken a tumble:

http://72.52.152.33/~leagueun/forums/showthread.php?t=104804&page=116
...Pssst has obtained the national free-to-air and pay TV ratings for the first six rounds that were sent to AFL clubs. Some regional Western Australian and South Australian audience figures are not included.
The figures show West Coast is 26 per cent up on viewers from the same stage last year, while the Magpies have enjoyed a 15 per cent increase on 2006. Sydney (36 per cent) and the Brisbane Lions (38 per cent) have fallen, although scheduling and new broadcast arrangements are thought to have played a major role.

& how vast is the overlap Dr Nick?

Apparently it is in the order of over 1 million people in Qld alone, but thats just from word of mouth, i'd like to see the true figures though.

Btw- there are many variables when comparing NRL and AFL tv ratings, some ratings figures although lower are worth more then they look.

Ch.7 has won almost every Friday night ratings this year thanks largely to the AFL ratings in the southern states, remembering that the figure is averaged over 3 hours and when a game shown in Melbourne goes from 8:30pm-11:30pm the figures aren't too shabby.

Imagine if the games were live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Sports gives AFL a mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back