FoxFooty calling interstate games remotely

Remove this Banner Ad

“The flippant discussion that we watch the game off a TV screen couldn’t be further from the truth. Unfortunately for a whole host of reasons we’re calling from the studios. Not going to get involved in that.”

He doesn’t know what to say while keeping his job.

Radio I can forgive...Subscription TV not a chance.

Where King has it wrong is that the Human Brain can absorb behind the play, the play and in front in a nano-second.

The only way of replicating this off TV is to have three commentaries - Action, Behind vision and Forward.

It would still be grossly inferior..but at least it would justify these 7 person commentary teams.

As if David King wasn't going to justify it. How much better is it for him unless he has a girl in each state he likes to visit. Saved himself hours of time and hassle.

Whatley lapped it up as he is always calling from the studio.

Guess there's no need for David King or other media guys to go to the grand final and other big games either, just always call from the studio

Can we tell them to save money and not use commentators at all?
Crowd sounds would do me. Or make it easier to sync with radio.
or use more locals.

It's actually pretty easy to solve.

Have local commentators in each state.
Exactly. Decentralise instead of having all your commentators, or nearly all based in one place.

I would imagine Papalia and Speed aren’t in Melbourne and some boundary riders as well but that’s about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowd sounds would do me. Or make it easier to sync with radio.

Exactly. Decentralise instead of having all your commentators, or nearly all based in one place.

I would imagine Papalia and Speed aren’t in Melbourne and some boundary riders as well but that’s about it.
What about people who do SANFL, WAFL or AFLW games in those states. Or radio, 5AA or 6PR or ABC etc. Even if they're randoms, who cares?

On another note, if this is a cost cutting measure, I can't imagine this is honestly saving that much money. I wrote somewhere that if Fox Footy was free, I probably wouldn't care. But it's galling paying more and more each year either through Foxtel or Kayo to have them phone it in more and more.

What about people who do SANFL, WAFL or AFLW games in those states. Or radio, 5AA or 6PR or ABC etc. Even if they're randoms, who cares?

There was a Gc v Geelong curtain raiser on the weekend with commentators at the game. Then the main game has them dialling it in. It’s insane.

Whether you like him or not, David King is one of the more serious and in-depth analysts in football. If an AFL club cut corners the way Fox Footy have with commentators, you know he would be tearing them to shreds morning, noon and night for weeks on end in his various different segments!
I understand though that he can’t control what his employer does or call them out in public, even if he doesn’t believe in what they are doing. It’s up to Fox Footy executives to fix this.

Well...Damien Barrett said today 'to grow the game' they should move to Showdown to the MCG...Victorians are too lazy to even think of another state to cover footy now
Has it occurred to him that moving the Grand Final around Australia would do more to "grow the game"?

I understand though that he can’t control what his employer does or call them out in public, even if he doesn’t believe in what they are doing. It’s up to Fox Footy executives to fix this.

Fair point but Caro spoke out against 3AW on FC and both are owned by Nine.

BT posted this on his Instagram near the end of the 2020 season showing what they see…

This is Jack Heverin calling cricket for MMM during the Pandemic.

They absolutely are calling off a tv screen like anyone at home could also do. I could easily have a tv screen on, with an iPad having it on something differently, and a laptop for stats.

King trying to deflect by talking about how he has greater access to stats than the layman. Well that’s nothing new for commentators.

stats that he has access to via the internet i am guessing. unbelievable that he tried that on society

Remove this Banner Ad

FoxFooty calling interstate games remotely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back