Foxtel Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

there is no real good commentators atm. when BT first started commentating he was good but now he has gone backwards and is one of the worst.
they are all meh to me, i couldnt care who does our games.

but ppl on this board take it to a whole new level with their whinging, conspriacy theories and paranoia over some of the commentators its embarassing :oops:

OK, we all love to bitch and moan about the Foxtel commentary team. Yes, we all hate Dwayne Russell (and yes, he hates the Crows). Having him share the box with Roos & Lynch is pretty close to the definition of a nightmare scenario for most Crows fans.

But what do Fox need to do to balance things up?

I'm thinking not much. They just need to find a commentator from SA who is prepared to support both South Australian teams, against the other 16 opponents.

Take Glen Jakovich as an example. He's barely coherent and can't construct a sentence with more than 3 words without losing his train of thought, but he backs both of the WA sides to the hilt. He played for West Coast, but you wouldn't know it to hear him calling a Fremantle game (Derbies excluded). For him, Freo are "the other WA team", but he calls their games with passion because they're from his home state of WA.

On the other hand, Fox's only regular SA-based commentator is Dwayne Russell, who is very much pro-Port and anti-Adelaide, even when calling an Adelaide vs Vic (or Adelaide vs Qld) game. Sorry Fox, but that's not good enough. You need to find someone who is prepared to back both SA teams to the hilt, only showing their true colours during the Showdowns.

Who could/should Fox target, in order to bring a bit of balance to their commentary team as far as Adelaide fans are concerned?
SA ratings are insignificant to them so this directly impacts the instructions the producers give to the crew in how to approach the game. Some are better at it than others, the bad ones like Paul Roos come across as facist towards us.

Yeah I've only just starting watching Foxtel and I really can't believe how anti-crows he is...it's not even disguised a little bit...I'm just waiting for him to spit on the ground after everytime he says the word 'crows'

Eh, it's not so bad listening to Russell this year since the Crows are winning.

Tony Shaw is another foxtel guy the Crows get with whom I don't think is all that great. Do enjoy Harley and Healy and have no problem with Lynch. If they had a 3 man team of Russell, Healy and then had Lynch or Dermo as the 3rd guy then I'd be OK with that. No Roos or Shaw, once you get 2 or 3 guys in the box with their biases it gets a bit much.

Tony Shaw is miles better than Roos or Russell

There is literally no media talent in SA in the sporting world, how else would you explain Rowe and Cornes still being on air.

A half coherent ex footballer would make a killing in this market.

The best of the bunch is actually Bone McDermott. He was on Fox Footy mk 1.

Nathan Bassett would be fantastic, but he has bigger fish to fry. So too Josh Francou.

I'm pretty neutral on Dwayne. Let's not forget both him and Matthew Campbell are South Australian, but whether that is something to be proud of is a matter of opinion.

Port Adelaide isn't a part of South Australia...it's a swamp land that happens to be off the coast of Adelaide...the people there speak a whole other language called 'bogan' and seem to hang around a landmark place called Centrelink which seems to be there spiritual home....

Dermott is a gun, he's one of the few commentators who has on field credibility.

5 day and 5 night premierships gives him swagger.

Mate, you should spend an afternoon with him.

He has one deep love in this world - himself!! :D

At least you don't have to ask him how good he was - he'll tell you that constantly.

Mate, you should spend an afternoon with him.

He has one deep love in this world - himself!! :D

At least you don't have to ask him how good he was - he'll tell you that constantly.

Nothing wrong with that.

Someone who can back that confidence and self assurance up is ok.

Try spending an afternoon with the same personality types but couldn't back that confidence up with on field ability.

Bloody annoying ego maniacs.

I'm not sure I want someone better than what's on offer already but I just want our own dickhead who will infuriate every opposition supporter when he is commentating the game.

Stephen Rowe is at the top of his game in regards to being an irritating douchebag, with every syllable ( and it is usually singular with him) that drips from his sockpuppet mouth.

Dermie is my favourite commentator across all networks. Knows his stuff and I've never seen noticeable bias.

Same with Healy, both consummate professionals, who bother to research interstate clubs.

Give us them and Huddo and I'll be a very happy man.

Will we be stuck with only 7's commentators for finals?

i'm pretty sure if i'd won 5 day and 5 night premierships, i'd be pretty full of myself too

say what you want about dermott, he may have been a bit of a thug, but by hell he could play the game, and his knowledge of it is unquestionable IMO

agree that gerard healy is one of the better special comments men too, is generally very impartial

Is Ricciuto part of the Fox team? Has some interesting things to say but I wouldn't say he's the most articulate person going around.

PS. Jakovich needs to stop slurping/hissing between sentences. Disgusting habit. I actually dislike him more than Dwayne Russell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL I jumped on here to post about the commentary, not surprised others have as well. It's seriously disgraceful - Dunstall barracking shamelessly, Tony Shaw not far behind and Dwayne being his usual self. Im watching the second half on mute. Way to alienate your audience Fox Footy!

Russell isn't that bad, neither's Dunstall. But Shaw has made me go "You're a moron Shaw" twice and he got a "OMFG Shaw" out of me too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxtel Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back