Fractured clavicle recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

div12ressie

Senior List
Jul 13, 2024
AFL Club
Essendon
Just wanting to know everyone's experience in having a fractured collarbone and how long it took to them getting back to playing footy.

Fractured mine almost a month ago, no surgery just a sling for the first two and weeks and now trying to get my full range of motion back(using pain as an indicator). There's still over 3 games of the season left before finals so I'm hopeful I can get back for the last game if all goes well.

Dont smoke/stopped drinking alcohol and taking the standard supplements

You've got minimum 6-week healing, and then need to be cleared for contact before training, then need to have a couple of weeks for return to play in training. 7 weeks is probably not enough.

A kid in the NRL at Souths, Tyrone Munro, did a collar bone this season and came back after 8 weeks, and did the same collarbone again first game back. Be careful not to rush it and see medical pros for advice.

You've got minimum 6-week healing, and then need to be cleared for contact before training, then need to have a couple of weeks for return to play in training. 7 weeks is probably not enough.

A kid in the NRL at Souths, Tyrone Munro, did a collar bone this season and came back after 8 weeks, and did the same collarbone again first game back. Be careful not to rush it and see medical pros for advice.
clav.png

Above was my fracture. Since my fracture looks pretty low grade in comparison to a lot of other ones I've seen, theoretically should my recovery time be shorter? First time fracturing any bone so i'm pretty clueless. I'm still getting the final scan next week I just like hearing other people's experience/knowledge in the meantime

Just wanting to know everyone's experience in having a fractured collarbone and how long it took to them getting back to playing footy.

Fractured mine almost a month ago, no surgery just a sling for the first two and weeks and now trying to get my full range of motion back(using pain as an indicator). There's still over 3 games of the season left before finals so I'm hopeful I can get back for the last game if all goes well.

Dont smoke/stopped drinking alcohol and taking the standard supplements
GL with your recovery. :thumbsu:

Since my fracture looks pretty low grade in comparison to a lot of other ones I've seen, theoretically should my recovery time be shorter?

That’s not how it works.
Removing bone displacement from the equation, the “worse” the fracture looks on imaging often times it will heal quicker because there is more surface area.
If not plated I would consider a clavicle fracture a 10-12 week injury.
edit
These studies suggest it could be even longer

Last edited:
View attachment 2064824

Above was my fracture. Since my fracture looks pretty low grade in comparison to a lot of other ones I've seen, theoretically should my recovery time be shorter? First time fracturing any bone so i'm pretty clueless. I'm still getting the final scan next week I just like hearing other people's experience/knowledge in the meantime
Sorry late to the party here . I missed 12 weeks but it was around 5 months before I really could fully train and play .

I would be very conservative with it and not try to rush back

That’s not how it works.
Removing bone displacement from the equation, the “worse” the fracture looks on imaging often times it will heal quicker because there is more surface area.
If not plated I would consider a clavicle fracture a 10-12 week injury.
edit
These studies suggest it could be even longer
Sorry late to the party here . I missed 12 weeks but it was around 5 months before I really could fully train and play .

I would be very conservative with it and not try to rush back
yeah I ended up coming out to training, tuesday wasn't too bad but tonight even just going for an overhead mark i felt some pain on the clavicle so i'm just gonna miss the rest of the year unfortunately

Remove this Banner Ad

Fractured clavicle recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back