Frank Zappa-another genius of rock ala Patton

Remove this Banner Ad

Been listening to Joe's Garage lately -********ing awesome and funny.

The musician ship is second to none.

Vinnie on the drums lays down some incredible stuff.

Frank Zappa -genius -played guitar and sang but wrote most of the musical charts for his band as well-his high living lifestyle caught up with him though :(

When I listen to this album,I can't help but make comparisons to Patton and Mr. Bungle-Patton must have been a big fan of Zappa.

Any other Zappa fans out there?

jabso said:
His drummer is Chad Wackerman am I right?
Brother of Bad Religions drummer Brooks Wackerman :D
One of.

Terry Bozzio is another who sat on the stool for him. Now
there is a drummer!!

Heard a fair bit of Zappa from an old mate i used to live with. Some very wacked out action happenin there. Impossible to basket him in any genre.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and dont you eat that yellow snow...." :D

Tormented Tiger said:
I picked up the Sheik Yerbotti c.d. a few years back after remebering hearing it back in the early 80's. Great stuff.
I'm listening to Zoot Allures at the moment-great stuff-as the great Bill Hicks said music played from the ********ing heart. :D

Haha Stealth -telefunken u 47 ...with leather LOL :D

Listening to Willie The Pimp off You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol.4-I urge you to listen to this jam loud-********en awesome song.

From 3 mins into the song,it takes off to new heights,the hairs start sitting up on the back of your neck hehe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zappa rules musically. When he teamed up with Captain Beefheart it was awesome. The funny songs are good, but these guys could really play.
Recommended listening:
Peaches en Regalia
Willie the Pimp
Fine Girl
Montana
The Mud Shark
Valley Girl
Happy Together
Be in my video
Muffin Man

and my personal favourite... the live version of Sexual Harassment in the Workplace.

Count Zero said:
Zappa rules musically. When he teamed up with Captain Beefheart it was awesome. The funny songs are good, but these guys could really play.
Recommended listening:
Peaches en Regalia
Willie the Pimp
Fine Girl
Montana
The Mud Shark
Valley Girl
Happy Together
Be in my video
Muffin Man

and my personal favourite... the live version of Sexual Harassment in the Workplace.

Jewish Princess is quite funny also. :D I think Disco Boy rates as my fav.

moistie said:
Dweezil. Good on him, I really have to buy some of his albums. What would people recommend as a good 'in' to Frank Zappa?

I'd probably get Strictly Commercial mate and then dig into stuff like Joes Garage-I've been doing some investigating on Amazon :D and the general consensus there is that "One Size Fits All" is his best album.-are Amazonians good judges?

I love Zoot Allures and Apostrophe too.-I love those old seventies warm productions like sitting next to an open fire on a freezing night with a glass of red in one hand and a nice girl around your other hand-umm arm. :D

smasha said:
When I listen to this album,I can't help but make comparisons to Patton and Mr. Bungle-Patton must have been a big fan of Zappa.

correct..there are some comparisons between the two creatively speaking.
I'm a huge fan of Patton and nearly every project he's ever worked on.
There is talk of the Ipecac Geek show touring Australia later this year too...fingers crossed

smasha said:
I'd probably get Strictly Commercial mate and then dig into stuff like Joes Garage-I've been doing some investigating on Amazon :D and the general consensus there is that "One Size Fits All" is his best album.-are Amazonians good judges?

I love Zoot Allures and Apostrophe too.-I love those old seventies warm productions like sitting next to an open fire on a freezing night with a glass of red in one hand and a nice girl around your other hand-umm arm. :D

Yeah, decent advice for any newbies, smasha. And I reckon they'll know they've really "got" Zappa when they never play "Strictly Commercial" ever again.

To add to the above list, I'd have to include "Hot Rats" and "Sheik Yerbouti" for two distinctly divergent but lovable representations of different Zappa eras.

And then, of course, there's all of those mighty instrumentals like the "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" triple album set, and the "Guitar" double disk set to overdose on amazing arrangements.

As well as a veritable plethora of live stuff - the six double-disks of "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore", "Just Another Band From LA", and the various "Filimore" bootlegs.

Literally hundreds of hours to explore ... and all still accessible.

I think the first Zappa song I ever heard when I was a wee lad was Excentrifugal Force from a quadraphonic showcase sampler-still have that disc in my big old drum of vinyl - my sis stole the old quadraphonic hifi system.

That disc had some pearlers on it-quadraphonic versions of Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot,Muscle Of Love by Alice Cooper,The Slums -by I think Donny Hathaway(funky rhythm and blues song that is so cool that it makes todays rubbish look amateurish)and Quadrant 4 by Billy Cobham-this version you can hear them chatting away just before they start the song-that wasnt even on the Billy Cobham studio album.

I was fortunate enough to see the Great Man in concert in 1976. Absolutely awesome gig and rates as one of the best i've seen to this day. Over 2 hours of mayhem plus 3 encores.
FZ is one of the great under appreciated guitarists and yes the amazing Terry Bozzio was on drums.

I would recommend Hot Rats, Apostrophe, You Are What You Is? firstly.
Then Over-Nite Sensation ,Zoot Allures, Sheik Yerbouti.
One Size Fits All is o.k. and a worthwhile purchase but would get some of the others first.
Bongo Fury is a good live album if you want some Beefheart on vocals.
We're Only In It For The Money is recommended but only once you familiarize yourself with Zappa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Zappa-another genius of rock ala Patton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back