Free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the Sunday Times on the weekend in the Ross Lyon interview he was wasked the question "are you going to try and get Brendan Goddard?". His response to he question was that Bond and Lloyd were taking care of all the list management and were going to target someone who they think would suit our team, or something along those lines anyway. by the sounds of that it does seem that we are going to be active in trying to lure someone across to WA seeing as we have a bit of money left after not getting Mitch Clarke last year. Who could it be? As much as i would love Goddard in our team i would rather spend that money on getting a kpf. Goddard is a fantastic player and though dont get me wrong. Thoughts???

There must be consideration of Goddard because the circumstances fit perfectly.

He is 27 this year and must be thinking about where the remainder of his AFL career is going to take him. Depends on what is important to him. If being a premiership player is a target then it depends on how the Saints go this year and also Fremantle's outlook.

There would be competition from other teams but previous relationship with Lyon , assuming it was good , can only help the cause of getting him.

I would love to have him. Collingwoods acquisitions of Ball and Jolly were very important to their premiership win in 2010. If there are opportunities to snare quality players in their prime Freo should make every effort to do so if we want success in the next few years.

Which key position forward comes under free agency? I would argue an elite midfielder like Montagna is what we need..
I know its unrealistic but Travis Cloke is. i can't imagine him moving over to WA though and also GWS im sure would trump anyone for Cloke if he ever left Collingwood. Would love him to go to GWS just to stick it up Eddy.

Going after the expensive KPF has been the bain of our existance. It's time we got a midfielder that will elevate our midfield into the top 4 in the league. Then the goals will come, it's not like we have no one down there..

Cloke and Pavlich in the same forward line would be a nightmare for any defense.
The idea of Pav and Cloke in the same forward line does sound good but it may not work. Look at Fev and Brown, they didn't really fire on all cylinders in the same forward line. i just don't know if two big power forwards can exist in the same forward line together. I think for it to work you really need to have one playing further up the ground kicking it to the other one in the forward line. still i would love to have Cloke in our side. Pretty much won't happen though

The idea of Pav and Cloke in the same forward line does sound good but it may not work. Look at Fev and Brown, they didn't really fire on all cylinders in the same forward line. i just don't know if two big power forwards can exist in the same forward line together. I think for it to work you really need to have one playing further up the ground kicking it to the other one in the forward line. still i would love to have Cloke in our side. Pretty much won't happen though
I wouldn't say it was a failure, didn't Fev & Brown both get over 50 goals each? If not for injuries to both of them it would have been a bigger number. Roughie & Buddy has worked as a tandem for years!

Lol, Cloke in, Anthony out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard would be a great addition to our team. The ties with Lyon could only help us get him aswell

Also, does anyone think buddy will be getting homesick anytime soon? :eek:
I went to school with Buddy and there is absolutely no chance that he will ever come back to play in WA. He has opened his own shop on Chapel street and is pretty set up for his future in Melbourne.
Who else is of interest and could be a possible target for us through free agency. Goddard and Cloke would be at the top of the list for us but Goddard seems more likely than Cloke i would have thought.

Pretty sure the Franklins have been well documented in the past as resenting Perth and it's fishbowl state.
He doesn't resent Perth he is just a big city boy and Perth is just a little city. He was always getting in to trouble over here and everyone knew he was even before he got drafted and he didn't really like all of the attention he was getting because most of the time it was attention for the wrong reasons. He handled himself pretty well though. As i said though he will not com back to WA to live, and he is signed up with the Hawks for the next 2 years anyway

Are we going to seriously look at Goddard? Well of course we are, pretty much every team in the league will be doing that.

Are we a realistic shot? I think so, but we've got realise this isn't like Ball going to Collingwood. Goddard is going to be in relatively high demand and can set his own price. He'll be a relatively expensive pick-up for whoever gets him (or if Saints keep him).

I'm not sure if I like the idea really. He is as gun footballer, would be a great addition on the field as a quality player that can play a few positions, but I can't stand the guy as a persona.

Are we going to seriously look at Goddard? Well of course we are, pretty much every team in the league will be doing that.

Are we a realistic shot? I think so, but we've got realise this isn't like Ball going to Collingwood. Goddard is going to be in relatively high demand and can set his own price. He'll be a relatively expensive pick-up for whoever gets him (or if Saints keep him).

I'm not sure if I like the idea really. He is as gun footballer, would be a great addition on the field as a quality player that can play a few positions, but I can't stand the guy as a persona.
You only don't like the bloke because he is good and has an attitude, if he was no good and had an attitude you wouldn't care. Im sure if you ask Saints supporters hat they think about Ballantyne or for that matter what they thought of of Farmer. We love them because they are on our team but everyone hates them because they are good and have an attitude. I can guarantee if Ballas wasnt any good that noone would get stuck in to him

You only don't like the bloke because he is good and has an attitude, if he was no good and had an attitude you wouldn't care. Im sure if you ask Saints supporters hat they think about Ballantyne or for that matter what they thought of of Farmer. We love them because they are on our team but everyone hates them because they are good and have an attitude. I can guarantee if Ballas wasnt any good that noone would get stuck in to him

Yea I know what you're saying. And I'm sure any reservations I have about his character or otherwise would fade if/when he embraces the Dockers and wins games for the purple. And yes, most teams have those who you love to hate and you would just love if they we're yours - but Goddard is on another level for me ... actually I have to come clean here, he's a bit of a bogan for sure, but I think the real reason I don't like him is that he majorly reminds me of an absolute DH that I knew back in high-school. Just a real 'aussie thug' if you ever met one. I'll have to put my petty prejudice aside I guess.

.... alright, done. Goddard, come on down. :)

Expect Goddard to be the next 5 year contract to be announced.

Let's throw the sink for Montagna, quality mid with min 3 years to go or no free agent homesick Bennell

Remove this Banner Ad

Free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back