Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Free-to-air TV may get first dibs on sport

THE television industry is bracing for a review of sports broadcast rules that could dramatically shift the balance between free-to-air and pay TV networks.

The Communications minister, Stephen Conroy, is soon to publish a discussion paper into the operations of anti-siphoning laws, which give free-to-air TV first rights to broadcast events such as AFL and NRL matches, as well as cricket matches involving Australia, formula one and rugby union Test matches.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fr...t-dibs-on-sport/2009/08/18/1250362074990.html

Good for those of us without Foxtel.

Foxtel only gets the shitty footy matches anyway, so I don't see what's the problem.

This REAL issue is that Channel 9 doesn't have the football.

Best commentators in the business in BT, Brayshaw, Lyon, Dunstall and Spud.

10 and 7 are USELESS with the footy. And Foxtel hasn't been the same since they lost their Fox Footy Channel, that was awesome.

Foxtel only gets the shitty footy matches anyway, so I don't see what's the problem.

BT,Piggy and Spud all now work on Fox Sports coverage

Living in Perth we are forced to watch on both FTA and Foxtel the same game as they have committed to always play the local teams live or on a 30 minute delayed telecast if it is a designated Foxtel game. The rules must be changed so that this problem can be resolved for this year many non WA footy supporters have not been able to watch their team live. Jeez I havent seen the Hawks play a live game now for 5 weeks and I wont see one for the rest of the season as we clash with a local WA side.

Although the Hawks are oridinary this year I have missed some absolute crackers such as the Hawks Carlton match, the Hawks Collingwood match and the Hawks Geelong match. I dont care if we loose whilst I watch them live I simply want the chance to watch them live on TV. The rules are so bad the hotels are threatened with fines if they play these games live from another state. This problem needs to be resolved before they try and accomodate the FTA multi digital channel situation.

Yes, the AFL really needs to emphasise the importance of Live broadcasting. Its understandable to delay games in the afternoon for games which aren't sold out in that state, but other than that, there are no excuses. Its a joke over here in WA, 3 hour delay on Friday nights. Might as well give it to Foxtel imo, even though I don't have it. Their treatment of Friday nights is disgraceful over here, I usually give in and find out the scores on the web.

Terrible for those who actually want to see live sporting events....

At least the pay-tv channels actually televise the games when they are on.....
Quoted for truth!

Maybe now that ONE is going it is getting better but still you can watch the MotoGP live on Fox or wait until midnight for the replay on Ten.

The whole thing about the free-to-air channels complaining that Foxtel is taking all the sport is ridiculous when they treat the sport viewing public with contempt. They grab it and then say "we'll put it on when we want."

So in Sydney and Brisbane the Rugby and Rugby League goes on live but everywhere else it's on at midnight or worse. The reverse is true for AFL in Sydney and Brisbane. If the government gives exclusive first dibs rights to the FTA channels then we the viewer will go back to being screwed over when we want to watch LIVE sport.

I think there should be a mandate given to the FTA stations that if they buy up a sport exclusively then they need to show it live in all states. If they don't want to do that, then don't bid for it.

10 and 7 are USELESS with the footy. And Foxtel hasn't been the same since they lost their Fox Footy Channel, that was awesome.

You've got to be kidding. I prefer actual commentating over the Triple M screams football stuff. Go watch some old games and refresh your memory, the best commentators were Bruce, Sandy, Drew, Dennis, Leigh, etc...

You've got to be kidding. I prefer actual commentating over the Triple M screams football stuff. Go watch some old games and refresh your memory, the best commentators were Bruce, Sandy, Drew, Dennis, Leigh, etc...

Each to their own I guess. Sandy and many of the C7 commentators were terrible. Sandy's AFL commentating was very boring. Stick with the golf Sandy as that's where your personality belongs :thumbsu:

I think the thing missing in Channel 7's coverage is passion. Before they lost the rights, they had an awesome coverage, they prided themselves on being the premier AFL broadcasting channel in this nation. Now it seems more like a burden against their all out ratings war. Their coverage is bland, even with Commetti Buckley and Matthews who are all good commentators in their own right. Their production values are just poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real concern I have is the lack of live football that fans will be able to see. If we think we have it bad now, it will only get worse.

7, 9 and 10 will ALL get AFL in the next agreement, with the ability to use their 2nd channels.

That will be good for football, especially in NSW/Qld where we get screwed.

Can you believe Collingwood v Sydney is DELAYED and shortened this week because of V8s!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

Live footy is what is needed. and i dont mean in victoria, i mean around the whole country!

I dont care if its pay-tv (i will just head down to the local pub to watch it) or one of the digital channels. If the AFL is serious, they would be backing this move, in turn forcing the FTA channels (mainly 7) into either playing the games live, or risk losing the coverage

The anti-siphoning laws should be scrapped entirely.
If the FTA channels want to pay for the content they should be aloud to show it any time on any channel. Pay TV providers should be able to compete for the rights on a level playing field with the FTA channels

All games should be live on payTV which means at times broadcasting 2 different games at the same time. FTA to continue as they have been doing with 4 games a week, local sides to be on FTA in local markets (ex Vic), but on delay if against the gate, unless sold out.

The FTA networks would pay substantially less but Foxtel would pay an absolute premium for this, more than making up the loss. and those without Foxtel would be no worse off

Remove this Banner Ad

Free-to-air TV may get first dibs on sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back