Fremantle V Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Ripper said:
Yep. Port when doing their startup studied what happened to Freo and found out what not to do.

For a while there and decision made by the board had to get approved by the WAFC.

We even had the WAFC asking Mick Malthouse for advice on how to improve Freo.

I knew we had looked at things there and at Essendon (and to a lesser extent in Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide).

That certainly explains some of the events that happened in your early years and the time it has taken to recover from some of that.

Ripper said:
Nope, the WAFC appointed who it thought would be the best Freo board.

We ended up with an ALP crony as the CEO and a one eyed Eagles supporter as chairman.

It took street marchs and a lot of protesting from the Freo Mob (Members own board) to get thing changed.

Things are better now.

I know that East Fremantle v South Fremantle games before The Dockers and particularly before the Eagles started, were like civil war, but I never understood why the WAFC didn't appoint the presidents of the 2 WAFL clubs to the board of the Dockers and embrace the footy culture and history of the two Fremantle football clubs. Maybe you can fill us in a little of whether that would have been feasible 12/14 years ago Ripper and what the WAFC should have done in the early days.

Ripper said:
Nope, the WAFC appointed who it thought would be the best Freo board.

We ended up with an ALP crony as the CEO and a one eyed Eagles supporter as chairman.

It took street marchs and a lot of protesting from the Freo Mob (Members own board) to get thing changed.

Things are better now.
I used to post on the old rival's Freo board at the time of the marches and got to read some of the posts and articles from one of the semi-official boards. Not sure if it was Freo mob or some other board, but one thing for sure is that the situation was a joke and not by Freo own people's doing.
All I could think about at the time was "wouldn't the other SANFL clubs love to kick out our administrators and run Port themselves". What a joke.
Anyway, well done since then Ripper and co. :thumbsu:

I think we're a definite chance to win this game. Our young blokes will have gained much confidence from the Showdown win and Freo has been riding high for seven weeks and could well be due for a loss. Port has a good record at Subiaco Oval over the years. I reckon we're a big show to cause another upset.

RussellEbertHandball said:
I know that East Fremantle v South Fremantle games before The Dockers and particularly before the Eagles started, were like civil war, but I never understood why the WAFC didn't appoint the presidents of the 2 WAFL clubs to the board of the Dockers and embrace the footy culture and history of the two Fremantle football clubs. Maybe you can fill us in a little of whether that would have been feasible 12/14 years ago Ripper and what the WAFC should have done in the early days.

That is what eventually happened and since then We have been on the up.

There is still a very small clique of troublesome South Pole knomes that want Souths to take over the Dockers but generally everyone is working for the greater good.

I think they were scared that Freo would have up surped the Eagles as Freo does have a great successful footy culture.

E.G. A flag went south of the river on average once every 2.5 years since the 1880's and the record crowd at subiaco to this day was for the 1979 Derby GF.

You only have to listen to the toast fans when they are denial about Freo having no link to Freo to see that.

No doubt in my mind that it was a deliberate ploy and the WAFC were happy to have another team to pay for Subiaco

Well supercoach was right about last weeks game. Told me that we would knock over the camry clowns.

Now have just received word from him that he has that same gut feeling again.

The youngsters gained a lot of confidence from last weeks game and are determined to finish this season with a bang.

If supercoach is right, we are going to have another good win against another top side.

Dont let me down with this...............or no caramel slices... :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle V Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back