Roast Friday Night Attendances

Remove this Banner Ad

Averaging 35K in home games against Carlton and Geelong is pretty poor.

We're not going to get many Friday night games with that sort of effort. Turn up FFS!

Friday night is really about TV ratings and how they hold for the duration of the game. You could get 50,000 at the game but if the contest was over by half time the TV audience would turn off and ratings would drop. Our Friday night games have been GREAT contests and people stick.
My family had the flu and only 2 attended instead of 6. Also how many people would come from Geelong will the freezing/wet weather to an away game?
TV ratings will decide Friday night fixtures so chill out.

to be fair, that carlton game the weather was shocking so i reckon thats why a fair few people stayed away...normally we get 40+ for a north v carlton game....also last night i felt, it was more coz of how our season has been going and the fact our seasons all but over in terms of finals.....shouldnt be a true reflection.

Friday night is really about TV ratings and how they hold for the duration of the game. You could get 50,000 at the game but if the contest was over by half time the TV audience would turn off and ratings would drop. Our Friday night games have been GREAT contests and people stick.
My family had the flu and only 2 attended instead of 6. Also how many people would come from Geelong will the freezing/wet weather to an away game?
TV ratings will decide Friday night fixtures so chill out.
Boom baby!! Exactly!!

Cats fans don't travel up the highway to visit NMFC.

Heaviest rain ever v the Blues leading up to when people have to head to the station.

Season over knocks 5k off the crowd too.

I'm not sure what you expected?

We will never get 48000 to a home game, no matter when, no matter whom.

Cats fans don't travel up the highway to visit NMFC.

Heaviest rain ever v the Blues leading up to when people have to head to the station.

Season over knocks 5k off the crowd too.

I'm not sure what you expected?

We will never get 48000 to a home game, no matter when, no matter whom.
If north were embedded in the top 5.....playing Geelong to play for top 4 position...would easily get 48k We have many supporters that arent paid up members.

I disagree, we got 41 against the Pies and 41 against the Blues last year, when things looked heaps better.

Cat fans won't travel to see us, wait until they drop off to see how many band wagon members they have.

If these 2 games were not live on free-to-air the crowds would be 40K plus easily. EG. I have to travel for over an hour to get to a Friday night Etihad game in peak-hour traffic, so if its on free-to-air I will more often than not stay in. If on Foxtel I would head to the game. I think many people are in this boat.

"Over an hour"? Boo Hoo! I'd say the vast majority of fans at the game on Friday would have traveled for close to, if not more than, an hour.

"Over an hour"? Boo Hoo! I'd say the vast majority of fans at the game on Friday would have traveled for close to, if not more than, an hour.

Fair point, but not everyone enjoys the travel and peak-hour traffic, I guess it also depends on which part of Melbourne ur coming from, petrol money is also an issue for some people:)....like i said, if it were not on tv another 5K would turn up imho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me its a matter of waiting around the city after work. However the weather was miserable and because it's live on free to air, plenty of supporters would have watched it on TV.

It was a top quality game between us and the Cats. There have been Friday night games this year that I've found totally boring. This year our crowds numbers could've been better, but as team gets better the crowds will increase. If the AFL want an exciting game for viewers to watch, then they can't go far wrong by scheduling us against a top 4 side on a Friday night.

All that matters is how it rated on TV.

I suspect it rated well given the pace of the game and our close finishes this year.

I had mates who normally bag north, sms me saying what a cracker of a game. They'll actively watch more north games due to Friday night.

Performing on a Friday night is so important to this club.

Last 5 games vs Geelong @ Etihad
33584 R19 2013 Home Friday
34152 R2 2013 Away Sunday
29630 R3 2012 Home Sunday
38373 R11 2008 Home Friday
48501 R20 2007 Home Sunday

Pretty decent fluctuation there based on the context of the season.

However vs Carlton was our worst for quite some time:

Last 6 games v Carlton
37443 R17 2013 Home Friday
46423 R16 2012 Home Friday
41332 R19 2011 Home Friday
43732 R12 2010 Home Friday
38554 R18 2009 Home Friday
43406 R20 2008 Away Sunday
29334 R21 2007 Away Saturday
11647 R8 2007 Home (@Metricon) Saturday

All that matters is how it rated on TV.

I suspect it rated well given the pace of the game and our close finishes this year.

Ratings is more about perception and anticipation rather than how attractive the side is.

The game on Friday wont set any ratings records because the game was only broadcast live FTA to Melbourne and Adelaide. We got 350k into Melbourne and 88k into Adelaide which wasn't on the strong side but are not shocking numbers. It probably had more to do with our season being shot.

FTA ratings in the low to mid 400s into Melbourne and cracking 100k in Perth or Adelaide if it is live is a good benchmark for a strong performance.

Our R8 game vs West Coast had 427k Melbourne, 186k Perth, 99k Adelaide, 34k Brisbane, 26k Sydney plus 252k Fox for a total of 1024k, anything over 1 mil is very strong. Essendon vs Carlton friday night was 1092k for comparison.

350k into Melbourne was not a strong performance though for this week's game. However, I think that is a problem for scheduling friday night games late into the season as teams bomb out of contention, we also went up against the Ashes game where Australia was going okay which is a bit of a factor with the neutrals.

Ratings is more about perception and anticipation rather than how attractive the side is.

The game on Friday wont set any ratings records because the game was only broadcast live FTA to Melbourne and Adelaide. We got 350k into Melbourne and 88k into Adelaide which wasn't on the strong side but are not shocking numbers. It probably had more to do with our season being shot.

FTA ratings in the low to mid 400s into Melbourne and cracking 100k in Perth or Adelaide if it is live is a good benchmark for a strong performance.

Our R8 game vs West Coast had 427k Melbourne, 186k Perth, 99k Adelaide, 34k Brisbane, 26k Sydney plus 252k Fox for a total of 1024k, anything over 1 mil is very strong. Essendon vs Carlton friday night was 1092k for comparison.

350k into Melbourne was not a strong performance though for this week's game. However, I think that is a problem for scheduling friday night games late into the season as teams bomb out of contention, we also went up against the Ashes game where Australia was going okay which is a bit of a factor with the neutrals.

There seems to be a state missing here somewhere.....

Sounded like we had 25 thousand of us there.
Our supporters have been burnt though. From the Freo game last year where we were peaking there were genuinely 30k northerners ready to explode with the group. Its been a long 12 months since that Sunday afternoon and from the Collingwood game this year and when we lost to Adelaide its been a tough bloody year. There is no reason we shouldnt beat Adelaide, Essendon and Collingwood on form.
Finish off strong, see what happens with the ladder and go from there!
Form? Regardless of what form we're in we lose interstate. You can't deny that we struggle implementing our game style outside of Victoria.
Hopefully we can start this weekend, as this is our last chance this season to beat a decent side interstate. It seems like forever since we have.
And Collingwood on form is questionable as well - they're a very good side when they're on - as they showed against Geelong a few months back and on the wekeend. They would be saying the same about us - 'no reason we can't.' Think the game against them is a 50/50.

Will be an interesting month to finish the season.

There seems to be a state missing here somewhere.....

I believe the game was delayed into Perth so is not collected with the live ratings, delayed ratings are usually garbage though. It is odd that C7 wouldn't go live into Perth for a friday night game.

For our Perth denizens, was the game on digital only delayed? Did you watch it on Foxtel?

I believe the game was delayed into Perth so is not collected with the live ratings, delayed ratings are usually garbage though. It is odd that C7 wouldn't go live into Perth for a friday night game.

Tas, I was meaning Tasmania. Friday games are always shown live FTA to the whole state, but I suspect we are left off the ratings.

Still i'd suspect the figure would be higher than Syd and Bris figures they do bother to measure.

Tas, I was meaning Tasmania. Friday games are always shown live FTA to the whole state, but I suspect we are left off the ratings.

Still i'd suspect the figure would be higher than Syd and Bris figures they do bother to measure.

Nobody gives a shit about Tasmania in the 5 metro ratings, ultimately it is the reason why Tasmania doesn't have a team. Advertisers care about ratings in Melbourne/Sydney then Brisbane a distant third and Perth a distant fourth and Adelaide last.

It is why I am surprised a place like Tasmania doesn't stick their hand up and say we will take all th boat people and refugees, they aren't allowed to work but are given a government benefit, they could bring that money into Tasmania to help the ailing economy and they need to more than double their population to put it on the map, needs a larger consumer base and viewer base so their ratings aren't dumped with regional cities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Friday Night Attendances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back