From your favourite celebrity... Ray Hadlee

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
"Melbourne Storm are heading into the most crucial season of the franchise's short life.

My mail is that unless they get their act together on and off the field, the NRL will look closely at the future of the club.

News Ltd, the majority shareholder, is not going to weak at the knees. It has poured millions into the storm and will continue to do so. The pressure will come from other areas.

Leading NRL officials are desperate to have a club on the gold coast, despite the failed experiment of the chargers in the days of the ARL.

And a cashed up John Singleton is ready and waiting in the wings to invest in a club based on the Central Coast.

The waters have been anything but calm for the storm since they won the premiership in fine style in 1999.

Last year's move to 3pm games on Saturday was a failure. Crowds dropped from an average of nearly 12,000 to 9,000. The club is also well below expectations in market betting and sponsorship.

The power brokers will watch Melbourne's performance this season and i believe club boss John Ribot will be told it's make or break time"

also from ray

"While on the Storm, what were NRL board members thinking when they granted the club salary cap exemptions via a living away from home allowance for 17 players.

It's outrageous the Storm have been singled out for cap concessions.

Melbourne are in a unique position with no junior league to speak of, but what about the New Zealand Warriors? They are fighting an internal battle with rugby union.

Then there's the Cowboys, who have to pay well over the odds to convince players to move to far north Queensland.

At a meeting of club cheif executives, Ribot complained his club had trouble attracting the attention of the media and the fans in Victoria.

Which proves my point: you are wasting your time in Melbourne, John"

He sounds like a lot of people in Melbourne did talking about the Swans in the early 90s.

Or like jealous North Melbourne fans still nursing bruised egos after the Sydney push talk about the swans now.

Originally posted by Richoagain

Or like jealous North Melbourne fans still nursing bruised egos after the Sydney push talk about the swans now.

North have said nothing publicly about Sydney's salary cap concessions, that push is being led by Eddie McDouble-chins, not us. We are more concerned about keeping our club alive, not knitpicking about different costs of living between 2 cities.

Nicko

Did Hadley say that on radio today?

What's new pussycat?
He (Hadley) and Singleton have been deathriding the Storm from day one....and this comes as no surprise to me......he just keeps repeating the same old rubbish.

Storm have just signed Aldecco again as their sponsor for the next 2 years for $1m. per year along with Honda and some other major sponsor for another $1m. per year......so what's Hadley talking about?

You tell me another new NRL club/area that's going to draw a bigger crowd to their games than the Storm have done over the last 5 years on a consistent basis....(apart from last year and there were good reasons for this) and then maybe Singleton and Hadley can take over....arseholes:rolleyes:
The Chargers have failed previously, so too the Bears.....as an example

I am so sick of the Sydney media, but was so glad that Chris Anderson came out last week and emphasised how important it was for a rugby league club to be based in the 2nd biggest city of Aust. and for the game to expand.

Now this has put a dampener on my day!:mad:

You know, Ray Hadley is the only person I have ever written an abusive letter to. For everything bad he craps on about the Storm he was just as bad with the Rams, and he REALLY got up my nose something bad.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by The Hippie
North have said nothing publicly about Sydney's salary cap concessions, that push is being led by Eddie McDouble-chins, not us. We are more concerned about keeping our club alive, not knitpicking about different costs of living between 2 cities.

That's not what I'm talking about - it's the fans in Melbourne who have this vision that the fact Sydneysiders haven't en masse jumped to AFL is because the Swans somehow haven't done a good nough job and the roos could somehow magically have done it so much better.....

The salary cap is another issue altogether!

Re: Nicko

Originally posted by Ms.Storm

I am so sick of the Sydney media,
Now this has put a dampener on my day!:mad:

How upsetting, it appears Ms Storm, that the Sydney media as well as the Melbourne media are against you, cant seem to take a trick. Ribot is fighting the unwinnable fight IMO and News will want to see a return on their moolah at some stage.

The Storm will be gone within 5 years, not that i am anti league, im not ........ just cant see them lasting.

Phillipo

Originally posted by fabulousphil
How upsetting, it appears Ms Storm, that the Sydney media as well as the Melbourne media are against you, cant seem to take a trick. Ribot is fighting the unwinnable fight IMO and News will want to see a return on their moolah at some stage.

The Storm will be gone within 5 years, not that i am anti league, im not ........ just cant see them lasting.

News Ltd. get a return for their moolah by way of fta exposure/ pay-tv deals, sponsorships,selling extra papers/mags,etc etc. ......a very similar scenaria for the Swans being on board with the afl, especially in their early days....and that was always the reason given by the afl and others for the reason to retain them, apart from spreading the afl gospel.

The NRL have emphasised to the Storm and their supporters last year, that all their (NRL) sponsors want a team in Melb.

I would like to disregard what Hadley and Singleton say becuase they are best friends and Hadley is employed by Singo......and what does Singo want? An rugby league club all to himself.......its a set up mainly......propoganda (well I hope anyway)

Both of them can go and get stuffed!
Sorry about the language, but they make me (and mind you all Storm supporters so wild):mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillipo

I don't think I believe you anyway.....you always bag rugby league on the afl board.....and only pop on here when you see a post that relates to the demise of the Storm:rolleyes:

Just a female's inutition.......you can of course, participate in the rugby league talk here if you don;t mind league:rolleyes:

Penny

Originally posted by Penny
You know, Ray Hadley is the only person I have ever written an abusive letter to. For everything bad he craps on about the Storm he was just as bad with the Rams, and he REALLY got up my nose something bad.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really think Hadley gets a kick out of this sort of stuff....I remember sending him an email last year, and before I knew it, there were emails being sent back and forth between us for days.....he was so rude and I ruder with each email;) He just wouldn;t stop....neither would I.:p It was like he was delighting in all the banter and he sounded like a small kid whose lollipop was taken away...seriously.

I knew he also received lots of *peanuts* in the mail from a supporter that started a petition who named him a *peanut*.

I wonder why he picked on the Rams? Do you want to tell us more about it.?

Bet he did it to the Reds in Perth as well.

These guys like Singo and Hadley seem to want to keep rugby league in Sydney.....all to themselves!

I had better stop because I am getting too worked up about this:D

This sort of stuff happens real frequently on the storm supporters site and some of us are getting oblivious to it........but it puts a bad light on rugby leagues expansion, and then you get some afl people who simply delight in the thought of the demise of league here in Melb.....won;t name names at the moment!:D

For those who dont know, Ray Hadlee started out as a sports reporter (for 2UE i think) in the late 80's.

he then went on to host talking league on saturdays and sundays on 2UE. he also called the match of the day on both days.

a couple of years ago, the NRL sold out and 2GB aquired sole rights to the broadcast of rugby league. Ray Hadlee then went to 2GB and now does almost exactly the same job he did whilst at 2UE.

when he was at 2UE he used to fill in the John Laws morning show whenever he was on holidays, now on 2GB he hosts his own morning show, picking up the crumbs of leftover Alan Jones listeners after his breakfast show.

his ratings are so high because the stupidity of the NRL meant that only one radio station is allowed to call rugby league. i know the ABC also calls league but the ABC will struggle to get listeners no m,atter what the quality of the broadcasters are, and sometimes they dont call the league game when there is another important sporting event. 2GB is the ONLY station you can listen to if you want both the afternoon league talk AND the call of the game. 2BL doesnt do the league show around the call of the game, they are more of a broad range of sports

Thanks, Nicko

Originally posted by nicko18

when he was at 2UE he used to fill in the John Laws morning show whenever he was on holidays, now on 2GB he hosts his own morning show, picking up the crumbs of leftover Alan Jones listeners after his breakfast show.

He sounds John Laws-esque..... if anything slightly thicker.

Remove this Banner Ad

From your favourite celebrity... Ray Hadlee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back