Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

If this were true coaches wouldn’t exist and the best players would simply win every year. If you don’t see how good coaching can get the best out of players and a team I don’t know what to tell you
Our coach has the greatest record in the clubs history, if people can't see that, I don't know what to tell them.
People have called our midfield "generational" lol, we have always had solid midfields.
We have an experienced midfield, coupled with young forwards, and a young defence the coach is trying to work with.

Our coach has the greatest record in the clubs history, if people can't see that, I don't know what to tell them.
People have called our midfield "generational" lol, we have always had solid midfields.
We have an experienced midfield, coupled with young forwards, and a young defence the coach is trying to work with.
Young defence?

Honestly, I could take losing, but we just play such stagnant, boring football it's sometimes difficult to watch the whole way through. Will forever love the club but almost every match we play, win or lose, is a pretty tough watch.
We're a family of Cats and Dogs supporters, so watched the Cats game before ours. It was like we were watching a different sport for our game, just night and day difference in skill levels - but as you say, just a hard style to get excited about. I lost interest after a quarter which is not normal for me!

I’m just sceptical, I don’t see how changing the coach will change the ability of our players. Maybe they are just not very good. Look at North, they went through a string of coaches then obtained the most decorated coach ever and the team is just the same as it ever was.
Nobody is saying a coach can change the ability of the players. Over time he may develop them to play smarter individually or as a team. He can reignite their love of playing the game, instil pride, belief, purpose and motivation.

You need look no further than November 2014, VUWO, to see how a coach can change things for a club.
Or 2021 at Collingwood.

North is a chronic basket case right now but even if we allow that example I reckon for every one like that there are at least as many WB 2014 and Coll 2021 examples. Not all will end in a flag of course but they'll give it a fair shot.

Get me back to 2016. At least it was fun to watch when we lost.
Eh? 2015 maybe. We had a few frustrating low scoring losses in 2016:

6.9.45 vs. Norf
5.13.43 vs. Geelong
9.6.60 vs. St Kilda
6.13.49 vs. Fremantle

Several goalless quarters in those games :(

This is part of the problem, we can’t keep looking at the past. He is the greatest coach in our history, that does not mean he is the right coach to take us forward now

If and when the inevitable happens. I’d love the club to be bold. And even if it were for half a season I’d like the club to get Nathan Buckley for the second half of the season. The wisdom and leadership and totally different way to look at the game would be invaluable whether he continued or not. We as a club should never waste an opportunity or match or waste half a season. We are treading water and wasting time at the moment.

If and when the inevitable happens. I’d love the club to be bold. And even if it were for half a season I’d like the club to get Nathan Buckley for the second half of the season. The wisdom and leadership and totally different way to look at the game would be invaluable whether he continued or not. We as a club should never waste an opportunity or match or waste half a season. We are treading water and wasting time at the moment.
That just doesn't happen in Afl man. Not saying it shouldn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That just doesn't happen in Afl man. Not saying it shouldn't.
When are we as a club bold? It’s not stupid, outrageous or anything, just not doing the same old, like everyone else and roll out Brendan Lade or Daniel Pratt who are there behind Bevo, in the same system. If there is to be a change, bring in someone with fresh eyes and really wise and ready now. Someone who the lads will instantly respect. Who talks so well with the media, so important. This communication will translate well to the players. Who was on kick from a flag 6 years ago, is still hungry and more mature than ever (can’t say that about all as they age). Don’t die wondering ‘what could have been’ with this talent.

I love the club. But we need to stop accepting mediocrity. Our history of success is subpar. The club has given Bevo every opportunity to develop a side of sustained excellence (his own stated intention). This season and the last two clearly show that it is time for a change. I hope and expect that Bevo and the club will come to an amicable standdown once our season is clearly cooked.

Don’t think we can touch Buckley while we have Treloar. Great way to fracture the group instantly

Don’t think we can touch Buckley while we have Treloar. Great way to fracture the group instantly
Maybe maybe not. Maybe Buckley had to be the fall guy for the board, list management incompetence? But it doesn’t have to be Buckley, Rodney Eade for 12 games, free them up? Who knows? But hopefully the board is up to it???

This is probably a more relevant thread for the below.

I'm in the not changing horses midstream camp. If change needed to be made it needed to be made at the end of last season. But it wasn't.

So I'm chips in on Bevo until we play our last game this season, at which point he/we/they reassess for next season.

Maybe maybe not. Maybe Buckley had to be the fall guy for the board, list management incompetence? But it doesn’t have to be Buckley, Rodney Eade for 12 games, free them up? Who knows? But hopefully the board is up to it???
You are dreaming

I don’t mind the general sentiment. Would beat sticking Lade in the seat for half a season. Especially as I think we’re 1-2 assistants short as it is so would be a lot of slack to pick up

Very different circumstances obviously but something like this happened with Worsfold and the Crows after Phil Walsh

I’m just sceptical, I don’t see how changing the coach will change the ability of our players. Maybe they are just not very good. Look at North, they went through a string of coaches then obtained the most decorated coach ever and the team is just the same as it ever was.
Good players make for good coaches.
Could be the best coach ever but if you don't have the cattle, can't make them much better than they are.
And we aren't a BIG Club to get talent in via trade or FA
And paying top price for JUH and Darcy has hurt in finding decent role players.

Good players make for good coaches.
Could be the best coach ever but if you don't have the cattle, can't make them much better than they are.
And we aren't a BIG Club to get talent in via trade or FA
And paying top price for JUH and Darcy has hurt in finding decent role players.

I would argue, that finding players like JUH and Darcy are harder than others such as role players.

It will turn for the better in the long run for the Dogs.

Won't be under Bevo though.

I would argue, that finding players like JUH and Darcy are harder than others such as role players.

It will turn for the better in the long run for the Dogs.

Won't be under Bevo though.
Not sorry that we paid the price to get them. But it how we have ended up with the likes of Baker and Harmes to fill gaps in the short term.
Can't see us really contending in the next few years. Coach may change at the end of this season. Have to keep evolving the younger guys who hopefully have a greater upside. Clarke should get a debut this week, and Freijah not too far behind.

As this thread is across both board and football department, here are some questions I find myself asking about the club. Apologies for the length of post.

1/ Outside of Darcy, who often needs to remain as impartial as possible due to media commitments, who on the board has ever shown even a passing interest in the fortunes of this team? What is their emotional investment in losses like last night? Do they care as much for how the side plays as they do their CV?

2/ Has anyone at the club ever actually acknowledged the farce of charging members the same membership, but taking both Ballarat games out of it? It’s like buying a dozen stubbies and being told that from now on, a dozen means 10.

3/ If not for the somewhat flukey vaccination related acquisition of Liam Jones, what the hell has been our list strategy for our defence? Without him, we’d be like North back there. That’s not “evolving” or “finding our identity”. That’s ineptitude.

4/ What has been our overall list strategy over the past 4-5 years? “Exciting young list” gets rolled out by the club. That’s debatable, but if that’s proven to be right it has been more good fortune than good management with JUH and Darcy already aligned to the club. So who else?

5/ Which other finalist from 2021 has gone and recruited 5+ regular reserves players from other clubs? Are we really sitting there and thinking that we’ve just outdone ourselves by bringing in the next Matty Boyd or Liam Picken?

6/ If not for a few blown up balloons in club colours and a projector screen from 1998, why does the social club on game day feel like I’ve just rolled into a bingo hall?

This is a quote from Bevo in the Herald Sun from early March. Saying that we are about to re-emerge, insinuating that we are going to improve. In the article he also says he feels we are better place than we were last year.

A month later it’s all about us being in a period of evolution, insinuating that are a in a reset.

So, which one is it? Has his view of the list really changed in a month? Big issues for our overall strategy if that’s the case:

“That’s what I am pretty proud of … each time we have been able to re-emerge – and yes, we didn’t make the finals last year and we bowed out too quickly the year before (2022) – but we are still in the mix. I believe we are about to re-emerge.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back