Resource FUTURE PICKS - 2025 Provisional AFL Draft Order, based on 2024 H&A Ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

What happens if you don't have another pick (or list spot). IE you use your last pick to select another player (because no bid has come) and then there is a bid.
It hasn't been clarified, although if you don't have a list spot, you obviously can't have them, and you always have enough picks at the back end of the draft to fill your list.

But I haven't seen any announced rules about a situation where nobody has bid in the 4th round, and you decide to take another player with the aim of taking your FS/NGA/academy player as a rookie.
Convention is that nobody bids that late, but I'm not sure there is a rule about it yet.

They also haven't announced anything about being able to live trade picks after a bid post 37, although logic would suggest that this won't be allowed.

It hasn't been clarified, although if you don't have a list spot, you obviously can't have them, and you always have enough picks at the back end of the draft to fill your list.

But I haven't seen any announced rules about a situation where nobody has bid in the 4th round, and you decide to take another player with the aim of taking your FS/NGA/academy player as a rookie.
Convention is that nobody bids that late, but I'm not sure there is a rule about it yet.

They also haven't announced anything about being able to live trade picks after a bid post 37, although logic would suggest that this won't be allowed.
I mean why would you unless you can get a king's ransom for it?

So if a club had an early 3rd round pick (which is still a reasonable part of the draft, and the picks are worth points), and a bid came just before that, they could trade their pick (if allowed) for a future 3rd and match with a much later pick.

When you need points to match, live trading is fair, to get more points, or to not waste a valuable pick.
But when you just need to match with your next available pick, it goes against the spirit of the rule if you can trade your next available pick.

So if a club had an early 3rd round pick (which is still a reasonable part of the draft, and the picks are worth points), and a bid came just before that, they could trade their pick (if allowed) for a future 3rd and match with a much later pick.

When you need points to match, live trading is fair, to get more points, or to not waste a valuable pick.
But when you just need to match with your next available pick, it goes against the spirit of the rule if you can trade your next available pick.
Yeah that's a fair point.

Depends what you consider 'early', but certainly there should be clear rules about needing to bid by a certain part of the draft (say before the end of the 3rd round?).
Earlier than any bids come.
Suppose you had an NGA lined up with expected bid 2nd round. You have four open list spots. You are able to secure 4x picks ahead of a bid and use them. Will your NGA go straight to rookie list?

Last edited:
What happens if you don't have another pick (or list spot). IE you use your last pick to select another player (because no bid has come) and then there is a bid.
Then you're not getting that player.

There's been at least two cases where teams have straight up drafted their own academy player because they only had one live pick left, no bids had come, and they wanted to list the player and didn't think they'd get to the rookie draft (GWS with Lachlan Tiziani, Brisbane with Jack Payne).

Then you're not getting that player.

There's been at least two cases where teams have straight up drafted their own academy player because they only had one live pick left, no bids had come, and they wanted to list the player and didn't think they'd get to the rookie draft (GWS with Lachlan Tiziani, Brisbane with Jack Payne).
Ok but haven't the rules changed since then?

Ok but haven't the rules changed since then?
Not that I'm aware of - what do you think has changed? I'm not aware of anything that gives you extra bonus list spots to take that player if you've already passed on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I'm aware of - what do you think has changed? I'm not aware of anything that gives you extra bonus list spots to take that player if you've already passed on them.
So the change I'm thinking of seems to be for father son as opposed to academy.
My understanding is that previously if you nominated a father son you had to select them in the draft whereas now you can let them slip to rookie list (for which they will be pre-listed).
I think my question is still valid insofar as to let someone through to the rookie list does this mean there's a period after your last selection (whether or not you use it) where a bid may come that you have no means to match. I doubt this is intended.
Edit I see eth-dog post now
So essentially to let a father son through to the rookie list would mean you need to hold over a senior list spot to the psd.

Last edited:
Essendon did it the other year where we passed on our last pick, and then a bid came after that and we matched it.

Passing on the last pick was important as it means a list spot was left open as an each way bet, if the player hadn’t been bid on, they could’ve been automatically listed as a rookie.

Essendon did it the other year where we passed on our last pick, and then a bid came after that and we matched it.

Passing on the last pick was important as it means a list spot was left open as an each way bet, if the player hadn’t been bid on, they could’ve been automatically listed as a rookie.
Right, so the only way to do my "strategy" would be to hold the very last pick

Right, so the only way to do my "strategy" would be to hold the very last pick
Yep, you need that list spot - that's the key part. The same rules apply to both father/son and academy.

I am a visual kind of bloke so I have taken Lore's excellent work and her Draft Order spreadsheet and transferred it from a horizontal list to a vertical one to see who has whose Future 2025 picks. Did this because next year will be 2 years in advance trading, so getting a bit of practice in.

It also is a good way to check who has traded out an F1, and hasn't trade one back in (eg Hawks got Calrton's), so they can't trade out and F2+F3+F4 under current AFL rules.

1729512321287.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource FUTURE PICKS - 2025 Provisional AFL Draft Order, based on 2024 H&A Ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back