Fyfe - how many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish people would stop bringing up that Fyfe's intention wasn't to hit Lewis in the head.

It is NOT relevant to the intentional conduct part of the charge.

The 'intentional conduct' refers specifically to his decision to strike, NOT where he was aiming to make contact.

I'm right in believing it's either intentional-body-low, or reckless-head-low that Freo are arguing for? So either way, they just want the 1 week (instead of 2) and him not getting the Brownlow will be fair game?

Both equally bad. If you were outside a pub and somebody hit you in the head with a baseball breaking your jaw do you really think that is any better than somebody attempting to break your arm with a baseball bat, but missing and getting you in the head and breaking your jaw?

Fyfe intended to hit Lewis and hit him - that it didn't quite go to plan is not an excuse.
Why bring a baseball bat into it? Just murkying the waters further.

If a bloke tried to punch me in the chest and through p!ss poor fending I flicked the fist up into my face, I'd feel a bit better about the bloke than if he'd punched me right in the face.

Or would you think both actions are exactly the same? The same result occurred. But the bloke throwing the punch was aiming for a less vulnerable part of your anatomy.

If you genuinely think they're exactly the same, and you'd treat both circumstances exactly the same then we're clearly very different people... or one of us is bullsh*tting.

I'm right in believing it's either intentional-body-low, or reckless-head-low that Freo are arguing for? So either way, they just want the 1 week (instead of 2) and him not getting the Brownlow will be fair game?

Think they are appealing the process. It didn't go to the tribunal, so think that's what they are appealing.

The decision will probably end up the same, but they will go through the process in the right way which is what he is entitled to.

Not just Howie throwing out the case.

Intentional, reckless, high, low, whatever really. Think they just want it heard by the tribunal.

Edit: I mean that's why they appealed the decision in the first place. Not for the chairman to just go nah you're wrong and we'll stick with our original finding.

Last edited:
Wish people would stop bringing up that Fyfe's intention wasn't to hit Lewis in the head.

It is NOT relevant to the intentional conduct part of the charge.

The 'intentional conduct' refers specifically to his decision to strike, NOT where he was aiming to make contact.

I think his intention was not to hit him in the head :D

Can the AFL charge Freo and Fyfe for wasting everyone's time. Cop your punishment and get on with it.
Whose time are they wasting? An appeal is accompanied with a wad of cash and I'm pretty sure you only get half back if you win.

the difference with the Cox incident is that there was no reason there was contact to the head other than it is where his arm directly went, and it was a soid blow with a forearm/wrist which are commonly used to "strike" people. Who has ever been "struck" with a bicep?
I'm pretty sure Matt Carr got two weeks for "striking" somebody with his bicep in the act of spoiling the ball. Just another of those absurd "it only happens to Freo" suspensions.

Oh really? So I pity your club's players at the MRP if they feel that the outcome is unjust and yet the hierarchy just says "too bad - suck it up".

Fyfe threw a punch at Lewis - he had admitted that. It hit Lewis in the head and felled him. If Freo feel that a 2 weeks suspension for that is unjust, they need help.

Any truth in the rumour this is the soundtrack the Freo legal team will enter the tribunal to?

Last edited:
Why bring a baseball bat into it? Just murkying the waters further.

If a bloke tried to punch me in the chest and through p!ss poor fending I flicked the fist up into my face, I'd feel a bit better about the bloke than if he'd punched me right in the face.

Or would you think both actions are exactly the same? The same result occurred. But the bloke throwing the punch was aiming for a less vulnerable part of your anatomy.
The baseball bat takes things to extremes, but without changing the mechanics of the argument. Your analogy is based upon you willingly being in a fight as opposed to being unwillingly assaulted. If you have chosen to be in a fight fair enough. I dont recall Lewise putting up his dukes, so Fyfe has to cop it.

Bottom dollar - if you are out there to physically hurt someone, like Fyfe admitted that he was, you have to cop the full whack of the consequences of your actions, even if those consequences were wider ranging than you intended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fyfe had hit Lewis in the arm/chest only and hadn't slipped up to contact the head, it is likely it would be classed as insufficient force. The act of Lewis raising his arm has resulted in the head contact. Where is the concession to the aggressor for contributory negligence from the victim?

If Fyfe had hit Lewis in the arm/chest only and hadn't slipped up to contact the head, it is likely it would be classed as insufficient force. The act of Lewis raising his arm has resulted in the head contact. Where is the concession to the aggressor for contributory negligence from the victim?
LOL. You're taking the piss :rolleyes:

LOL. You're taking the piss :rolleyes:
Yeah. Just keeping it interesting while we wait. I could imagine a lawyer arguing that one though.

Yeah. Just keeping it interesting while we wait. I could imagine a lawyer arguing that one though.
I can only think of one...

lionel_hutz.jpg

No doubt your team is the benchmark but it will always level the playing field when a couple of guns are out. I didn't have to think too long before picking Freo in my footy tips last week once I knew the big fella was out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe - how many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back