Game of the Year - An award the game needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
With all the awards out there in various forms (how many cars has G Ablett won by now?), it's always been surprising to me that there is no award for Game of the Year.

Think of it as the Best Picture Oscar for the home and away season. We see classics every year, and they go down in folklore, but wouldn't it be such an easy addition to, say, Brownlow Medal night, to have an award for Game of the Year as voted by a selection panel similar to (but larger than) that which picks the Norm Smith? Sure, we all have our favourites from the past, but as time goes on everyone forgets some truly great games due to the multitude of football one watches in a lifetime. I've wondered why there isn't an official award so as to officially put some great games down in the record books as a part of history.

As an example, what was the best game of 1986? Can anyone actually make a suggestion? Is there a classic from that season that's been forgotten over time? Dipper and Greg Williams won the Brownlow and a simple Google will tell you that, and even though we may not have seen them, their legacy is cemented by winning the award. But which games stood out that year? If there was an award, I'd be pretty keen to hunt down a copy of the game and watch it, but as it is, it's just a bunch of results and I couldn't tell you which game was of the highest quality.

And hey, given the current furore over the state of the game and the quality of low scoring affairs, why not have prize money up for grabs? Maybe $100,000 to each of the teams involved? If you go down in a thriller 130-127, it'd ease the pain somewhat to have a big fat cheque to cash to say that a lot of people respected the effort you put in. We gave out money to the friggin NAB CUP winner, and that was a massive joke in it's final years, why not give it out to two sides who deserve it by going all out?

TL;DR version: let's highlight the years best games on Brownlow night (top 5 style) and give money to the two sides who put on the best game of the year and make it official so they'll be remembered for years in the record books.

Working backwards, here's a few ideas from me on who I'd have picked as winners or honourable mentions. For the record, I'm leaving out finals, because Grand Finals are always remembered and other finals (especially prelims) hold a great weight in terms of importance, so I'll write down the notables, but I'm keeping he award home and away.

Game of the Year: Essendon vs. Fremantle (R3). Might be a bit biased, but I recall people (no matter who they supported) going bananas over this one.
Honourable Mentions: Geelong vs. Hawthorn (R1), Brisbane vs. Geelong (R13), Port Adelaide vs. Adelaide (R19), West Coast vs. North Melbourne (R8), Hawthorn vs. North Melbourne (R5), Adelaide vs. North Melbourne (R9), Brisbane vs. North Melbourne (R16)
Notable Finals: Hawthorn vs. Geelong (Prelim), Fremantle vs. Geelong (QF), Carlton vs. Richmond (EF)

Game of the Year: Geelong vs. Hawthorn (Round 17). If ever a game had it all, this is it, right down to the shot after the siren.
Honourable Mentions: Collingwood vs. Essendon (Anzac Day), St.Kilda vs. Richmond (Rd 3), Fremantle vs. Geelong (R1), Hawthorn vs. Sydney (R22), Carlton vs. Richmond (R18)
Notable Finals: Hawthorn vs. Adelaide (prelim)

Game of the Year: Essendon vs. Geelong (Round 15). Hurt me to cut the Ess-Syd game, but this one was a hell of a game that can't be ignored.
Honourable Mentions: Essendon vs. Sydney (R20), Collingwood vs. Sydney (R14), West Coast vs. Fremantle (R18), Essendon vs. Carlton (R4), Geelong vs. Carlton (R9), Collingwood vs. Adelaide (R9), Sydney vs. Geelong (R23), Hawthorn vs. Sydney (R10)
Notable Finals: Collingwood vs. Hawthorn (prelim), St.Kilda vs. Geelong (EF)

Game of the Year: St.Kilda vs. Hawthorn (R17). A draw. Vividly recall thinking it was game of the year at the time. Stand by it now.
Honourable Mentions: Geelong vs. Hawthorn (R2), Geelong vs. Hawthorn (R15), Fremantle vs. Geelong (R3), Melbourne vs. Port Adelaide (R9), Melbourne vs. Collingwood (R12), North Melbourne vs. Essendon (R17), Hawthorn vs. WB (R14), Hawthorn vs. Collingwood (R22)
Notable Finals: St.Kilda vs. Geelong (QF), Sydney vs. Carlton (EF)

Game of the Year: Geelong vs. St.Kilda (Round 15). I don't see too many arguing this, and if they do, they're wrong.
Honourable Mentions: Essendon vs. St.Kilda (Round 20), Adelaide vs. Essendon (R14), Geelong vs. Hawthorn (Rd17), North Melbourne vs. St.Kilda (R21), Geelong vs. WB (R9)
Notable Finals: St.Kilda vs. WB (prelim)

Too late in the evening to go more in-depth, but here's some single suggestions for the years prior to '09. Will update with more tomorrow.

WB vs. Adelaide (R1)
North Melbourne vs. Collingwood (R5)
Geelong vs. Fremantle (R6)
St.Kilda vs. Richmond (R7)
North Melbourne vs. WB (R9)
Geelong vs. Hawthorn (R17)
Carlton vs. Brisbane (R21)

Port Adelaide vs. Geelong (R21)
Sydney vs. West Coast (R1)
Collingwood vs. North Melbourne (R1)
West Coast vs. Sydney (R16)

West Coast vs. Sydney (R15)
West Coast vs. Geelong (R10)

North Melbourne vs. Collingwood (R4)
Sydney vs. Collingwood (R13)
West Coast vs. North Melbourne (R15)

Essendon vs. West Coast (R3)
West Coast vs. Richmond (R11)
North Melbourne vs. Sydney (R19)
Adelaide vs. Port Adelaide (R20)
Richmond vs. Hawthorn (R21)

Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane (R18)

Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane (R22)

Essendon vs. North Melbourne (R16) (well, obviously)

Anyone have any input on the idea or suggestions for games that should've won?

EDIT: adding in games suggested in the thread

Last edited:

Game of the Year: Essendon vs. Fremantle (R3). Might be a bit biased, but I recall people (no matter who they supported) going bananas over this one.
Honourable Mentions: Geelong vs. Hawthorn (R1), Brisbane vs. Geelong (R13), Port Adelaide vs. Adelaide (R19)
Notable Finals: Hawthorn vs. Geelong (Prelim), Fremantle vs. Geelong (QF), Carlton vs. Richmond (EF)

Game of the Year: Geelong vs. Hawthorn (Round 17). If ever a game had it all, this is it, right down to the shot after the siren.
Honourable Mentions: Collingwood vs. Essendon (Anzac Day), St.Kilda vs. Richmond (Rd 3), Fremantle vs. Geelong (R1), Hawthorn vs. Sydney (R22), Carlton vs. Richmond (R18)
Notable Finals: Hawthorn vs. Adelaide (prelim)

Game of the Year: Essendon vs. Geelong (Round 15). Hurt me to cut the Ess-Syd game, but this one was a hell of a game that can't be ignored.
Honourable Mentions: Essendon vs. Sydney (R20), Collingwood vs. Sydney (R14), West Coast vs. Fremantle (R18), Essendon vs. Carlton (R4), Geelong vs. Carlton (R9)
Notable Finals: Collingwood vs. Hawthorn (prelim)

Game of the Year: St.Kilda vs. Hawthorn (R17). A draw. Vividly recall thinking it was game of the year at the time. Stand by it now.
Honourable Mentions: Geelong vs. Hawthorn (R15), Fremantle vs. Geelong (R3), Melbourne vs. Collingwood (R12), North Melbourne vs. Essendon (R17), Hawthorn vs. WB (R14)
Notable Finals:

Lol at some of your suggestions. The Hawthorn v Geelong prelim was easily the best game of 2013. Apart from just how good the game was, when you add in that it was a prelim, and the rivalry, and the Kennett curse, nothing else really comes close.

2012, i wouldn't have put that game first. The result was close, but Geelong were 50 points up at quarter time, and after that it was generally Hawthorn in control. The game was also plagued by sloppy errors and some shocking umpiring decisions. Not sure what game would go ahead of it, but certainly the Hawthorn v Adelaide prelim, and probably half a dozen other games as well.

2010, again, that match was close, but was a shocking match. Plagued by sloppy errors, and even the drawing goal was Hawthorn mistakes as much as Saint Kilda's good play. Don't remember too many games, but it must have been a terrible year if that was GOTY.

The Collingwood Melbourne draw was way better

Really like the idea in theory, would work well as an extra thing on Brownlow night. Could even work in a way to get some fan participation in the voting.

Lol at some of your suggestions. The Hawthorn v Geelong prelim was easily the best game of 2013. Apart from just how good the game was, when you add in that it was a prelim, and the rivalry, and the Kennett curse, nothing else really comes close.

For the record, I'm leaving out finals, because Grand Finals are always remembered and other finals (especially prelims) hold a great weight in terms of importance, so I'll write down the notables, but I'm keeping the award home and away.

Brisbane 15.13 v Port 15.14 at Gabba Rd 17. Roger James takes a mark 30m/45 deg with a minute to go - takes his time kicks a pt, 15 seconds to go but ball only gets to middle. Back and forth all night at least 15 lead changes and about 5 in the last quarter. I was there

Port 13.12 v Brisbane 13.6 at Footy Park Rd 22 46,439 on a Saturday arvo - Port's biggest ever non showdown crowd until Geelong game 2 weeks ago. Whoever won the game would finish top and if they won the QF next week they would avoid the MCG preliminary final rule. Port up by 26pts at 3/4 time, the fab 4 were magnificent in the last quarter, got Brisbane in front, then it was level with a minute to go, Roger James crumbs off a pack, snaps 25m out near boundary line - goal. I was there.

My team won 2 absolute thrillers at home and away when it was bloody near impossible to win at the Gabba, so it was special but they were two extraordinary games of footy that I was lucky enough to attend both. If Brisbane had of won them I would have still listed them. Both games had everything.

I like the idea.

2007: Sydney vs West Coast Rd 1.

Great game I was at Stadium Australia that night, and the nail biting close finishes between the two teams continued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh that game. Geelong vs St Kilda in 2009 is easily one of the most exciting games that I've seen. I just couldn't believe how good it was. From the build up to the final siren. I would honestly say that it was the best home and away game that I've seen and probably includes most finals too.
Obviously I may be biased, but I'd say that is the best game I've ever seen. Geelong at their height vs st kilda who at the time were simply unbeatable. Both 13 and 0 and in a different sphere to any other team at the time.

Extraordinary build-up. Rd 1 GF rematch, 3rd 1 point margin in a row, Cox a last minute withdrawal with Cousins already errr unavailable.

The Kerr tackle.:hearts:
I kind of miss the Rd 1 GF rematch used to be every year but i suppose if you do it later on it gives both teams the chance to build.

Countering that is that if you have it in say round 10 one team might not be anywhere close to the year before in terms of quality and the game can have a lackluster feel to it.

Yep, I'm a fan of the GF rematch opening the season.

Gives both teams the best chance of having everyone available and apart from any off-season list changes gives a rematch of the sides which contested the GF.

How dull would Freo vs Hawthorn be if it was next week and Mitchell, Hodge, Mcpharlin etc. were all missing?

With all the awards out there in various forms, it's always been surprising to me that there is no award for Game of the Year.
Agree 100% Great idea. I'm amazed the AFL (and Fox Footy) don't have an entire awards night dedicated to the all the great highlights of the year.
  • Play of the year
  • Match of the year
  • Most courageous act
  • biggest bump (legal)
  • best defensive effort
  • best goal assist
  • Best tackle
  • Best handpass
  • Best kick
  • Best hard-ball get
It would showcase all the great skills of our game and make great TV. We see these highlights shown during the week, but why don't they formalise it? No need for idiotic speeches and ceremonies. Just package up a one hour show and show us all the contenders (from different angles) and a replay of the winners. What footy fan wouldn't watch that?

The Mark and Goal of the Year used to be such a big deal. These days, it's become something of an afterthought. Why not spruce it up a little by adding new categories?
  • Most courageous mark.
  • The strongest mark (under pressure, pack marks, etc)
  • Best high mark
Instead of having one award for the best individual goal, why not also have an award for best team goal? The best team goals are always miles better than the flukey individual efforts. End to end skills, as opposed to arsey snaps from the boundary line. It's a bit of a tragedy that none of the great team goals from yesteryear have been packaged onto 7's highlight reels. Instead, all we see are the solo efforts.

We have the All Australian awards night, but there should also be positional best player awards
  • best defender
  • best forward
  • best midfielder
People might say the Brownlow equals "best midfielder", but the Brownlow only scores players' best games. They should poll the coaches (and their assistants) to find the 3 best players in each category. I reckon they would be the best judges.

Last edited:
Plenty come close.
I rate the Freo v Geelong match as equal.

Terrible idea. Sounds like you've all been listening to the old people on talkback and radio shows too much who bemoan the days when footy was slow and painfull to watch with unfit unskilled players who hacked the ball around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game of the Year - An award the game needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back