Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't even cut them at a five leaf node either the ignorant bastards.
My garden in Port Melbourne was cutting central ,I could see versions of my plants all around the neighbourhood some asked some didnt, it didnt matter I was happy for them to improve their gardens most of my stuff was cutting from friends and clients.
but when
I planted up my place to sell
I had 2 identical plants at the gate someone just took one and left a hole it was like a missing tooth .....I replaced it and the colour wasnt exact still looked odd
They also dug up my daffodils I planted in the front nature strip around the street tree....they waited until they flowered to do it , again missing teeth effect..... :(

It wouldnt matter if there was heaps and they had started to throw bulbs I would have even dug up a few for them and given them some if they asked,but not when I plant ten and you take 5 of them....grrrrr

Some bugger has stolen some of my roses, they were just starting to bud again and someone has cut a whole lot of them overnight.
A mouse ate a vase of carnations at my place, I bet it was him.

No, but that's shitty. Do you have a CCTV?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had 1 at each end of the vineyard
Even in the subtropics roses grow pretty easily if you get a tough one suited to the climate.....its other factors you have to contend with.....grrrr

Roses are an ongoing commitment. Glad my house doesn't have any, no way I would put them in.
Half an hour a week with a bit of love and attention at the beginning and end of seasons. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it.

Ive always had climbers over walls and pergolas in Melbourne

I like the David Austins
I nearly bought a rose nursery in a past life

I've literally got hundreds of flowers in bloom at the moment. About 25 rose bushes around the place. Someone has told me a couple are David Austin Roses. Very tight flowers. Can someone tell me how to and the best time to take cuttings?

View attachment 1291945
Could be The Generous Gardner ???

In South Australia, hardwood cuttings are generally taken in late April, May and June. The best results, in my experience, are with cuttings taken in early May.

Maybe a bit later for Tassie

Last edited:
Ok then. Just renovated our fernery, replaced rotted rafters and shade cloth. Luckily got it done before the rain. Cleared all the weeds out and repopulated with new hanging baskets to supplement the remaining half-decent ones, plus a herb tray. Some petunia baskets around the outside. Very happy with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back